Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree503Likes

Thread: SOTM BBcode Tutorial

Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 951 Posts
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

SOTM BBcode Tutorial

This image is meant as self-deprecation. Please don't take it at face value.

When I took over the SOTM, I noticed something lacking: it's a contest focused on graphics design, yet the threads had a severe lack of graphics. At the time, Checkmate had begun adding more CSS-like functions to thread formatting, but he was pretty much the only one using them in some of his eroge threads. I thought, well, why not give 'em a shot to add more lustre to SOTM threads?

Now, before we go on, I must stress that this thread is meant to explore only my SOTM formatting and functions specific to it. It'd take more to fully explore all the available functions―you'd need to know a thing or two about CSS to be able to fully utilise them―though we hope to someday get around to doing so. The aim of this thread is to help you construct something with similar formatting if you so choose should you ever get the chance of running an SOTM round. I'll also share my resources like the header images and such that I used in my SOTM threads.

There are other elements in the series containing similar code such as the voting thread or winner announcement post, but I'll cover those sometime later. Let's begin by taking a look at the formatting I use for my SOTM threads and what components are there:

Maybe you're already well-versed with CSS and would like to try it out right away. You can get the raw BBcode by quoting one of my posts (don't forget to omit the [QUOTE] tag that will automatically be added to enclose the post contents!).

That's right, this is the quickie version: I'll dive straight into the codes and which part you can edit to achieve what results. It'll take a pretty big thread to cover all the options the codes present―something I still aim to do, but also worry that the verbosity will dissuade people from reading further. This quickie version aims to let you know enough to use my code―if you so choose; I'm not saying you have to―if you ever get the chance of running an SOTM thread and adjust it to have your own elements (theme images, etc).

First things first: the background. Look for this snippet within the code I directed you to two paragraphs earlier, which controls how the background behaves and what you can do to tweak and adjust the options to your liking:
    Code:
    [box=url('http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/77442_t0hnp/pimapatternlqdarker.jpg') fixed; position:relative; margin-top: -20px; overflow:visible; |transparent|0|0|0]
    There are only two main aspects of the snippet that are critical to adjusting the background, as outlined below:

• The image URL is unquestionably the single element with the most visible impact on your post. No need to use [IMG] and such here, but make sure to enclose your direct image URL within parentheses and single quotation marks. Please use a reliable image hosting service that won't eat your image or trim down its quality.
    • There are many ways with which to position your background, but we'll only cover two here:

1. The fixed attribute makes your background image stay in a fixed position even as you scroll all the way down the page. If you'd like to make the background move along when you scroll down, just like a regular image, simply remove the fixed attribute. If you do choose to remove it, make sure you're using repeated patterns as your background as otherwise a long enough page can scroll beyond the height of the background easily.
      2. The margin attribute specifies the relative positioning of your background. In this case, margin-top: -20px means that my background image is pushed upwards by 20 pixels. If you'd like your background image to get partially 'eaten' into the left edge of the screen, for example, you could use margin-left: -30px. Similar attributes include margin, margin-bottom and margin-right.

Next up, we've got the header image. This snippet is very simple and includes only code you probably use on a daily basis if you're a regular poster. If you're not familiar with the code below, simply change the image URL with your own.
    Code:
    [center][img]http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/81697_6b6ry/SOTM34.png[/img][/center]
    If you're going to use a different image for the header, depending on the image and your choice of layout, you may prefer not using [CENTER] or using [RIGHT] instead. That's up to you. If you're going to use my header image, here's the file in PSD and XCF for Photoshop and GIMP, respectively―you only need to edit the numbers to reflect the current SOTM round.

SOTM header image template (PSD, 3.93 MB) Download | Mirror
    SOTM header image template (XCF, 2.22 MB) Download | Mirror

We've got two items next on our list: the two images that compose a section separator; the section header image and the bar underneath it (which I'm going to call the "section liner").
    Code:
    [box=url('http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/77605_auswp/cremeliner.png') no-repeat 50% 70%; ||||][img]http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/77427_4jiis/sotmsectionheader1.png[/img][/box]
    It's pretty long and may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but don't worry. The snippet contains the whole opening part of the [BOX] tag that composes the section header in its entirety, but we can split it into two parts: the liner and the section header image.

Doesn't it look much easier now? The part for section header image is really just the most basic code for embedding an image link, which I hope should be self-explanatory. The only part that you need to change is the image URL. It's really simple, but if you'd like to make something based on my section header images, here are the PSD and XCF (although they contain only a bunch of layers and basic styling).

SOTM section header image template (PSD, 1.18 MB) Download | Mirror
    SOTM section header image template (XCF, 956 KB) Download | Mirror

Since the header image is straightforward and doesn't provide for options to tweak it with (not that you can't experiment on your own; I merely didn't use any), let's move on to the liner part. This is also pretty simple; all you really need to change is the image URL. However, if that's all you're going to change, make sure your image has similar characteristics to mine: long, slender, and intended to cross the page horizontally while being layered by the section header image. Otherwise, take a look at the options:

• The no-repeat attribute, as the phrase suggests, prevents your background image from repeating either horizontally or vertically. Technically, the liner image acts in a way identical to the background image, as it sits beneath other elements (the section header image in this case). You don't have to follow my format for the section separator with two images being interposed as such, of course, but if you do and do use a liner image like mine, you'll likely not want to repeat it like you would the background image.
    • The percentages control how your liner image is relatively positioned. The simplified explanation is that the first percentage affects horizontal positioning, with 0% being left and 100% being right; while the second affects vertical positioning, with 0% being top and 100% being bottom. Thus, my percentages of 50% and 70% could be construed to mean that, relative to section header image (because it is contained within the same BOX tag as the liner image), the liner image is horizontally centred and 70% of the way to the bottom. At least in theory. If you use a different image, just experiment with the percentages to find out the right amount for you (or drop them altogether).

The liner image is even simpler than the section header image, but here are the PSD and XCF anyway.

SOTM section liner image template (PSD, 613 KB) Download | Mirror
    SOTM section liner image template (XCF, 36 KB) Download | Mirror

And now we get to the meat of the tutorial: the body of the post, in which I tend to ramble. This is arguably the most complex part, as it comprises a mix of elements high in both diversity, amount, and customisability. You can apply any combination of everything you know about our pseudo-CSS code here to a wide variety of effect; from the most lively post full of bells and whistles to a disaster of unreadable text and high-contrast images. Make sure to experiment and make extensive use of the forum's built-in "Preview Changes" feature before submitting your post!

As pretty much every permutation of what pseudo-CSS code we have available is applicable, I'll only be covering some of the basics in this thread. Hopefully you're still looking at the long BBcode I directed you to quote from my post earlier, because the snippet we're going to use is the opening tags that define the formatting for my "Ignispedia, the nonexistent encylopaedia" paragraph. Here's the code:
    Code:
    [box=url(''); width:75%; ||||][indent][FONT=Century Gothic][justify][quote]
    To make things easier, I'm going to divide the snippet into three groups as outlined below:

• Unlike other snippets which use the [BOX] tag, we've got an empty URL here. Just like the overall background we covered at the beginning, if you give an image URL here, the specific area of text covered by the [BOX] tag will have a background image. I would recommend that you do not use a background image beneath certain paragraphs if you already specified one for the entire post. (That said, having multiple backgrounds―a main background that encompasses all and sub-background images for different paragraphs―could make for a really sophisticated design if done properly.)
    • As with positioning, there are many ways to adjust the alignment of your post body, but we're going to zoom in on just three methods included in the snippet.

1. The width attribute limits the width of your post body (or whatever is contained within the [BOX] tag). This allows you to have a fixed layout a la blogs for certain parts of your post while still letting other parts of it have the fluid layout of the forum. You can have an absolute value in pixels here, such as 960px, or a relative one such as my 75%. I favour using a relative value because people have different screen sizes and a relative value makes the post width adapt to whatever screen width you have. An absolute value such as 960px may make it look too narrow on a 1920x1080 screen but too wide on a 1366x768 screen.
      2. The [INDENT] tag pushes whatever is wrapped in it a bit to the right (it has no effect if the [RIGHT] alignment is used alongside it). Please note that it does need a closing tag. (It's something that's always been there and not part of the relatively-new pseudo-CSS code.) You may not need to use it; I did because in my view in helps align better the body of text I wrapped in the colourful boxes.
      3. The [JUSTIFY] tag is in the same kind as [LEFT], [CENTER] and [RIGHT]. It makes all the next wrapped within form a nice column with unvarying width not unlike the justify function in rich-text editors such as Libre Office or Microsoft Word. Like [INDENT], it's not part of the pseudo-CSS code.

• There are all sorts of ways with which you can stylise your text. The [FONT] tag is one such way that some people possibly use on a daily basis. The [QUOTE] tag is likely used even more often, although perhaps not for this kind of purpose. I'm highlighting its usage here because I used it for pure aesthetics; to give the callout-like shape commonly seen in comics to the text contained within. My usage of it is identical to that of the colourful boxes, the details of which you can see on page 4 of our 2013 update guide. (If you missed that, or joined after the date and never got to know that, I recommend that you also read the rest.)

And with that, we've covered pretty much all the basics!

Yes. Yes, I did. I know I tend to get verbose and probably did in this post, but this really covers only the basics. You'll note that I took very few snippets comprising very little of the entire array of codes I used in my SOTM threads, but that's because I don't want to complicate this supposed-to-be-a-quickie tutorial even more. This should also give you a rough image of how big the thread would be if I were to elaborate on all the possible functions. (For what it's worth: I took an optional class on web design in college just for the lulz extra credits and I think I learnt less than this in one semester.)

Anyway, just a reminder, but there are some other details you still need to pay attention to. First, don't forget to change my ramblings under the theme section. The changes I make in each new SOTM are usually only limited there, too, unless I'm updating the rules or something (something that has happened only once or twice). It's up to you whether you want to follow my formatting, though of course I don't expect anyone to write long delusional ramblings like I always do. Don't forget to adjust the deadline date and linked threads as well.

For the theme image, I find 600x500 a good resolution that fits the confines of my formatting well, but suit yourself. A little advice if you ever find yourself having problems searching for the URL for the theme image within all the codes: right-click on the image, choose "copy image location" (the exact words may differ depending on what browser you use), open the code (such as by quoting the post), and do a search with Ctrl-F for the URL you copied earlier (paste it in the search bar).

Finally, while not mandatory, I highly recommend that you disable your signature upon posting so as not to distract readers from your richly-formatted post. Before you submit your post, scroll down past the submit button and uncheck the "show your signature" option as shown below:

Got any questions? Comments? Suggestions? Love letters? Or maybe I suck and should be given the pink slip already? I'm all ears!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

One of countless souls... nanashi1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,087 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    SOTM #29 WinnerSOTM #54 Winner

Re: SOTM BBcode Tutorial

Hi @Ignis;!

Ehmm... I had first at BG the question: Does have the BG-image-resolution an influence? - I do mean; if I an BG of 750p. in width installing/insert would (A reminder: I having an 1600×900 screen) - Would e.g. at an 1920×1080 (and more) screen the BG dragged out, or it'd keep the resolution of 750p?

And I can my own BG/Head image/etc.-style give...?
    Ignore This Signature
      Spoiler: ASF's contest  
    Notice: The following banners/notices are to their contests/threads linked, if you wanna to there join then click it!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nanashi1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi1 View Post
    Ehmm... I had first at BG the question: Does have the BG-image-resolution an influence? - I do mean; if I an BG of 750p. in width installing/insert would (A reminder: I having an 1600×900 screen) - Would e.g. at an 1920×1080 (and more) screen the BG dragged out, or it'd keep the resolution of 750p?
    The dimension of background image itself does affect how it will look, but if it's already smaller than the screen, it makes no difference. A 750x750 background has no difference on a 1600x900 screen or a 1920x1080 one and will not stretch to fit the screen size. The only difference is whether you use the no-repeat and fixed tag. If you use no-repeat, your background image will just be a single image that doesn't repeat nor stretch to fill the screen. For example, the snippet below
    Code:
    [box=url('http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/83495_qwxmi/750.png') no-repeat; ||||]

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. 

[/box]
    will produce this kind of outcome:

If you don't use no-repeat, your background will be duplicated as many times as needed to fill the screen. The snippet below
    Code:
    [box=url('http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/83495_qwxmi/750.png') ||||]

[/box]
    will produce this kind of outcome:

The second example may look like it just uses a wider image, but if you check out the image link used in both examples, you'll see that it's a 750x750 image. Also, as you can see, your background adjusts with the vertical post length. This means that, even if you have a background with 750 pixels of height, it won't go outside the boundaries of the post (or anything wrapped inside the BOX tag) if it doesn't reach that height.

And I can my own BG/Head image/etc.-style give...?
    Yes, of course.
    nanashi1 and unownHGSS like this.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:

Okay, let me then test these...

Test 1

Test2

Hi @Ignis;!

But the head image('s) and the other BBcodes are of course then in the BG box inserted, right? - Yeah, this may a stupid question of me...xD
    Last edited by nanashi1; January 3rd, 2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Ignore This Signature
    Notice: The following banners/notices are to their contests/threads linked, if you wanna to there join then click it!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nanashi1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,933 Posts
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    SOTM #25 WinnerSOTM #28 WinnerSOTM #34 WinnerSOTM #46 WinnerSOTM #53 Winner

@Ignis; If I were to grade my BB Coding skills from 1 to 10, it'd be -1. Stuff like this has never been my forte.. That being said, I really like the idea of having other people host the SOTM from scratch and I'd love to give it a shot in the future so thanks for that. But I'll have to give your tut a thorough read a few times before I even try X3
    Ignore This Signature

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unownHGSS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

But the head image('s) and the other BBcodes are of course then in the BG box inserted, right? - Yeah, this may a stupid question of me...xD
    An honest question is never stupid Yes, if you want to wrap your entire post within your background image (like I do with my SOTM threads), you put everything inside the [BOX] tag. If the entire code that composed the thread I linked in the tutorial is too much, here's a simplified version (with line breaks and spacing to make reading easier) that still keeps everything conceptually similar,
    Code:
    [box=url('http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/77442_t0hnp/pimapatternlqdarker.jpg') ||||]

[center]

[img]http://ignis.anime-sharing.com/vault/files/83535_5jgr8/sotmlogochibiv1.png[/img]

[boxblue]

[font=Century Gothic][size=5][color="#000000"][b]Everyone should join the SOTM![/b][/color][/size][/font]

[/boxblue]

[/center]

[/box]
    and produces this kind of outcome:

Everyone should join the SOTM!

Quote Originally Posted by unownHGSS View Post
    @Ignis; If I were to grade my BB Coding skills from 1 to 10, it'd be -1. Stuff like this has never been my forte.. That being said, I really like the idea of having other people host the SOTM from scratch and I'd love to give it a shot in the future so thanks for that. But I'll have to give your tut a thorough read a few times before I even try X3
    That's quite alright; different people have different proficiencies and all that. (For what it's worth: I, too, consider coding in general my intolerable weakness.) Upon rereading, I realise that my "quickie" is anything but. I plan to make something even simpler―something that will barely have any explanation and only point to which important parts (such as image URLs) must be changed to what result. Maybe sometime this week.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Okay, Thank you very much @Ignis; - I'll this in mind keep...xD

Well, then I'll the SOTM after the 4th open (because it's the deadline of the currently SOTM, Dec.), - so far am' then ready with the stuff^_^

Edit: Bye and g'night all...
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,933 Posts
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    SOTM #25 WinnerSOTM #28 WinnerSOTM #34 WinnerSOTM #46 WinnerSOTM #53 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    That's quite alright; different people have different proficiencies and all that. (For what it's worth: I, too, consider coding in general my intolerable weakness.) Upon rereading, I realise that my "quickie" is anything but. I plan to make something even simpler―something that will barely have any explanation and only point to which important parts (such as image URLs) must be changed to what result. Maybe sometime this week.
    I might not be as "quickie" as you thought but, I probably mentioned this before, you're good at making tutorials. It's all very clear ^^ So, I think even I should get the general idea. From what I've read so far at least :3
    But an even simpler version would be great too, much appreciated.

One more thing regarding SOTM 34 Poll. Will the Poll be opened by you or.. ? Seeing as SOTM 35 is coming to an end as well. I don't mean to rush or anything but I was just curious.
    Ignore This Signature

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unownHGSS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Well, then I'll the SOTM after the 4th open (because it's the deadline of the currently SOTM, Dec.), - so far am' then ready with the stuff^_^
    Sounds good. If you're unsure about anything, I can review your code if you want. Feel free to consult me first before submitting your thread. Private messaging is limited to 10,000 characters, though, so you may want to try a paste service like pastebin.com, paste.ee, and others if it's too long.

Quote Originally Posted by unownHGSS View Post
    I might not be as "quickie" as you thought but, I probably mentioned this before, you're good at making tutorials. It's all very clear ^^ So, I think even I should get the general idea. From what I've read so far at least :3
    But an even simpler version would be great too, much appreciated.

One more thing regarding SOTM 34 Poll. Will the Poll be opened by you or.. ? Seeing as SOTM 35 is coming to an end as well. I don't mean to rush or anything but I was just curious.
    Thanks! A bad or hard-to-understand tutorial can be measured by the amount of complaints and such, but a good one is pretty hard to measure as people who do find the tutorial helpful may just apply the knowledge they learnt silently. That's all well and good, and I don't mind in the slightest, but I sometimes worry―in the larger context, not limited to just AS―if I only end up confusing people more than before they read my tutorial (or heard my explanation), but discourage them from asking more because they feel I'd just point them to my tutorial or earlier explanation. So any feedback is highly appreciated.

...But yes, as I'm sure you can tell from just that paragraph alone, my tendency to get verbose is hard to get rid of (despite me actually being a very private person and not liking others knowing about my life). I'll deliver the TL;DR version of the guide soon enough.

As for the poll, yes, I'll do it, also for #35 unless @Dark Angel; would rather he do it as well. Thanks for reminding me, actually; I had my attention distracted during New Years' and kinda messed up my priorities. The polls shall be up soon™.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    Sounds good. If you're unsure about anything, I can review your code if you want. Feel free to consult me first before submitting your thread. Private messaging is limited to 10,000 characters, though, so you may want to try a paste service like pastebin.com, paste.ee, and others if it's too long.
    Hi Ignis!

Well, I'll probably at tomorrow-night done with the projest(s) - With the head image am' already done, I've then only the few section linres (and maybe also the BG) to do.

So-and-so then, if you the green-lit giving at tomorrow, then I'll the SOTM at 6th open, okay...xD?

Edit: Dont't worry Ignis, I'll keep below 10K...xD
    Ignore This Signature

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nanashi1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information