Thread: A weird JP learning method...?

Fanfiction Maniac Satellizer123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

A weird JP learning method...?

A few friends of mine claim to be able to understand JP by listening, but they also say that they cannot read any kanji nor Hiragana, Katakana etc... I guess it means they take no grammar lessons either. Does anyone know how they can do it? If yes then could you show me the method? Thanks in advance ^^
    Ignore This Signature
    I'm best known as Satellizer123 on this site, the largest anime chars database on the internet ^^
    MikuxLuka & SaberxShirou are my favorite fanfiction OTPs!
    Click here for free Mediafire HCG, H-manga, doujin and more!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,160 Times in 813 Posts
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveRecommendation First ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Re: A weird JP learning method...?

If you spend 3 years listening to a huge amount of Japanese without having subs, yet you understand what they meant in a general go around way, you can.

Though, that's 3 years of a lot of listening - probably 10-12 hours a day. It's not really worth the effort. The easiest way would be to man up and learn the hira + kata and some BASIC grammar. It's not hard and it can be done in 3 months. After that, if you takes time to do a lot of reading, you shall get acquainted with the Kanji and enriched your vocabulary within just a year or a year a half.

I did it by playing eroge
    Last edited by Checkmate; November 14th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

I only post what I bought. My uploads are for those who share the same taste but could not easily import them. If you can buy the game, please do it to support the company.
    Bugs report belong to the Site Support, not my inbox.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassYour first GroupOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

this is considered the way people first learn their language. Their argument is that children learn by listening and interacting. This method is heavily used in things like Rosetta stone, or japanesepod101.com
    They encourage you to explore by your own interests, which helps you learn faster~

Noww you can't really learn just by hearing alone. You need every part of a given experience. Repeated phrases and words with actions is more or less what helps a child learn. When you learn enough of the language, you can get to the point where you don't need your native language to learn. I should also note that there are some things you don't have to learn to be good at the language. It'll come eventually~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 974 Posts
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

There's a considerable difference in how efficient you can decipher what you listen to depending on your own vernacular. If you have an Asian tongue (or are used to pronounce most words the way they're written), you may find it easier to catch, understand, and thus learn new words simply by listening. However, associating them with the correct meanings is an entirely different story.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.
      Spoiler: Stats 

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassYour first GroupOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

right~ it might also depend on what it's like trying to learn a language. English people learning chinese is different from vice versa x-x

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience Points3 months registered

My Japanese teacher uses the method ''Take the sheet and stone them into your head by next week or your out of the game.'' I actually like that attitiued XD helps me to learn
    Ignore This Signature

One of countless souls... nanashi1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,129 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    SOTM #29 WinnerSOTM #54 WinnerSOTM #56 WinnerSOTM #59 WinnerSOTM #60 Winner

Since I'm a Nippon-lover(~15 year), have I my Japanese-skills on the first by anime startet, where after learn-method branch by another media extended have: Games from Nippon (and not just VN...), mangas, LN until j-books...

And I since then have not just the language studied but culture and the background/history of country too learned have... Where I find out have, that the Japanese-language or better said the grammar, with one my native language (Hungarian) related is... I was really surprised, where I from this day more and more Japanese learn wanted...
    Last edited by nanashi1; November 17th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
    Ignore This Signature
      Spoiler: ASF's contest  
    [/CENTER]
    Notice: The following banners/notices are to their contests/threads linked, if you wanna to there join then click it!!

Thanks
    Achievements:

Thanks a lot for all the feedback ^^
    @~SnowAngel~ I have to disagree sir, since with a tongue other than Chinese ones you can hardly decipher JP by listening; most Asian countries use Latin alphabet you see. I listen to JP maybe 2 hrs a day, and the best I can do is pick out the worlds I know... Lol
    Ignore This Signature
    I'm best known as Satellizer123 on this site, the largest anime chars database on the internet ^^

Thanks
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Satellizer123 View Post
    @~SnowAngel~ I have to disagree sir, since with a tongue other than Chinese ones you can hardly decipher JP by listening; most Asian countries use Latin alphabet you see. I listen to JP maybe 2 hrs a day, and the best I can do is pick out the worlds I know... Lol
    ummmm
    Quote Originally Posted by ~SnowAngel~ View Post
    right~ it might also depend on what it's like trying to learn a language. English people learning chinese is different from vice versa x-x
    All I'm saying is that there's different things that might not be explainable that you'd just have to learn from experience. ex: There's lots of exceptions and stuff in English, and hardly anything equal to the word "it" in other languages~

with a tongue other than Chinese ones you can hardly decipher JP by listening
    emmm Chinese and Japanese are different right? x-x I've talked to some Japanese people, and they say that the best they can do is take a good guess at what a kanji means in chinese. It's probably no different with listening~ I've listened to lots of Japanese as well~ I've heard some words often enough to pick them out, but not know what they mean. buuuut that might make it easier to learn it once I get to them? This is partly how I'm learning German right now too. My professor doesn't really explain why she uses this method, but she says things like it's proven to work or something like that. I think it has to do with exploring the language x-x

I'm not sure what you mean about the talking part~ There's accents and all of course. ummm I've heard lots of stuff about research and all where listening is more mastered first than output. They connect that by saying how we learn as a child by listening and interacting first, then later trying to communicate in different ways.
    mmmmm after so much, you might be able to learn the language within that language? It's almost like learning vocabulary with a book~

---

another interesting thing I want to throw out there~ I find that playing in a language helps me learn best, especially Japanese. German, I may learn more by listening? at least right now i feel that way since i don't have a complete understanding of the sounds yet.
    Japanese, I kinda treat kanji like an art~ it somehow helps XD

Thanks
    Achievements:

German... sounds stiff to me after almost 3 years of learning. Just an impression though, you'll eventually get around ^^ *just got floored in the listening test early in the morning*
    Ignore This Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information