Like Tree7Likes

Thread: [Article] Learning Japanese through Visual Novels

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: [Article] Learning Japanese through Visual Novels

Thank you so much for this awesome post! Saw this a wile back but put it off because i figured there would be a lot of configuring/troubleshooting involved. I installed the programs for games yesterday and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

The text hooker is a lot more user friendly than AGTH, and the Translation Aggregator works really well giving not only translation but also an auto dictionary, I could even set it up so it shows the English characters equivalent to the Japanese characters.

Again, thank you for sharing this awesome learning resource.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Nice post, had a hard time with kanji.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Quote Originally Posted by Animaksiat View Post
    you can't learn write kanji by hand alone, even if there's a guide book... you need a teacher first! to teach you how to wrote basic kanji!

otherwise, even if you manage to do it alone, you'll spent years for mastering it, even though you could master it in a few week training
    Yeah, you're right, thx

Thanks
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Hey guys. New poster here. よろしく! I think people CAN master kanji on their own. Using:
    • Remembering The Kanji by Heisig

• this font with strokes order on all of Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji

• Anki (a flashcard program utilizing SRS algorithms so that you don't forget), and the Lazy Kanji Mod public deck (check this and this image on how to get the deck, and the program's site FAQ on how to use the aforementioned font. You might also want to check the link in the deck's description)

• and this pdf with magic squares of awesome on it to write them Kanjis inside

• as well as an available printer and a few months

it's quite possible to learn how to write and know more or less the meaning of 2042 Kanji (the last 150 will be way to easy). Maybe not how to read them, but it's a good start.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Nice, I want to read manga and novels :3
    ありがとう!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lqzk1o

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danru View Post
    hmmm... maybe i have a guide book and naving a text book of japanese, and i know some few of hiragana and katana, i mean is what i should do if i studied a kanji of japanese, because tthe kanji from chine (mandarin) is look diferent from kanji on japan.....

so please your enlightment...
    i am a chinese from mainland china,i agree that japanese kanji look different from simplified chinese characters(简化字),even 简化字 are different from traditional hanzi,but if i memorize a little differences i can read them both(but i cannot write the other two).i suggest if you learn japanese you only learn japanese kanji,unless you wanna learn chinese,too.
    and i am pleasure to discuss with hanji afterward.
    sorry for my poor english

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    SOTM #18 WinnerSOTM #21 Winner

yeah....watching anime and playing VN really help me learn japanese...all i need is someone who can speak with
    Ignore This Signature

Currently Playing : FE Blazing Sword, FE 12

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

This really helps, I tried it and learn a bunch from it.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Hello, everyone! こんにちは、皆さん!

I skimmed through the thread and found some points where my experience learning Japanese on my own may help a bit.

If you're looking for a way to learn Japanese on your own without having to buy books, CDs, or the like, please continue reading.

Although the last post was quite some time ago, in case they're still interested, and for the people checking this out, here's my ten cents' worth:

First, as the author of this thread stated, you can learn Japanese through visual novels and animes. I totally agree.

This is how I'm doing it, and I've been having a blast for the past two years, killing two birds with one stone.

If you're looking to really learn Japanese on your own, then there are a few tools you'll need to arm yourself with before embarking on this perilous journey. If you're patient enough, then it won't be as dangerous for your computer and your head - high risk of getting infected by the urge to bang either, or both, against the wall.

Increasing your vocabulary and familiarizing yourself with grammar is the first important step, but you'll also need start on the basics of reading and writing at the same time.

I learned by picking up words from animes that kept popping up frequently, usually adjectives, and tried to confirm what I thought they meant with the jisho (dictionary). Knowing how Japanese words are written in romaji makes this task easier.

For this you'll need zkanji - a totally free downloadable English-Japanese and vice-versa dictionary from sourceforge. Having the Denshi Jisho bookmarked in your browsers will also be very helpful. The feature-rich zkanji can be quite a handful, but it will be something incredibly useful and what you're probably going to look for later down this road.

For the Denshi Jisho, please remember to look way down the landing page (lower left) and click Regular Site. The regular site or the old look is WAY BETTER than the new look for many reasons, but most importantly, it tells you the type of word (noun, verb, etc.), it lists down all the possible meanings for the word, and it also gives you the stroke order - how to write it - if you're really into learning how to write in Japanese manually (without the computer).

Another very useful guide is Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese. It also contains a lot of what you'll need to start with in reading and writing; tons of resources that are completely free. Most of the grammar basics I learned, I learned from this guide. They also have the full manual on downloadable PDF so you can take it around with you.

If you're already well-versed with the kanas and are now trying to expand your kanji list, then you'll need Capture2Text (also free) by Christopher Brochtrup. I cannot overstate enough how this tool has helped me learn kanji faster from reading raw mangas. (Switching periodically from viewing the English version of the manga to with raw version helps with the grammar, too.) It captures the kanji from your browser or PDF viewer which you can paste on to zkanji or Denshi Jisho.

To practice reading kanji and to memorize it, ANKI is a very good tool. With it you can download lots of different learning styles for memorizing kanji. It even has a review where you can read full sentences in Japanese, further immersing you in fun. Although ANKI is very popular, there's a dark horse that I also love - KanjiGold (also completely free). It guides you through the grades in Kanji with the kana, English translations, uses of the word(s), and a quiz-like GUI that tests you on what you remember.

I'll keep this until here for now, but if you need further information on places out there that have made learning Japanese fun and free, do let me know. I've spent over two years scouring the web for these precious gems, and all the kind-hearted developers who made all this possible deserve to have more genuine appreciative attention laden on them.

Long live to freedom on the internet!

PS

I'd really appreciate it if someone can let me know of a way to get animes with Japanese subtitles instead of English.
    MidoriAmatoya likes this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to choonagi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1000 Experience PointsYour first Group3 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by choonagi View Post
    I'd really appreciate it if someone can let me know of a way to get animes with Japanese subtitles instead of English.
    Yes, I agree with you there. I'd like to try out watching English anime with Japanese subtitles. O; It seems to me like it'd be easier.
    Ignore This Signature
    ♥♥♥ 河合ウサギです♥♥♥

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information