Question about similar sounding phrases that are said at the end of sentences.

ToumeiOtoko

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2018
I'm talking about words that are located at the end of the sentence such as:
-です
-だ in ''好きだ"
-なくって in "じゃなくって"
-かった in "危なかった"
What is their purpose and will learning them greatly affect reading experience of VNs?

Reactions: espiekerella
Hi.
I assume you're referring to conjugations? Yes they affect meanings so they're important and sooner or later you'll have to learn them. There are many conjugations, like past form, negative form, imperative form, etc.

For example, the above 危なかった. The dictionary form is 危ない, but when you use た-form (past form), it becomes 危なかった. And there's also the negative form 危なくない and past negative form 危なくなかった.

Hi.
I assume you're referring to conjugations? Yes they affect meanings so they're important and sooner or later you'll have to learn them. There are many conjugations, like past form, negative form, imperative form, etc.

For example, the above 危なかった. The dictionary form is 危ない, but when you use た-form (past form), it becomes 危なかった. And there's also the negative form 危なくない and past negative form 危なくなかった.

Thank you. Is this by any chance related to what you're talking about?

Yes. Words you see at the end of those sentences are predicate (verb, adjective, ...).

The copula だ/である in that article you linked to is one such example. It's similar to English verb to be so you see it a lot.

And most verbs are conjugated similarly so you see certain patterns at the end of the sentences very often. For example, ~た is past form and ~ない is negative form.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Verb_conjugation_table

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Roadrunner Email Support is an astonishing email support service, you can ever get. We use the expertise of our strong support team to resolve any and all issues that may arise during the use of Roadrunner emails. Roadrunner customer service team will help our helpline number +1-844-902-0608 you to get the best out of this email service.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha
Irish99 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi if you get time can you reupload this please.