Denied Recommendation Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

javascript

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2011
Is it possible to have a recommendation system for people to pick their top 1-3 fav. per month per genre?
For example, your top 3 anime this month, top 3 H game that month
Then the site use the stats to make a recommendation list for the most fav. anime/comic/games/novel (H and non-H) every month or so - basically 8 category lists per month, each list may have 10 objects.
Unlike those specialized sites which have a huge database for the items in their genres, the Recommendation Central only keep a local small list of recommendations by members.

It can serve as an entry point guide for new comers or people who took a break and now return.
And it can also generate more chances of discussion.

I don't think AS is geared to automatically track such things. I suspect the software changes alone would be a nightmare.

Are you volunteering to do all the statistical work such a thing would need? If so, you could start such a thread, and track the recommendations in the thread. I'm sure folks would appreciate your hard work.

Each forum, anime, manga, etc., already have threads which make recommendations. You might visit the most current threads with the most posts, to find recommended material. One advantage of these threads, is that posters often add brief reviews to their recommendations.

Upvote 0
The thing with recommendations is that they're very subjective. If you were looking for an anime with intense action, you probably wouldn't take recommendations from someone who actively professed their love for My Little Pony. Members are free to write about what series they like whether as reviews or flat-out recommendations.

For example, our own Checkmate has been writing about some upcoming eroge that cater to his taste. His views are totally biased, but might as well make your tastes apparent when you're recommending something to someone, right?

Diversity in opinions is all well and good. When you impose a staff-sanctioned system on the entire norm, however, you reduce much of it―which, in my view, is one of the few good things with subjectivism―as that arbitrarily places staff members' opinions above other members'. As Leggy mentioned, changes from a technical standpoint might also be necessary, if only to streamline the process.

Now, someone might come and say that a "staff's pick" kind of feature would prove more feasible. This might be true; however, there's still this problem about whether or not the staff members themselves will actually be interested in doing such a thing.

Upvote 0
No, I'm not looking for specialized recommendations but the most popular or highest rated stuff within a period of time (month or week) - check if there's any short spikes or permanent peaks. It doesn't really reflect the popularity in the whole world but just a reflection of the local domain.
Searching Google would only give random stuff.

Subjectiveness is wanted as I'm looking for people's preference.
It has to be done with a forum BBS add-on. There's probably not much stat in it but would depend on the BBS add-on.
Just like the download counts, but it serve the bit after trying.
Of course, if there's no such add-on then just call it a day.

Upvote 0
Why not use AniDB or MAL if you're interested in statistics? Loads more people there to even out blibs.

Upvote 0
Different sites can have different foci on their materials. For this site, I guess the H- or E- stuff can be weighted more heavily.
Doujinshi & doujin games, for example, are not covered by the two sites mentioned.

If allowed, I guess the CG artists or character designers per game or books can be voted too.
They are the fathers & mothers of (almost) all of your avatars and signatures.

Upvote 0
I'll be honest that right now I still have no idea of how we can implement this correctly except for turning into another vndb.org like - plus links to download. Something --- well, I don't plan to do yet.

This idea is much more complicated than being said. And I haven't touched the technical part yet.

For now we are not going to focus on this idea and work on our upcoming projects, which consist of Kii.re and a few more surprises.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。
nanashinanashi wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/111125-overdrive-d2b-vs-deardrops-cross-the-future.1174725/ to katefile or mexashare or rosefile.Thanks
Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.