Question about kanji readings

jeffreymgibson

Elite Member
May 2, 2012
I was looking up the on readings for 人. The on readings I found were : ジン、 ニン

I understand the 1st one, jin. The 2nd reading is what I don't understand. I know ニ is ni, but I can't figure out what to do with ン. According to Wikipedia it means ( n [n] [m] [ŋ] before stop consonants ), but I don't understand what that means. Can anyone explain?

Also, what does the wavy squiggly line mean when it comes after a character in a reading?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

The ン is just that, an n sound. That ニ is katakana "ni" and not kanji "ni" (which looks like this: 二, somewhat larger than the katakana), so read "nin" like how you would read "jin", only chaning the front "ji" to "ni".

As for the "wavy squiggly" line that comes after a character...I assume you mean by "~", it means that the sound after that line is not a part of the kanji itself.

I'm sure more advanced folks around who are better at explaining things would do a better job than me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

TasogareHentai wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry for disturb, but can you please reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
umi131 wrote on Shine's profile.
リクエスト
これのアートCGをお願いします。
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01166080.html/?locale=pt_BR
dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?
a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?