Help with finding what type of Japanese dialect is it based from

HatoriTakaya

Destiny Awaits.
Elite Member
Nov 20, 2011
Okay... generally I'm bad at Japanese. I admit it, I rely on common phrase to get by certain things online and so forth. But now, I'm just wondering which dialect is this from in Japanese:

Yoi yoru, watashi wa kyō wa yoi kyūsoku o eru koto o negatte

Also... wondering anyone here knows an old site where it had worksheets one basic hiragana. I'm planning to give up some gaming time for learning a language. Although I may be a bit late on that decision, it's better than nothing personally for me since I'm going to need it in the end.

I don't think that's dialect. It sounds like formal Japanese to me. Do you have the phrase in hiragana and kanji, as opposed to just the romaji? Because romaji is kind of useless (or at least, that's what my professors keep telling me). Also, providing a context would be very helpful. Who is this being said by? If it's being said to a customer, or a servant to a master, then it's simply formal Japanese. Or maybe the character/person saying it is just extra polite to people.

Using your romaji, I got this: 良い夜、私は今日は良い休息を得ることを願って (Good night, I hope you get a good rest today). '良い' can be read as いい or よい. 'よい' is a formal reading, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, there are lots of resources in this section of the forum. As for learning, I encourage you to get the Genki textbooks (old copies of the books are available on the Internet). They're really good for beginners. You'll learn hirgana, katakana and up to maybe 200 or so kanji with Genki 1 and 2. After getting through Genki, you can move on to more advanced stuff.

If you're really serious about learning Japanese, aim for the JLPT N1. :p

Last edited:
I don't think that's dialect. It sounds like formal/old-fashioned Japanese to me. Do you have the phrase in Japanese, as opposed to just the romaji? Because romaji is kind of useless (or at least, that's what my professors keep telling me). Using your romaji, I got this: 良い夜、私は今日は良い休息を得ることを願って (Good night, I hope you get a good rest today). '良い' can be read as いい or よい. 'よい' is a formal reading, if I'm not mistaken.

When I see that phrase in romaji, the first thing popping into my mind is the kanji for "yoi". Yes, I'd say that Romaji becomes redundant and even counterproductive once you know enough to go around (that's why I prefer keeping my Japanese stuff in Kana/Kanji and not romaji).

Yes...seeing it that way, it does not sound like dialect to me.

I'm not sure that よい is a formal reading of the word but is more likely how it used to be pronounced in the past (hence you see よくない and よくできた)
I remember reading somewhere that the difference from the normal いい is because of historical reasons
And if you say よい quick enough it does sorta become いい

But to reply the OP's question, here's a third "doesn't sound like dialect to me" from me
Don't see any distinguishing features in that sentence

I'm not sure that よい is a formal reading of the word but is more likely how it used to be pronounced in the past (hence you see よくない and よくできた)
I remember reading somewhere that the difference from the normal いい is because of historical reasons
And if you say よい quick enough it does sorta become いい

But to reply the OP's question, here's a third "doesn't sound like dialect to me" from me
Don't see any distinguishing features in that sentence

I was thinking about it a bit, and now that I've mulled it over, there's no way this could be a dialect, IMO. It's simply formal Japanese. You'll hear Japanese people saying stuff like 良い週末を. That's a standard phrase. It has nothing to do with dialect, which in turn has everything to do with region.

Ah okay, thanks for the responses so far everyone. Personally I don't understand Japanese enough to get used to the basic phrases. Like normally when I want to say good night to someone, I go with Oyasumi (nai sai [I don't even know I should be using this bit]). Now when I learned a bit more, I'm so embarrassed for using that phrase. Maybe I got it right, but more likely than not it's wrong.

Putting that aside, I'm trying to learn it from a different perspective, so at the moment I'm still learning the hiragana. Yes, that's how basic I am. I can remember some of the phrase sounds and type it in Japanese but not write it yet. And I'll consider those books if I can land myself more disposal income. Otherwise my resources has always been learn the foundation upwards. Then learn the things I need to survive in the respective country.

Oyasumi (お休み) is just a shorter and informal form of Oyasuminasai. Both can be translated into "Goodnight"

If you are willing to spend some money on learning the language and are looking for a quick guide rather than textbooks (which can get long and boring if you're self-studying IMO), I personally recommend the following two books:

Essential Japanese Grammar
Essential Japanese Vocabulary

Of course, those books aren't enough to pull you through learning the language (especially vocabulary/listening/writing) but I do find them good supplementary material.
Learn what you can using the internet first :P

hello, it seems I'm a little bit late to write here.
you guys are very good and know well Japanese, I'm surprised that.
(sorry for my poor English, but love to write and learn English :) )

by the way, it's right that the above sentence isn't a dialect,
it's just a normal Japanese.
also 良い pronounce "よい" and "いい", よい is a formal, いい is a casual.

>>良い夜、私は今日は良い休息を得ることを願って
if this means in English "Good night, I hope you get a good rest today",
おやすみなさい、ゆっくり休んでね is more natural Japanese translation, I think :)

if anyone have a question, feel free to ask me.
I can help your learning as much as I can :)

Reactions: yonakayume
^Yes, actual advice from a Japanese person! Thank you. And yeah, it was silly of me to consider it a dialect in the first place. ;; Naruさんの英語は本当にうまいです。

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。