A weird JP learning method...?

Satellizer123

Fanfiction Maniac
Elite Member
Oct 3, 2012
A few friends of mine claim to be able to understand JP by listening, but they also say that they cannot read any kanji nor Hiragana, Katakana etc... I guess it means they take no grammar lessons either. Does anyone know how they can do it? If yes then could you show me the method? Thanks in advance ^^

If you spend 3 years listening to a huge amount of Japanese without having subs, yet you understand what they meant in a general go around way, you can.

Though, that's 3 years of a lot of listening - probably 10-12 hours a day. It's not really worth the effort. The easiest way would be to man up and learn the hira + kata and some BASIC grammar. It's not hard and it can be done in 3 months. After that, if you takes time to do a lot of reading, you shall get acquainted with the Kanji and enriched your vocabulary within just a year or a year a half.

I did it by playing eroge

Last edited:
this is considered the way people first learn their language. Their argument is that children learn by listening and interacting. This method is heavily used in things like Rosetta stone, or japanesepod101.com
They encourage you to explore by your own interests, which helps you learn faster~

Noww you can't really learn just by hearing alone. You need every part of a given experience. Repeated phrases and words with actions is more or less what helps a child learn. When you learn enough of the language, you can get to the point where you don't need your native language to learn. I should also note that there are some things you don't have to learn to be good at the language. It'll come eventually~

There's a considerable difference in how efficient you can decipher what you listen to depending on your own vernacular. If you have an Asian tongue (or are used to pronounce most words the way they're written), you may find it easier to catch, understand, and thus learn new words simply by listening. However, associating them with the correct meanings is an entirely different story.

right~ it might also depend on what it's like trying to learn a language. English people learning chinese is different from vice versa x-x

My Japanese teacher uses the method ''Take the sheet and stone them into your head by next week or your out of the game.'' I actually like that attitiued XD helps me to learn

Since I'm a Nippon-lover(~15 year), have I my Japanese-skills on the first by anime startet, where after learn-method branch by another media extended have: Games from Nippon (and not just VN...), mangas, LN until j-books...

And I since then have not just the language studied but culture and the background/history of country too learned have... Where I find out have, that the Japanese-language or better said the grammar, with one my native language (Hungarian) related is... I was really surprised, where I from this day more and more Japanese learn wanted...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the feedback ^^
@~SnowAngel~ I have to disagree sir, since with a tongue other than Chinese ones you can hardly decipher JP by listening; most Asian countries use Latin alphabet you see. I listen to JP maybe 2 hrs a day, and the best I can do is pick out the worlds I know... Lol

@~SnowAngel~ I have to disagree sir, since with a tongue other than Chinese ones you can hardly decipher JP by listening; most Asian countries use Latin alphabet you see. I listen to JP maybe 2 hrs a day, and the best I can do is pick out the worlds I know... Lol

ummmm
right~ it might also depend on what it's like trying to learn a language. English people learning chinese is different from vice versa x-x

All I'm saying is that there's different things that might not be explainable that you'd just have to learn from experience. ex: There's lots of exceptions and stuff in English, and hardly anything equal to the word "it" in other languages~

with a tongue other than Chinese ones you can hardly decipher JP by listening
emmm Chinese and Japanese are different right? x-x I've talked to some Japanese people, and they say that the best they can do is take a good guess at what a kanji means in chinese. It's probably no different with listening~ I've listened to lots of Japanese as well~ I've heard some words often enough to pick them out, but not know what they mean. buuuut that might make it easier to learn it once I get to them? This is partly how I'm learning German right now too. My professor doesn't really explain why she uses this method, but she says things like it's proven to work or something like that. I think it has to do with exploring the language x-x

I'm not sure what you mean about the talking part~ There's accents and all of course. ummm I've heard lots of stuff about research and all where listening is more mastered first than output. They connect that by saying how we learn as a child by listening and interacting first, then later trying to communicate in different ways.
mmmmm after so much, you might be able to learn the language within that language? It's almost like learning vocabulary with a book~

---

another interesting thing I want to throw out there~ I find that playing in a language helps me learn best, especially Japanese. German, I may learn more by listening? at least right now i feel that way since i don't have a complete understanding of the sounds yet.
Japanese, I kinda treat kanji like an art~ it somehow helps XD

German... sounds stiff to me after almost 3 years of learning. Just an impression though, you'll eventually get around ^^ *just got floored in the listening test early in the morning*

This is the result of learning a language by talking and listening to native speakers, usually, whether you are a child or just a foreigner. I don't think it's possible to learn Japanese on a level sufficient for speaking just by watching anime. You'll surely learn some expressions, though.

Hi,,,...///:) try this Jp + En in The same Row + Jp Voice Karakara カラカラ 1-2
Fun + you can learn something ;)

Hi,,,...///:) try this Jp + En in The same Row + Jp Voice Karakara カラカラ 1-2
Fun + you can learn something ;)

Thanks for the informative post, the existence of games like Karakara and websites where you can earn money by sharing images like imagetwist were both news to me. :)
I'm currently playing Jooubachi no Oubou in Japanese with the help of Visual Novel Reader, I think that the ability to check a vocabulary entry for every word and expression you encounter in the game makes VNR more effective tool for learning a language. All the more, because the presented English translation isn't literal and it's not necessarily contains translation of every Japanese word that appears in the text. For example, the Japanese text on your screenshot 「ほこり落としは軽く撫でるように。あまり強くやると小物や本を床に落としちゃうから、優しくやってあげてね」 is translated here as 'Be gentle when you're using the dusting brush. If you stroke too hard with it, you'll end up knocking the small articles and books to the floor. Remember: gentle,' while the literal translation is 'Stroke lightly when you are dusting. If you do it too strongly, you will end up dropping the small articles and books to the floor, so do a favour of doing it gently, will you?' Different nuances are lost when you see an already completed translation and some original words end up missing from it, making it impossible to learn their translation. So, it's always better to translate yourself. However, the opportunity to look at a completed translation isn't necessarily a bad thing, because you can check your own translation when you have doubts whether it's correct.

Hi, again :) about Learning, it just Repeat Repeat and Repeat before, you Remember. It, good find who know, other Lang, and hawe Patience, to Teach you. :)
In for start i prefer
1) Get-Buy book for kids Your Lang and Lang what you want Learn
2) Get-Buy English - Japan Jp - Eng Dictionary and translate by your self
3) Get-Buy Voice teacher training
4) Try find someone who know lang you want learn Live - Skype - Etc and start talk
5) Try go to vacation in Land with other Lang
or simple way just go and Pay for training courses Ж)

Hi, 4yvak, thank you. :) I'm currently learning Japanese only to be able to translate from it, I'm not much interested in speaking and writing in Japanese myself. Initially I started studying Japanese because I wanted to be able to read Japanese Visual novels, but if it will make me capable of reading Japanese in general and watching anime without subtitles, it will be a great bonus. I definitely agree with you when you say that it's Repeat, Repeat and Repeat before you Remember, everything I memorized so far required a lot of repeating! I've already read a grammar book and mostly understand how grammar works, so my main current goal is learning kanji and expressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。
nanashinanashi wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/111125-overdrive-d2b-vs-deardrops-cross-the-future.1174725/ to katefile or mexashare or rosefile.Thanks
Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.