Not a Bug Incorrect Checking of Message Text Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anayomex

唯一の存在です
Elite Member
Nov 16, 2013
Let me first say that this may not be the bug and you can remove this thread quickly before proceed with reading specially because
I'm using it so I don't need write 10 characters lenght of message every time. (Well sometimes)
:XD:

For example if you Post the message (without quotes)

Code:
"This is some                whitespace."

Then the text will be displayed as

Code:
"This is some whitespace."  [COLOR="#61BD6D"]// Which is correct it should remove unnecessary whitespace[/COLOR]

But what if we Post the message like this (without quotes)

Code:
"a                     b" [COLOR="#F37934"]// This will by-pass the character length warning[/COLOR]

Then the text will be displayed as

Code:
"a b"  //Which is correct it should remove unnecessary whitespace but [COLOR="#F37934"]lenght of String is only 3 characters[/COLOR]

As you can see the function which check the String length should first remove unnecessary whitespaces or if you
actually pass the String to Function you should first remove whitespaces.

Note 1: I could try reply to this thread if is necessary to prove it.
Note 2: There may be other Bugs or they may not and to tell you the truth I don't really wish to waste your time because is similar as this one
is not really important and you are probably pretty strict about those reports.

Sorry if I made any mistake I just wrote this here quickly.

That's not a bug, glitch, or otherwise an unintended loophole. vBulletin―the forum software used on this site―has been like that for as long as I can remember. It's been long known that, if you only need to post something very short and nothing else but the character limit doesn't allow it, you can put multiple spaces between the words (or a word followed by multiple spaces and then a period). Indeed, the only way I know of to not trigger the loophole is to use [code] tags. However, most vBulletin webmasters I know of, including ourselves, don't consider this a concern as it's actually quite useful―like if you only need to reply by saying "yes" or "no."

(As a side note, the 10-character limit is as good as none, and you can exploit pretty much anything from dashes to ellipses to overcome it.)

We appreciate any and all reports of anything that doesn't look right, whether it turns out to be an actual bug or not, so please don't hesitate to make a thread in this section for that very purpose.

Upvote 0
I'll just say "This is a feature, not a bug". This is how the system is expected to behave: stripped all white spaces.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well to be exact whitespaces actually are not removed. If you make a post like this and then you want to edit the post
then you can see, that there are still all whitespaces they were not removed but then again when message is actually displayed the whitespaces are removed.

Upvote 0
The white space is only stripped from being displayed. However, white space won't be counted toward character limits.

Is that what you want to know or is it something else?

Upvote 0
Yes that's it.

Then let me go to next issue I don't really think it's deserve own thread since is nothing to be really concerned about.

Well you have opened the Forum Thread in one of the tabs in the Browser.
Then you make Quick Reply to this thread. Then you go away and leave this tab opened as it is.
Then after certain ammount of time you came back (maybe few hours) and you want Make Quick Reply
again to this thread you will get the Warning I don't remember exactly but it says something about

token or session has expired please refresh Web Page

which I know is normal and is nothing wrong. However the real problem comes after:
Then I refresh this tab (Click refresh button or F5) and I want to make Quick Reply I again receive the same message that session has expired.
Even if I refresh page like 5 times I still get the same warning. The solution is to close this tab and open thread again from scratch or if this thread
have more than 1 page(more than 10 Posts) the soulition is to actually click on Previous page or any other page like first page and then making a Quick Reply.

Upvote 0
token or session has expired please refresh Web Page

Let me explain first, whenver you login into the forum, it gives you a "security token", this security token embed your account data and is stored in your browsers local storage, as well as a copy on AS Server. This token identified you with the server, so the server knows who it is communicating with. The token expiry depends on if you either select "Remember Me" when you login or not. If you set Remember Me, the token expired period is set at 60 days or when your browser delete it. If you didn't set Remember, the token is valid for 15 minutes, and after that, the server will delete it at its end, if you don't use it (by posting, visitting around,etc). If that case happen, when you come back and post something, it will say "token or session has expired please refresh Web Page"

Now when you refresh the browser, most the browser thinks it's smart enough that it will not query our server, instead, pulls off a cached version from your browser local storage, which save you a hell load of page loading, make it seems it faster. Unfortunately, because of that, it will still use the very same token. This can't be fixed from our end and it differs from browsers to browsers, . You can try a hard refresh (Shift F5 or Ctrl F5, depending on your browsers make/model) or tell your browser not to cache anything (bad idea, though)

Upvote 0
Yes that makes sense, By the way I have checked option to Remember me so I have only logged in first time
and all this time I am automatically logged in (currently 10 days) I never need to log in again.
But this token still expires since i get the warning (even though I am always logged in)?

Upvote 0
Some action still require a sub token, such as editing a post. If you were editing the message and leave it half-way, then it will expire, this is a security mechanism.

However, quick reply shouldn't have any problem.

Advance Reply does, however.

Upvote 0
Well this is actually about Quick Reply as I said it looks like after certain ammount of time token for Quick Reply also expires or they may be some other tokens which he refers to or something else but I guess we don't need go so deep is not really such big issue.

Upvote 0
I can't really reproduce your problem there, so I don't know, I'm speculating though ;)

anyhow, a hard refresh should solve your problem, just make sure you save all of what you wrote ;)

Upvote 0
Cookies (which store your login session) don't have to expire for security token to expire. The latter always expires after a set amount of time even if you check the "remember me" box when you log in. As far as I know, this applies to all submissions, whether quick reply, quick edit and other AJAX features or advanced reply, because the URL for replying/editing in advanced mode stems from the thread you visit (or the post you want to edit). You can't reply to a thread without visiting said thread first even if you know the URL for advanced reply.

For example, such an URL for this thread is http://www.anime-sharing.com/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=172607 ― try to open this in a new tab without going to the thread first.

If you're typing lots of stuff and don't see the auto-save message that usually appears once in a while on the corner of your post/edit box, it's a good indication that your security token has expired. Before you regret losing everything you've typed, copy all the text and secure it somewhere (Notepad, for example), reload the page, and resume typing/editing your post. The only exception to this may be submitting a private message as the URL to send a private message to a certain user is always the same in all situations (unless you go to the advanced mode of private message submission, by which the above rules apply).

Upvote 0
Yes that probably it since it does take some time before it actually happens. Of course if I'm writing long posts or need some time to think before I actually start writing then I usually write them in text editor because they are also other things like crashes or power outage...

There are also other issues concerning vBulletin but i guess is not worth mention it since you already aware of for example if you want to write spoiler, you write text, click spoiler icon and then will ask you "Please enter the option for your
tag"
and if you keep it blank, then spoiler won't work correctly, you have to type at least one space or something.

Upvote 0
Yes, what matters in the actual code is the existence of the equals sign (=). If you manually type the BBcode instead of using the button, as long as it follows the [spoiler=]text[/spoiler] format, it should work even if you have nothing―not even a space―between the equals sign and the closing square bracket. This is considered a non-issue, however.

Upvote 0
You haven't seen it all

Can't [hl-blue]wait[/hl-blue] until we are [hl-green]done[/hl-green] with [hl-berry]everything[/hl-berry]

Our current progress:

[progressbar-skyblue=60]Forum Works[/progressbar-skyblue]
NOTICE: You can try them to see for yourself too!

Upvote 0
I don't know what you really meant but Of course I didn't see it all, I'm only 14 days registered by the way.

Upvote 0
I was just showcasing and half-joking along the way.

If you're satisfied with the resolution presented in this thread, we will mark it as solved ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah you can close it and maybe rename the thread because is not really the bug as you have said.

By the way how did you use highlight tag with colors. If I use it without colors it looks like this some text but if I use it with parameter "=blue" it doesn't work. Oh yes this is still under development...

Upvote 0
I'll have some sort of guidebook up soon™ to introduce the new features as well as explain how to use them.

Issue resolved; thread locked.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha
Irish99 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi if you get time can you reupload this please.