Yuri routes in otome games?

ChihiroAoki

ちぃちゃん
Elite Member
May 31, 2013
Personally the only one I have played is Daria from Gekka Ryouran Romance. I loved the route and the character @w@ What do you think about yuri routes?

The only semi-Yuri route I liked was Pashet's route in Ozmafia ;A;
Ah, I can't seem to really like it. Most of the time Yuri route have...hmm..no spark at all
The chemistry doesn't exist.
What otome yuri route lacks is a proper development. There's no beginning-climax-ending formula, it's usually "You missed all the flags? Let's be lesbians foreva sista!"

An interesting thing to note, Yuri fandom actually originated from Shoujo manga, but the whole world turned upside down.
Now the boys are so into it, and majority of the girls love Yaoi~ Weird huh?
:444839:

I think its hard for the non adult otome. The concept of otome game is basically to have the interaction with boys as players are expected to be female. When they are to play, players expect it to be so as well.
...no offense but the majority of otome players have no interest to fall in love with girls. If they do, they choose eroge.
I guess the players would say that if there's the decent route for the female character with heavy weight on it, why the creators didn't make her a boy?

people want the decent one for male chacters first of all. the otome company speculates demands and I guess it's not really their role to make decent route for the female character...eroge do that.

adult otome have some nice ones, or at least some tiny bit gist of it...maybe.

I was not into Yuri routes too but GRR's Daria and TMGS 3's Ojo--I mean, Hanatsubaki Karen and Ugajin Miyo changed it..........or perhaps I'm just confused?

I have no interest in yuri route at otome games. But I will like it when yuri route appear in other game genre.

little yuri in the game is pretty sweet I think. but if its too much it wont be good I think
:megane_pls:

Like murasakitan you won't find it in every Otome Game but more in Adult Otome Games. I'm always open for new things but it has to have a deep storyline between the MC and the girl.

As long as it's fun or the girl is awesome then I'm totally down for a yuri route ^^

Are we using "yuri" in a Western context here? If so, then a yuri route essentially means an R18+ lesbian route in otome games. If "yuri" is being used in a Japanese context, it pretty much means both.

I'll be sticking to the Western context:
~ Yuri = GxG with sexual content
~ Shoujo-ai = GxG without sexual content; an emphasis on the emotional aspects

Of course, there are works that are both, but I find that it's more common to find an emphasis on either-or rather than being balanced. "True" yuri in otome games, for obvious reasons, is very rare- off the top of my head, I can only think of Hikari in Sumire no Tsubomi and Moe in Toiro Komachi. Kuro to Kin no Akanai Kagi had an unlockable yuri bonus with Kotoko, but since that isn't a route, I guess it doesn't count.

Shoujo-ai is a bit more common, in both R18+ and all-ages titles. It's more common in Western otome games than with Japanese ones. I've completed:
~ Yaehara Daria in Gekka Ryouran Romance
~ Amami Kyouko in Chou no Doku, Hana no Kusari (it's an R18+ game but you don't see sexually explicit lesbian content)
~ Dorothy in Love & Order

Love & Order is a terrible game all up, and sadly Dorothy wasn't an exception. However, Daria's route is an example of a well done shoujo-ai in otome games (in spite of the masculinisation to make her more "appealing" to otome audiences). Kyouko only has one ending, but it's my favourite in the entire game.

Sakimichi said:
The only semi-Yuri route I liked was Pashet's route in Ozmafia ;A;
Ah, I can't seem to really like it. Most of the time Yuri route have...hmm..no spark at all
The chemistry doesn't exist.
What otome yuri route lacks is a proper development. There's no beginning-climax-ending formula, it's usually "You missed all the flags? Let's be lesbians foreva sista!"

An interesting thing to note, Yuri fandom actually originated from Shoujo manga, but the whole world turned upside down.
Now the boys are so into it, and majority of the girls love Yaoi~ Weird huh?
I completely agree. Other than Gekka Ryouran Romance and Chou no Doku, I haven't come across any good yuri/shoujo-ai routes in otome games. I'm of the opinion that for some games, it's just a token thing devs throw in to make their game seem different/interesting, much like the way many R18+ otome games have a "brother" character due to the popularity of incestuous romance.

I don't mind yuri of any kind at all, but since it's often a gimmicky addition, it's not treated with as much seriousness as the male love interests' routes.

I don't mind yuri of any kind at all, but since it's often a gimmicky addition, it's not treated with as much seriousness as the male love interests' routes.

THIS^^ . Not my thing but if a game has it, I got no problems with it. But it pisses me off since the GL routes I played are written badly. I havent played all of QR games but the ones I did had a short GL route. Short as in heroine will think "hey maybe I do have feelings for my girl here....... NAH. I'm so straight!! She's just messing with me! lololol" ... what a waste of time. I pity the yuri fans who had to deal with this crap.

The only GL route that i liked was from Tsuki no Hikari Taiyou no Kage but it branched from a bad rape situation. Uhm, not a good story when u think about it. But the galpal told the rapists to f**k off and took care of the heroine. (I will assume they got together aftwerwards since it was pretty ambigious.)

@ LaCaL
Actually I didn't think about it that much since I usually use the word "yuri" for general GxG contents. Thanks for making a good explanation .3.
@Sakimichi
I pretty much agree with your opinion.
"You missed all the flags? Let's be lesbians foreva sista!"
That's how it is most of the time! I would love it if they gave a proper friends route for Tomochika (Utapri) but no the only thing she has is the solo end which is more like the yuri end.
I would be way more pleasured if Otomate gave some date events and a nice story for a Satsuki route (GHPrincess) but no they didn't want to scare their pure otomes and gave her a mystery(?) story which was basically sh*t and the worst thing in the game.

the yuri routes...
>.<
hmm, it's not really my cup of tea 'coz most girls in the games acts all weak n some too arrogant~
-.-
but, if there's a girl with beautiful voice n looks, hehe...maybe, just maybe~
XDDD
>.>
I'll stick with the guys~ <3

I have no problem with this kind of route, I even like it. But it would be good if had some nice development.
If I actually want to play yuri/shoujo'ai I can always go for these type of visual novels, but it seems like they are written by horny dogs to creep males, too much sexualization. That's why I am totally pro to shoujo'ai routes in otome games, if they are sweet.

I can appreciate friend routes! Yuri routes are alright, but it really depends on the writing and if it's a Saiga Mitsuki character.
It's kind of odd when the heroine is bi though...

It would be strange but... why not. But some girls are kind of... uh, well, I often want to hit them. Really. So it would be cool to have a character with a strong personality but who isn't annoying :D

I have no problem with this kind of route, I even like it. But it would be good if had some nice development.
If I actually want to play yuri/shoujo'ai I can always go for these type of visual novels, but it seems like they are written by horny dogs to creep males, too much sexualization. That's why I am totally pro to shoujo'ai routes in otome games, if they are sweet.
Aoishiro and Akai Ito are two decent games involving shoujo-ai and have no sexual content. In addition, Zettai Meikyuu Grimm has two shoujo-ai routes and they're both enjoyable. Innocent Grey recently developed girl-love game too, and if you don't mind mystery + a little blood then you can try it out here. Propeller also has one good shoujo-ai game. (To people who don't know, Propeller and Innocent Grey are two producers of eroge and their games have good plot).
Sorry English is not my first language.

I'm down for them if they're done right, but they always just seem tacked on (and there's usually just one girl you can 'choose' which kinda defeats the purpose imho)

Reactions: ewebsitecanada
Thanks for all the nice recommendations! I have seen Flowers and had a strong interest in it, I will play it when I have some spare time off the otome games. I downloaded Tsuki to Mori to Anata to Watashi which has some R18 contents but I still didn't play it. I wonder which character in Tsuki no Hikari, Taiyou no Kage has a yuri route, can someone who knows tell it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3