Denied Improved calender with release dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoxxy

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2011
Is it possible to modify the current calendar or implement a new one which lists official released and soon to be material ? Something like this or this possible the data can even be pulled off said sites ? Now here is the tricky part... I not only wish that we get the stuff listed on the calender but also that we know when the stuff is released on unofficial channels (when it's on share, or a torrent is made, etc), something like this site has:
example.JPG

As you see there it shows all the stuff with their official release date and automatically highlights in green the ones that I subscribed to and has been released on a unofficial channel, the ones in grey is something that I subscribed to but has not yet been released on a unofficial channel. As you see this is a great thing to have, its really organized and saves people lots of time.

Any member can use the forum calendar to add events, as covered by the FAQ.

What's impossible is retrieving, for example, an API from a calendar used by Getchu listing upcoming hentai game releases. And that's just an impossibility from the technical standpoint, which doesn't take into account the very real possibility of Getchu not having such an API to begin with or not allowing a site like ours to use it even if it had one. In other words, even if we could successfully implement a new calendar that could work with APIs to pull event dates from other sources, it would still be a very unlikely feat to accomplish.

Also, keeping track on such material released through "unofficial channels" is a lost cause. While "scene" releases for western content are often organised and can be predicted dates in advance, the Japanese P2P "scene" is anything but. The only other option left is to have someone manually do the bookkeeping, including gathering information on upcoming games from official or otherwise reliable sources, watching P2P networks and possibly 2ch threads for updates, and making a nice list out of all the scattered information. Oh, this person will also need to account for delays, which happen quite regularly these last few years.

There's also the fact that the list s/he makes will be good only for one-time use as it will be obsolete after a month has passed and s/he will then have to compose a new one.

As I'm sure anyone reading this would have inferred by now, even though it would be a nice thing to have, we simply refuse to undertake such a task.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it would not be a easy task to do manually hence I though that the data could be pulled off sites like anidb or vndb, unless the goal is to only keep track of the most popular material. I did not expect anyone to check all the internet for unofficial releases, specially when it comes to japanese stuff which by all means is very disorganized like you said, I was thinking something more simple and for AS alone. As you see a calender alone is somewhat easy to check on 3rd parties so its not that important, what it's not that easy is checking unofficial releases ready for DL, perhaps the word 'calender' is not the most appropriate to describe it, before I attached an image from a website, from a private TV tracker website to be more exact, and I already explained it, contrary to what you may think it's not tracking any scene PRE database to gather information, it is just tracking internal releases uploaded by its own users which get automatically highlighted if anyone of said users have by any chance subscribed or favorite a show, by highlighted I mean you get to see it on the website's own scheduled/calendar list or you get to go to your control panel to say it like that and check for newly released shows that you subscribed to and got released, it's some kind of advance request that you get notify when its filled. Granted the website in question is a torrent tracker and AS is a forum so I'm not so sure if it would be viable to do it here, on my mind it would work like this:

Minori's next game is scheduled to release on 2014/01/31, its something that I'm looking for so I favorite/subscribe to this entry on a given list of upcoming games and when lets say girlcelly makes a new thread with said game ready for DL, it would automatically popup on the site gaming list or my own control panel! Off course AS itself needed to provided said list in advance thus my use of the word 'calender', I suppose it would be less burdensome if said list would disregard specific releases and dates and would only have companies on it so in this case when something of Minori is released I get notified, just like the website example I gave where you favorite the shows you like and if any subsequent release regarding that show is made it lets you know as if was a subscription of yours.

I just wanted to clarify my suggestion a little bit, it's not that crucial of a thing, it's just something I though would be cool to have here since atm AS is where I mostly check for releases and it's good enough for me. Anyway I'm not an expert on the technical difficulties to implement something like it on a forum, the closest thing that I know off is when you have an IRC bot spaming any new post or thread that is made.

Upvote 0
This isn't feasible from a forum software perspective. The way trackers do this is by having members fill out forms when uploading, which are then used by the tracker software (usually Gazelle) to generate series pages that group all the releases of the same type. This works well when you only have one type of content, but falls apart completely when you have to deal with a dozen (lowest way of counting gets us to eight, by the way) - each different section would need a different source to pull the data from and we'd require around twice the manpower to ensure information pages are filled out correctly and uploads in the right places. It's just not possible.
We do, however, have the advantage that everything relevant lands on the forum in less than a day (and often less than an hour). Since new threads generate an entry in the forum's RSS feeds, any user can easily set up something like what you want with FlexGet. Might not be as comfortable since you have to write five lines of configuration instead of clicking two boxes, but it's a good experience for the future because it works always, everywhere, and often better than notification systems.

Upvote 0
Actually the website in question is not based on gazelle, it's sort of custom made and I believe half of the stuff needs to be done manually, in any case I know off other trackers that run under gazelle and does what I mentioned in a fully automated manner. That said I understand that when it comes to a forum it's a totally different matter, if only AS were to run it's own tracker...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

rean7 wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/040130-tinkerbell-あぶない関係.819442/ to katefile or mexashare.Thanks
mikanbatake wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
dear Nihonjaki90
Do you have this PRETTY×CATION ラブラブバースデーコレクション?I used to have this but got deleted and now only dead links are present in this forum,please consider uploading this!!
feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi I looking for axl vocal collection cd for a long time. would you reupload these 3 files?
tekitonine wrote on Shine's profile.
nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02