renano

Little ⁺ I ⁺ Erase
Elite Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hello everyone~

I am sure most of you have heard of this manga if you have some interest in shounen or JUMP.

Written and drawn by Hideaki Sorachi since 2003.

If you have not, then here is a brief summary from Baka-Updates:

Sakata Gintoki is a samurai living in an era when samurais are no longer needed. To add to his troubles, oppressive aliens have moved in to invade. Gintoki lives with Kagura and Shinpachi, taking on odd jobs to make the world a better place... and to pay their rent.

If you are interested in the anime, then here is also a brief synopsis from MAL:

Life isn’t easy in feudal Japan… especially since the aliens landed and conquered everything! Oh sure, the new health care is great, but the public ban on the use of swords has left a lot of defeated samurai with a difficult decision to make concerning their future career paths! This is especially true if, as in the case of Gintoki Sakata, they’re not particularly inclined towards holding a day job, which is why Gintoki’s opted for the freelance route, taking any job that’s offered to him as long as the financial remuneration sounds right. Unfortunately, in a brave new world filled with stray bug-eyed monsters, upwardly mobile Yakuza and overly ambitious E.T. entrepreneurs, those jobs usually don’t pay as well as they should for the pain, suffering and indignities endured!

(Source: Sentai Filmworks)

---

I discovered the anime first. It was an unexpected, humorous anime with many morals and well done fights.

Each character is memorable and has personality.

The manga-ka reuses even the smallest of characters like from earlier chapters and uses them again later in future chapters.

I must admit that the jokes may be crude for some people, but if you can take the joke and laugh, then that is what matters.

There are many references to other manga, celebrities, movies, and other social and political things. So you may not recognize them, but the translators do put definitions to help you understand.

The main highlight of this manga is how it can incorporate funny moments into serious scenes while developing a plot that makes each character grow as a person.

---

Please feel free to discuss this manga or anything related to it.

Talk about your favorite characters and your favorite arcs.

State how you came to know Gintama and why you like it or dislike it.

Thank you for reading and please enjoy the series. Anpan~

---

My favorite character overall is Sougo Okita.

He is an extreme sadist, but he still does what is necessary or deemed important. I find his antics towards Hijikata and Kagura as my 'guilty pleasures'.

The arc that had the most impact for me was the Mitsuba Arc. That was bittersweet, romantic, painful, and sorrowful with great fight scenes.

The Kyubei Arc is most notorious for being the funniest I have ever seen. It had great moments as well~

Last edited:
Hiya renano chan~ (^o^)/

Well, I know this manga already from so long time, but I just start reading it these days.. I'm still at very early chapter.. But I think I like Gin~ LOL, because of his stupid behaviour~

I also already buy the anime, but I didn't have enough time to watch it..
Well, I must start watch it then~ XD

Reactions: renano
Hello to you Alice Rei~

I'm glad to see another reader of Gintama. ^^

There's a bunch of randomness, but they somehow connect one way or another~

Gintoki is pretty 'badass'. He's one main character that is thoroughly engaging. I like his sense of humor and fondness for strawberry milk or anything sweet as well~

The anime does great justice for the manga... at least to me.

Hope you enjoy the journey into the world of Gintama.

Yep its always really random! XD
I like gin because of his sweet tooth too~ LOL, Its really didn't match him.. so I kinda thinking that its cute~ XD

I watch the anime at random episode.. its at my TV, and I found it very hillarious.. thats why I buy it~

I will post here again when I read/watch it further then~ (^o^)/

Of course, it is a welcome for you to post here about anything you like or about anything current.

With his nonchalant behavior and his 'fish eyes' it seems he'll be the lazy oddball, but Gintoki does things that surprise people~

Always neat to support the series by buying it.

I bet most would agree that the hilarious randomness is Gintama's strong point in which usually has some meaning behind it.

Yep he is! XD

Sadly the gintama manga isn't exist in my country :/

A guy like Gintoki seems almost realistic because there are people who act indifferent to things, but they will do what is right in the end.

The Gintama manga was licensed, but then stopped at volume 23 I believe.

You can still read the scanlations of the manga...

For those who like doujin, I recommend to join Silver Soul at Livejournal. It's mostly yaoi, but there are some neutral and straight pairings. They translate doujinshi, but mostly ones they want to do.

I joined because I wanted more OkiKagu~ xD

Last edited:
Reactions: Alice Rei
Yep, either Gintoki or Sougo for me. When they're together they become the most feared S combo. Also its the voice actors that that make me like them too. Suzumura Kenichi and Tomokazu Sugita are definitely on my favourites list.

Both characters also have their moments. Gin is funny when he wants, same with when he's serious in his Arc too. My favourite Arc with Gin has to be either the Yoshiwara Arc or the 4 Devas Arc. The battle scenes were too much for words. One of my favourite scenes from the 4 Devas Arc was when *spoilers* Otose was found lying near her Husband's grave and Gintoki went on a rampage against Jirochou. A scene I shall never forget. Its really hard to decide between these two so I'll say these were my favourite Arcs.

As for Sougo the 'Saw' spoof episode and the Shinsengumi Arc were definitely my favourites with him. The 'Saw' episode had its moments, its best be watched rather than having me describe it. My most memorable scene with Sougo in the Shinsengumi Arc would definitely have to be the train scene where he killed the Shinsengumi Rebels one one fellow swoop. What made him shine even more was when he licked the blood that was on his face after. Hnnnng~

Its a shame that Gintama was cancelled so suddenly this year. Hideaki Sorachi is a genius with his writing. But I'm still happy that SKET Dance is ongoing. If both were gone, it would be hard to find something to replace them.

Yep, I like his character though~ because even he act stupid he do the right thing~ XDD

Well, in my country there's no gintama manga.. :/

Yep, I read the scanlation! ^^
Talk about scanlation.. I cannot find Gintama chapter 361 until 371.. maybe you know where I can find it renano?

Gintama has a habit of 'trolling' so there's a high chance that the anime will return~

The manga is still ongoing and the last major arc was simply stunning and shined some light on Gintoki's past as well as foreshadowing things to come.

I liked those arcs too. Those were strong and pretty epic... very emotional.

Yay~ Another Sougo fan! ^^

I love Suzumura Kenichi and Tomokazu Sugita. They really did well portraying those characters. It was like they were meant for those roles.

It was the first time I appreciated Kugimiya Rie's non-tsundere role. Her best role at least to me besides voicing Alphonse.

The current chapters of the manga are taking a slight 'fun' break after the last major arc involving the shogun and Yoshiwara.

[MENTION=27785]Alice Rei[/MENTION]

I read them at mangareader.

Mangahelpers is good for translations without the pictures.

Last edited:
The thing is with Gintama, Hideaki Sorachi makes almost every character lovable at times. There were times when I though Baka Ouji was annoying but when he did the voice over for Takasugi Shinsuke all of that was washed away. I'd say my favourite female character is Tsukuyo. Her and Gin make such an adorable pair together~

[MENTION=27785]Alice Rei[/MENTION]

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/gintama-r94

Haha... Baka Ouji. He is someone you like and dislike at times. Makes the series that much better.

I adore Tsukuyo too~ Strong and beautiful. Not too clingy and very funny in her own right.

http://www.mangareader.net/gintama/402

That's the latest chapter.

*Remembers the scene where she snaps off the 9th place figure in the popularity poll episode*
Diamond Perfume!

Oh... that was so cool! xD

I thought Kyubei was cool especially since she's voiced by Orikasa Fumiko who is my favorite seiyuu, but Tsukuyo stole that spot for being cooler~

Otae sometimes scare me, but she makes me laugh with her 'feminism'.

Otae can be a hit and miss for me at times. its funny when she is oblivious to many things. Kyubei can be quite cute at times. I remember the episode when Gintoki became drunk and the next day was everyone's husband/partner. Not sure if I'm correct or not but I think Kyubei was the one who shoved food up Gintoki's butt? xD
Its amazing how Gintoki captures the heart of many female characters in the series. Ahhh~

Gintoki can capture the hearts of many... like 'Madao' if you know what I mean. (It's from the same scene when Gintoki was 'being everyone's partner/husband)

You're right. Kyubei shoved it up his butt while Tsukuyo fed through the other side.

Hmm rare thread here.
Practice of this forum is that we dont talk anything related to SJ, specifically the big 3 series, which is strongly hated amongst the mods and admins. I dont share a similar hate, expect for that stupid pirate show, but similarly, no talk about SJ series here for me too.

Yet then again, Gintama is quite an exception or so I heard. Didnt watch it myself though. I expect this thread to be spared since its manga talk.

xD Madao. Suddenly remember where he had a whole episode to himself named 'Who Wants to be a Madaonnaire'

He's definitely a character worth feeling sorry for. I actually thought for once he was going to do something beneficial and walk away a free man, but unfortunately he can't escape the Madao spiral. Ah well, Madao Special: Kiniku Buster!

Hmm rare thread here.
Practice of this forum is that we dont talk anything related to SJ, specifically the big 3 series, which is strongly hated amongst the mods and admins. I dont share a similar hate, expect for that stupid pirate show, but similarly, no talk about SJ series here for me too.

Yet then again, Gintama is quite an exception or so I heard. Didnt watch it myself though. I expect this thread to be spared since its manga talk.

I did notice that there weren't many 'SJ' related topics and I read some of the backlog.

I saw Beelzebub and Medaka Box. So I thought Gintama would be okay since it's not as 'bashed' upon or isn't as 'disputed' as the 'Big 3'.

The series is good if you like humor that doesn't take itself too seriously. Well drawn fight scenes and each character has something to give instead of standing in the sidelines. I'm mostly pertaining to the manga, but the anime is just as enjoyable.

[MENTION=27362]AhGwee[/MENTION]

He's one character that gives new meaning to being homeless. Hard to picture the series without Madao.

i like Elizabeth Arc.. sinpachi like a boy in Ju-on... Gundamnn... + Super robo,,, ahahahah... oya. Amuro + Char seiyuu iincluded there tooo...

Madao arc... slumdog millionaire... FINAL ANSWAAAAAA??

Last edited:
Lol. Second stated some good and even greater moments.

I like the Elizabeth Arc too. Katsura was so supportive and everyone wore those 'Elizabeth' costumes~ xD

Madao is a pretty kind and funny guy... traveling everywhere with that cardboard box of his.

sooo rena already watch when he go to ojii-san funeral..??? ( remember it make me laughed)

I saw Beelzebub and Medaka Box. So I thought Gintama would be okay since it's not as 'bashed' upon or isn't as 'disputed' as the 'Big 3'.

Yes, thats why I think its safe too. Just enjoy your topic.
Know nothing, so no comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi I looking for axl vocal collection cd for a long time. would you reupload these 3 files?
tekitonine wrote on Shine's profile.
nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02
tahmurath wrote on amaimono's profile.
Hi. amaimono. What if you have it savedata Boku No Elf Oneesan "My Elf Elder Sister" just now,
Can you Give me It Savedata ??
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.