Answered Reporting in Download threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryguy

Trusted Member
Oct 12, 2011
There's currently no mechanism to address failings of uploaders in the download threads.

When there's an obvious problem with a download, one that should be reported and dealt with by moderators, the pop-up box suggests that I can't use it for such a purpose.

So, why is that?

Surely, if there's something is amiss with a thread, I should be able to raise the attention of people in charge of that section to look into it.

Things like invalid links is one thing that can be addressed within the thread, between people wanting whatever it is and the provider, but what about things that aren't that? Things like specific questions about the uploads going unanswered and misrepresentations of files? Why shouldn't they be able to be reported?

I would need an example of what you mean by "uploads going unanswered and misrepresentations of files". As honestly, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Upvote 0
Well, OK.

Here's a valid question about an upload that's yet to be answered, or even addressed. It's only two days, but surely that's enough time to make a comment about it:

http://www.anime-sharing.com/forum/...[delta]-おねがい助けて!~外に出たらヤられちゃう~-[101029]-58055/

And here's a misrepresentation:

http://www.anime-sharing.com/forum/hentai-games-38/japanese-[wax-g2]ミーネの冒険-ver1-23-[67-7-mb]-62483/

But, they're just examples. The reason I bring this up is that I can't see /any/ mechanism for users to report these kinds of problems in a legitimate way. Why is that?

Upvote 0
First: Uploaders are not really requires to answer questions, or provide anything else besides uploads, though it is certainly nice if they do. Uploaders may not even be aware of an existing crack/patch/bypass and the like, and telling them to go look for it is not something that can be done.

Second: You can in fact report for that (even if it says only spam, will change that slightly), but bear in mind that me, and other moderators/administrators even do not have all the knowledge in the eroge world. While overall we certainly have a lot, it does not cover all. I have no clue how many versions that specific game has, and which version it's currently at, besides you stating it in the post. We(staff) cannot enforce it to such a degree, since we simply do not have that information or knowledge.

Upvote 0
OK, I guess you've addressed some specific concerns with those threads.

-1-

However, I think an uploader should be intimately familiar with the files they upload and advertise on here. They should know what's included in their packages if they've bundled the files themselves. If they include soundtracks and such along with the game, that should be clearly stated.

I guess it really depends on the uploader and how much time they have when putting up a post. Girlcelly usually does list the contents very thoroughly, and that makes it very clear. I've seen others do it too. But, not everyone does it, not on every release.

Anyway, the user in that thread was asking /specifically/ whether the files had the patch or not. Yes or no. It would be nice if the uploaders was more active in answering users' concerns about the ability to run games on their systems, but as you say, we can't expect too much. But, as a mininum, they should be able to tell us if something is included or not, right?

Also, why is the expectation of uploaders so low? It seems to me it's a privilege to get to be an uploader. There are obvious benefits to it, and they agree to a certain set of rules when applying for the position. I'm pretty sure behaviors could be modified with new rules.

Would that be overkill? Probably. But maybe this needs more debate? There seems to be double-standards at play.

-2-

What I'm saying is, if someone clearly has knowledge about it, there should be a way to report stuff to a moderator. I'd like it if they would take the time to liaise with uploaders to verify the contents of the upload. That would make sense to me.

I mean, as you say, if the uploader really has no inherent responsibility or obligation to respond to users, then it falls to moderators to get answers if concerns are raised. I guess I'm stating the obvious, but it really doesn't seem like this happens at all.

The downloads section is minimally governed--usually biased towards controlling users--and users are left to fend for themselves regardless of what their concerns are. Yes or no?

I understand that you propose some kind of change in the reporting. I wonder if there'll be any change behind the scenes at all.

Upvote 0
OK, I guess you've addressed some specific concerns with those threads.

-1-

However, I think an uploader should be intimately familiar with the files they upload and advertise on here. They should know what's included in their packages if they've bundled the files themselves. If they include soundtracks and such along with the game, that should be clearly stated.

I guess it really depends on the uploader and how much time they have when putting up a post. Girlcelly usually does list the contents very thoroughly, and that makes it very clear. I've seen others do it too. But, not everyone does it, not on every release.

Anyway, the user in that thread was asking /specifically/ whether the files had the patch or not. Yes or no. It would be nice if the uploaders was more active in answering users' concerns about the ability to run games on their systems, but as you say, we can't expect too much. But, as a mininum, they should be able to tell us if something is included or not, right?

Also, why is the expectation of uploaders so low? It seems to me it's a privilege to get to be an uploader. There are obvious benefits to it, and they agree to a certain set of rules when applying for the position. I'm pretty sure behaviors could be modified with new rules.

Would that be overkill? Probably. But maybe this needs more debate? There seems to be double-standards at play.

-2-

What I'm saying is, if someone clearly has knowledge about it, there should be a way to report stuff to a moderator. I'd like it if they would take the time to liaise with uploaders to verify the contents of the upload. That would make sense to me.

I mean, as you say, if the uploader really has no inherent responsibility or obligation to respond to users, then it falls to moderators to get answers if concerns are raised. I guess I'm stating the obvious, but it really doesn't seem like this happens at all.

The downloads section is minimally governed--usually biased towards controlling users--and users are left to fend for themselves regardless of what their concerns are. Yes or no?

I understand that you propose some kind of change in the reporting. I wonder if there'll be any change behind the scenes at all.

First:
Becoming an uploader here is indeed a privilege. They go provide an application and go through a trial period. We have decided upon a set of information uploaders must include in their threads, which can be found in the upload rules. If uploaders aren't including all the information that they should, then you can report it since it's a violation.

Indeed uploaders should be familiar with what their files/packages/uploads contain, and giving a simple yes/no answer is no big, but I'm not going to wave my finger at an uploader simply because he isn't replying to a thread. It would be nice if he did, and as you say, there are indeed uploaders who does. Some even go beyond that and try to provide as much help as possible. It differs from uploader/person.

Second:
There are simply too many threads and uploads for a few people to go through. It would become a full time job if i had to verify the contents of every single upload. Hell, adding a few more moderators wouldn't ease the burden one bit. While it would indeed be nice if possible, but to be honest it is way too much.

Being a user here is a privilege, not a right. Concerns can indeed be raised, but unless someone is adding fake files and otherwise trying to mess with users with Trojans or other serious offends, it is just that, concerns, and nothing more. Users should also look at what they download, though it can be difficult with only little information.

The downloads section is not minimally governed at all, but there's not exactly a lot to act upon. Things can slip by and otherwise go unnoticed, which is why it is encouraged to use the report button as that brings it to our attention right away.

If you want any immediate changes right away, then I doubt you'll be seeing any. Moderators and administrators are around every day and users can always contact us with concerns, but that does not mean we act or change anything.

Upvote 0
Greeting and welcome to AS,

Regarding your concern:

All I want to say is if you're getting something for free, don't ask a lot out of it.

With that said, we have no obligation to verify who upload what. Furthermore, we have no resources to do so. Nobody is going to hold your hands to walk you through this road, either you walk it or stay home, your choice, or stick to the well-known road (girlcelly, for example).

Oh, btw, stricter rules doesn't necessary result in better stuff.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks for the replies.

I guess it doesn't much matter either way. I brought up my concerns, which was good. And they got answers. I'm happy to leave it like that.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify:

It falls to the uploader to respond and answer to inquiries regarding their uploads.

A forum is like a marketing platform. We do not just let anyone sell and advertise their products (uploads) on the platform we provide, lest there be chaos and nigh impossibility in ensuring that all products on sale are in par with our standards.

It is up to sellers (uploaders) to provide support to their customers (downloaders). If a seller provides sufficient support to ensure the satisfaction of their customers, chances are they will get better sales (higher thread views and/or downloads). However, even if a seller opts not to provide support, it is still entirely up to them; whatever consequences they might face - lower sales, customer dissatisfaction, or even lasting notoriety - are entirely their own to face.

In no way are forum staff required to compel uploaders to provide sufficient support to member inquiries, nor are we responsible for responding to such inquiries ourselves. Individual uploads are not our uploads. You do not like someone, you do not buy a product from them and purchase it from a better seller of your choice instead. Period.

Only under special conditions will we consider responding to concerns members have regarding uploads that are not our own: reports, threads made in the official forum support section, and messages directly delivered to ourselves. Even so, unless it concerns things that directly fall within our responsibility (like site issues), we reserve the rights of calling the final judgement on whether the case shall be escalated to be handled by ourselves or dropped and discontinued.

If you are content with your concerns addressed and answered, this thread shall be closed.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks for all the attention. And the I have a better appreciation for how things are running here, so I probably won't need to ask anything else.

Also, should anyone have similar thoughts, your clarification will be a good reference for them.

So, thanks again, and moving on. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

umi131 wrote on Shine's profile.
リクエスト
これのアートCGをお願いします。
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01166080.html/?locale=pt_BR
dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?
a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?
dohuni wrote on UFO's profile.
Hello. Could you reupload the version 2.0 of this game? RJ310786 thanks.
If you don't have a file, can you let me know?