How many otome game fans actually care about narrative quality?

LaCaL

Elite Member
Nov 30, 2012
Just to be clear, this isn't intended to be hostile- I'm just curious as to how many people actually care. I feel like I'm in the very small pool of fans that place story quality above everything else, and honestly, it's a bit depressing. I sometimes wonder if I'm wasting time in looking for this in otome media, or missing the point...

To be clear, when I say "narrative quality", I'll also include character-writing quality. I feel like writers pick one or two key personality traits and just leave it at that. Very minimal meaningful development, expansion or exploration. You just get a hot guy with a moe trope and a popular seiyuu. That's about it for 75% of games... :/

As for the choice system, I find for most games that it's fairly obvious (at worst, practically stalking). I rarely feel as though the choices made properly connect with any ending other than the best ones. I know if I were a guy and the protagonist just agrees with me all the time and stalks me, I'd be worried rather than flattered.

EDIT: Added more to my OP. I managed to accidentally post this topic before I finished my post!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tee and fguelffstan
I have to admit, I don't care as much for the story as I do for other factors in otome games, and this is simply because I don't have any expectations whatsoever that an otome game will bring me an engaging story or plot and have characters that interest me at the same time: for me, an otome game's quality lies in the likability of the characters, so I focus more on my enjoyment in general, the characters, and their routes. When an otome games has none of this going for it, that's when I do try to find solace in the story: it usually doesn't work. Even so, the story of an otome game does affect my enjoyment of it, so it does matter, and I do somewhat care for it: if it's a story with stupid conflicts or things that don't make sense, that will obviously factor into how good I think it is.

I definitely agree with you about the originality of the characters in otome games: it's so bothersome when I try to play a game and find no one interesting to pick because, "Oh, that's the childhood friend; he's the main guy," or, "Oh, that's the flirty senior," or, "Oh, that's tsundere/yandere/whatever." I'll acknowledge that I'm not completely unbiased towards any of these character tropes, and that I have, with much guilt from my critical side, enjoyed playing the routes of characters that were basically one trope, but I do and would really like to have more unique characters too (as in, characters that feel like they're not some stereotype).

Rather than the stalking, I don't really like that I have to pick the choices that match the opinions of the guy I'm going for: I mean, if I want to spend time with a guy then going up to him is reasonable (though the stalking doesn't really work like that, since you go to the area the guy conveniently happens to be in instead of going up to talk to him when you see him in the location you're currently at), but agreeing with everything he says is not. Sometimes it's the other way around, and I have to disagree with the guy on something that I agree with because I'm supposed to be a super kind girl of amazing morals and purity (or just a goody two-shoes); I hate that even more. Lol If I was a guy and I'd have this girl stalking me and agreeing with me, I'd be creeped out too but to be fair, otome games have some real creepy dudes as well so it's even? ^^'

Anyway, I guess I care about the narrative quality of otome games somewhat, but not as much as I probably should. If otome games did start having better narrative quality though, I would be very satisfied.

I 100% agree with OP. I feel very few otome fans actually place importance on the story. I mean it's a visual NOVEL. Ofc I place importance on art, cause it's VISUAL too. But story is of utmost importance to me. I still don't really understand the seiyuu craze and I feel I never will. I mean I much prefer playing voiced games, since voices bring out depth and more emotion from the characters. But I would NEVER play a game just because it has a seiyuu's voice I like.. LOL I don't get it at all. I also don't like how the same seiyuu keep getting used in so many games, I like to think of the characters as themselves without recalling their voice from another character in another game, I'd like more variety - if that makes sense..

But yeah, if the story isn't good, then I don't want to be sinking in countless hours of my time into a game that's just candy without the long lasting flavour (horrible analogy I know).

Hahaha I agree about that thing you mention re; the choices. I'd actually like to see more games utilize the choice aspect in a more clever way. Rather than continuous stalking one character. I'd like to see more dramatic effects of one's choices and how a simple decision can lead to drastic consequences upon further inspection.

I ADORE visual novels that are able to do a tremendous job in world building, character development, intriguing plots and just an overall amazing ride. Those are rare and come far in between. To be honest, I feel that BL games are starting to surpass otome games in that aspect. In the past, BL games were cringeworthy. However, now the stories are complex yet so interesting. Instead of another boy band/high school story once again (coughs honeybee), they consist of actually unique plots that keep you on your toes.

I think it's due to the fact that the market has changed in the sense that otome companies can milk out hundreds of games, while BL game companies have to be more selective/careful in making their games, since the genre isn't as popular as before. Tbh, I'd like to see more BL games that aren't R-18. That way, I feel they'll be able to reach a wider audience as well.

I feel that nitro+chiral is one of the better vn companies out there as I've loved each and every single one of their games. In addition to their games, Lucky Dog 1 and Taisho Mebiusline are two other examples of excellent games. Obviously no games are perfect, but I enjoyed playing these so much. They were just really well made and well thought out in regards to the story/characters.

On the otome side of things, I'd love to see more games like Chou no Doku, Black Wolves Saga and Hana Awase. Even Koezaru was great, sure the story wasn't mindblowing. But the world-building and especially the characters were fantastic. The character development was very realistic and believable. Those games blew me away and I'd love to see more like them. This is just my personal opinion, and I feel like I'm going on a random tangent right now..

TL;DR - Narrative/story is of number one importance for me in a visual novel and it's a pity that majority of the otome fandom thinks otherwise. Ofc, the majority has the biggest voice, and money speaks. These otome companies milk out games like there's no tomorrow and people will continue to buy mediocre games. At the end of the day, everyone has different tastes, and I totally understand that. At the same time though.. *sighs*

(OMG this is extremely long, I'm so sorry)

Last edited:
I sometimes look at a visual novel just because it has interesting art, or because it's available in English. Once I've started reading, I'll start asking myself questions such as "Do I care about these characters and their world?" If I can't honestly say "Yes" after an hour or two, I will probably stop reading.

I ADORE visual novels that are able to do a tremendous job in world building, character development, intriguing plots and just an overall amazing ride. Those are rare and come far in between.

Indeed. It's annoyingly rare to find *fiction* which has things such as an interesting world, complex characterization, and a satisfying ending. To paraphrase Sturgeon's Law, ninety percent of science fiction is crud, but the same can be said for everything.

I the narrative quality, but I always look at the scenario the most. I mean, if the scenario isn't done well, everything falls apart.
To an extent, it doesn't quite matter how likable the characters are, if the plot can't make it shine.

Though I've played my share of less than satisfactory games, I've also gotten to play ones the blow me away. Even recently, I bawled in the middle of the night because the story was so touching and heartwarming, but I've struck a diamond mine for that one, really.

It doesn't bother me if the character's only allotted one or two characteristics, if there's more to the story. After all, not all people would change (drastically) or show a different side after spending three months with them. Also, I want to "earn" the reason to be loved; I get irritated when the MC's inherent goodness is only appreciated.

You can't help the stalker thing, but I've once come across a character who would break all his ties with you (ie you couldn't pursue his route) if you told him to "do his best" when he was struggling. In the same series, the first thing you had to for one guy was decline the candy he gives you, else the next event never happens.
So there are games with interesting, valuable choices.

Reactions: LaCaL
I left this topic alone and came back to find some really interesting responses that even made me re-think about various opinions on the otome world. Thanks very much, everyone, for taking the time to provide detailed perspectives! :)

I have to admit, I don't care as much for the story as I do for other factors in otome games, and this is simply because I don't have any expectations whatsoever that an otome game will bring me an engaging story or plot and have characters that interest me at the same time: for me, an otome game's quality lies in the likability of the characters, so I focus more on my enjoyment in general, the characters, and their routes. When an otome games has none of this going for it, that's when I do try to find solace in the story: it usually doesn't work. Even so, the story of an otome game does affect my enjoyment of it, so it does matter, and I do somewhat care for it: if it's a story with stupid conflicts or things that don't make sense, that will obviously factor into how good I think it is.
I think many otome gamers have the same perspective in this regard as you do. I'm even like this in a sense: pretty much everything is rubbish-to-par until I play the trial or the entire game and it proves otherwise. A "guilty unless proven innocent" is a terrible approach I take to otome media, though I figure I've developed this because of countless disappointments. You know, I've heard many complaints that everything about an otome game's story is bad (characters and story) or the characters are fine but the story is subpar, but never "the story is fine but the characters suck" (that I can recall). It's obvious why characters would be more important to an otome gamer than the story, and perhaps this is a glimpse into where the writing efforts go. It's more "create the characters that will moe everyone right off the bat" than "create a good story in which the characters can shine through various developments".

I ADORE visual novels that are able to do a tremendous job in world building, character development, intriguing plots and just an overall amazing ride. Those are rare and come far in between. To be honest, I feel that BL games are starting to surpass otome games in that aspect. In the past, BL games were cringeworthy. However, now the stories are complex yet so interesting. Instead of another boy band/high school story once again (coughs honeybee), they consist of actually unique plots that keep you on your toes.

I feel that nitro+chiral is one of the better vn companies out there as I've loved each and every single one of their games. In addition to their games, Lucky Dog 1 and Taisho Mebiusline are two other examples of excellent games. Obviously no games are perfect, but I enjoyed playing these so much. They were just really well made and well thought out in regards to the story/characters.

On the otome side of things, I'd love to see more games like Chou no Doku, Black Wolves Saga and Hana Awase. Even Koezaru was great, sure the story wasn't mindblowing. But the world-building and especially the characters were fantastic. The character development was very realistic and believable. Those games blew me away and I'd love to see more like them. This is just my personal opinion, and I feel like I'm going on a random tangent right now..

TL;DR - Narrative/story is of number one importance for me in a visual novel and it's a pity that majority of the otome fandom thinks otherwise. Ofc, the majority has the biggest voice, and money speaks. These otome companies milk out games like there's no tomorrow and people will continue to buy mediocre games. At the end of the day, everyone has different tastes, and I totally understand that. At the same time though.. *sighs*

(OMG this is extremely long, I'm so sorry)
Don't be sorry; thanks very much for replying in so much detail!

While I don't play BL games often, I totally agree that they seem to be maintaining quality a lot better than otome games have over the years. I recently completed NO, THANK YOU!!! and while I see why an otome game wouldn't pick themes like NTY utilised (won't go into detail to prevent derailing and spoilers), I'd love to read an otome game with a story of that level. I've yet to play Taishou Mebiusline, though I hear good things about it. I've completed Luckydog a few years ago, and I enjoyed it as well. :) While it's definitely not a "perfect game" IMO, I can see that effort was put into it and I enjoyed pretty much all that it had to offer. I liked the characters and enjoyed reading their individual routes.

Interesting... I thought BL games would be doing better these days due to the surgence in fujoshi and some of the successes of recent titles like Dramatical Murder and NO, THANK YOU!!!

I do agree with you in wanting to see more otome games like the ones you mentioned. It's so very true; unless that large chunk of the fandom wake up one day and start demanding better stories, we'll just have to take what we can get or be much more selective. Thankfully, there are so many games that there's bound to be enough worth playing, even if the majority is subpar.

I sometimes look at a visual novel just because it has interesting art, or because it's available in English. Once I've started reading, I'll start asking myself questions such as "Do I care about these characters and their world?" If I can't honestly say "Yes" after an hour or two, I will probably stop reading.
We're quite similar, except for the fact that I never drop a game once I start it (unless it breaks, malfunctions, I lose it, etc.). Especially if I already paid for it; I feel like I have to finish it. Which probably adds needless misery in my gaming life. It shouldn't make a difference, since If I don't like it, no matter how much more I read of it, it's a waste of my money. Since I do my very best to buy every game I play these days (particularly to support the ones I enjoyed!), trials have become very important to me. Even so, Jooubachi no Oubou is proof that trials can often mean jack s*** when trying to assess a game's quality.

I the narrative quality, but I always look at the scenario the most. I mean, if the scenario isn't done well, everything falls apart. To an extent, it doesn't quite matter how likable the characters are, if the plot can't make it shine.

You can't help the stalker thing, but I've once come across a character who would break all his ties with you (ie you couldn't pursue his route) if you told him to "do his best" when he was struggling. In the same series, the first thing you had to for one guy was decline the candy he gives you, else the next event never happens.
So there are games with interesting, valuable choices.

I agree. The first thing I look for on an otome game's website is to read the story summary and about the setting (if there is more info on that). If I don't like that, I pretty much won't bother with the game unless the updates include additional information that changes my mind.

Upon reading this, I realised I should have worded my "stalker" opinion better. It's obviously not going to be perfectly avoided since you have to specifically go for a character in order to get into their route. I should have said "lazy choice systems that make you seem like a stalker". For example, almost painfully obvious choices like "go to the library" when the game tries to "randomly" ask you where you "feel like going"... and you're pursuing the serious, studious guy, or a map movement-like game in which you just have to click where the guy is on it. Those lazy types are depressingly common.

About some examples you gave about interesting choices, I really like the situation of being iced out after providing such insultingly simple advice as "do your best". I know I would be more frustrated upon hearing that in that situation, especially if I was actually trying hard and still failing. Yes, not everyone is a bottomless wealth of wisdom and may not know exactly what to say, but still... At least try to justify such a simple thing to say to a frustrated, struggling person. Which game was this from, by the way? Too bad choices like these aren't common.

I loathe that "do your best!", "there's always next time!", "don't get down in the dumps!", etc. advice without more valuable observations added on... especially when games head towards best endings due to responses like these. You have to wonder how many people the guy(s) know. Even a 4-year-old can offer advice that simple, so why hasn't he ever received it?

Reactions: Sorata
I agree. The first thing I look for on an otome game's website is to read the story summary and about the setting (if there is more info on that). If I don't like that, I pretty much won't bother with the game unless the updates include additional information that changes my mind.

Upon reading this, I realised I should have worded my "stalker" opinion better. It's obviously not going to be perfectly avoided since you have to specifically go for a character in order to get into their route. I should have said "lazy choice systems that make you seem like a stalker". For example, almost painfully obvious choices like "go to the library" when the game tries to "randomly" ask you where you "feel like going"... and you're pursuing the serious, studious guy, or a map movement-like game in which you just have to click where the guy is on it. Those lazy types are depressingly common.

About some examples you gave about interesting choices, I really like the situation of being iced out after providing such insultingly simple advice as "do your best". I know I would be more frustrated upon hearing that in that situation, especially if I was actually trying hard and still failing. Yes, not everyone is a bottomless wealth of wisdom and may not know exactly what to say, but still... At least try to justify such a simple thing to say to a frustrated, struggling person. Which game was this from, by the way? Too bad choices like these aren't common.

I loathe that "do your best!", "there's always next time!", "don't get down in the dumps!", etc. advice without more valuable observations added on... especially when games head towards best endings due to responses like these. You have to wonder how many people the guy(s) know. Even a 4-year-old can offer advice that simple, so why hasn't he ever received it?

"where you feel like going" is supposed to be where your guy is. XD
But yes, this is a rather cheap move to make.

This game is from La Corda 2 in the new guy's route.
(And the declining marshmallow thing is from the first game. It took me three turns to realize why I couldn't unlock his events)
I'm sure the new guy has been told "do your best", but the problem is that he didn't want to hear it from the girl, especially because her hard work pays off. (He has this complex towards geniuses because he's only an average person)
When I chose it, I think he was like, "You make it sound as if I'm not trying already."

*raises her hand* I care. A lot :)

Even so, I see at least three obstacles to get better stories in otoges.

1) Game writing differs from writing for movies or books much. People who aim for this position aren't always aware of that and might use methods which work for traditional media but useless for games.

2) Personal experience of a writer matters as well. If someone hasn't seen much in life, including a dating one, then they're hardly able to tell anything interesting to an audience, and clichés will be their only refuge.

It's easy to write for someone who hasn't dated anybody. The more experienced audience would demand believable characters and plot.

3) And the last but not least factors are finances and sufficiency. To hire better writers we need a bigger budget.
Raising game quality requires more time for development. We need a bigger budget again, because time is money.

All that will influence game prices, but players might be not ready for higher prices in exchange for better quality.
We could go another way and expand our audience without raising prices. Alas, otoges are a niche product and Japanese language speakers are finite.

These are just the problems on the surface. I'm sure people who are involved in otoges development would tell us even more.

Last edited:
This is a really interesting topic that I think should be discussed more in the otome game community =)

I'll start by saying I'm a very character driven person. A character can make or break a story for me, and this is regarding everything: books, movies, manga, anime and of course, visual novels =)

I can forgive a sub par story (like the 100th highschool setting otome game) if I really like a character, specially if it is the protagonist. Maybe, because of this and my standards being lower than other otoge fans, It's really rare for me to dislike a otome game.

But I can understand the concern of some people, specially because otome games seem to be released in droves. When so many games are coming out like this (I'm looking at you otomate) it's hard to maintain a satisfying quality.

One game that surprised me was a R-18 Otome Game called Sanzen Sekai Yuugi. I play a lot of adult otoges because I'm a perv and the more you play, the more you start noticing some patterns, like the overuse of rape and the virgin I-have-an-annoying-voice protagonist. What made SSY stand out for me was the syfy setting and the baddass protagonist.

Well, anyway, I just wish they put in a little more effort in making the game, not just using all their money on seiyuus and artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02
tahmurath wrote on amaimono's profile.
Hi. amaimono. What if you have it savedata Boku No Elf Oneesan "My Elf Elder Sister" just now,
Can you Give me It Savedata ??
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks