noob here halp

kactaplb

ASL Slave MkII
Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2011
so. yes. me drawing ahahhaha. Started out as a funny idea, but surprisingly enjoying, if not for the busy work. ugh that shading. Anyways, complete noob here, any criticism appreciated. And tips. No idea what sort of supplies I need. For now I'd like to stay away from Photo Shop/cg and solely do pencil drawings. Also, I don't have a technique per say. I do a quick rough sketch with proportions and then on another card stock I just have at it.

I don't have a scanner, and I can't find my camera. Terrible phone camera is go. I'll upload more/better quality later.

I had a reference for most of these, credit where credit is due lazy.jpg.

Last edited:
Well just wanna say it looks good for a starter :3
I drew actually very similar to your style xD Reminiscing~~~
Well i so far like it. Seems like at the moment you like drawing portrait. Add some attitude with your style to spice things up >:D

Reactions: kactaplb
I would start off by drawing without using any references at all just to see where my drawing abilities actually stand.
Just think up of a pose and a basic character and draw out of your head (full figure).
I would then identify what I need the most work on and work on improving them one at a time.

As for supplies, it's good to have a little wooden mannequin on your desk to give you visualization of a pose. Most art stores sell them.
For pencils I suggest Staedtler's Luminograph series. You can find a pack of 4, which includes pencils from HB~4B.
Make sure you have a good eraser if you expect to work with your pencils a lot. Get one of those pen-type eraser heads that don't hurt your paper. I've had a lot of bad experiences where erasing too many times with a regular eraser ruined my otherwise eligible drawings.
Last but not least, music befitting to the theme of your drawing. You'll be amazed at how much difference it can make.

Best advice I can give you as a noob myself, is to never draw when you don't feel like it. Unlike for the people who make living off of drawing, nothing good comes out of forcing yourself to draw when you have no inspiration. Just keep this in the corner of your head and you'll do wonders (*・∀-)☆

viet: thanks~ I'll try to make it more interesting. Full portrait is a little hard for me atm... I always seem to run out of space for the legs/feet

orisa: Hmm, the Yuu graveyard and Ohana one were without reference, other than the basic what they wear/features. I'll have to upload my very first drawing, which was completely original. The mannequin is a great idea, I was using myself/mirror lol.

Seems I have to kidnap some poor soul from the art department and have them explain to me some basics maybe. "pencils from HB~4B"? lol wut.

Lol pencils vary in the hardness/softness of the lead 9B is the softest (darkest) and 9H is the hardest (lightest). The chart hardest to softest is 9H 8H... H F HB B 1B... 9B. Im busy drawing myself atm so i guess i add more comments later~

Last edited:
The chart hardest to softest is 9H 8B... H F HB B 1B... 9B.
"9H 8B... H" <-- nice typo, samy you narb :>
He means 9H 8H...

Anyway, these are amazing if you refer to yourself as a beginner...
And if you draw more you will naturally find your own art style/techniques that you can't even completely shake off if you wanted to.

As for art supplies... i just use normal writing pencils and a good eraser, you don't really need different pencils at this point because we all eventually move on to CG if we go down this path... (this is just my opinion)

Baka: I was surprised myself. I'm a science major who can't even draw a straight line carbon ring correctly(one of my prof even told me they look like badly drawn circles).... It's fine since it seems you can cheat a lot with human figure and still have it look ok lol (from a distance). But, It's fairly frustrating since I have zero idea what I'm doing. Imitate until it's mine huh?
"we all eventually move on to CG if we go down this path" For now, I'm not aiming to be an artist or anything. This is just something for myself on the side. I'm a noob at PS anyhow-technology-
(-_-)
Samy:... thanks anyways.

I think my school has a scanner they'll let me use. :evillaugh:

Hmm in terms of the human figure you should break it down into simple shapes (circles ovals and the such) to get an idea of how the figure would look afterwards... Too complicated to explain online =.= or too lazy anyway lol but your proportions arent bad anyway xD

Highly recommended. (I have a physical copy but I know better than trying to get you lot to buy anything.)

Other than that.. uh.. practice? I particularly think the eyes could be softer, but it's up to you.

If you're shading, you might want to consider using charcoal. I find it faster than pencil and you can achieve darker tones with it. However, it smudges, so you need to buy a fixative and spray it after you finish.

As for practice, I reccomend using the site posemaniacs.com They have a lot of references and lots of exercises. My most reccomended exercise is the 30 second drawing, where they show a random pose and you have to draw it before the time runs out and another pose comes up. The time limit is adjustable, it can go up to 90 seconds. If that's still very though for you, just use the random pose viewer instead, it has no time limit. This way not only will you practice a lot poses in a short period of time, but you'll also draw lots of unusual poses and angles you would have not thought of yourself. The site also has a 3D hand in various poses, so you can use that to practice or use as a reference, since hands are something that's very hard to learn for most people.

Seitsuki: thanks I'll check it out sometime. //////// why must art books always use ugly models qq

Gothicat: wow are you supposed to draw detail? or just those stick and ball/ guideline sort of modeling? I don't use any guidelines atm. But thanks, the poses should help.

Photo-0010.jpg

Photo-0011.jpg
I tried an overhead perspective, and I think I failed. Also was going to have her looking up but yea I forgot. And yes she is holding the katana the wrong way, by the time I noticed it was too late.

all comments appreciated thanks

Last edited:
If you're using the 30 second exercise, you're not supposed to even use guidelines. Just draw it as you see it, proportion is not really the point, although they will naturally get better as you go along. If you can draw even the pose of the hand in that time, then you've become really good. The main point is to understand by experience how muscles bend in different perspectives, so when you draw on your own without reference, you'll naturally remember it and be able to make up your own poses. For example, one thing you'll improve really quick is how the shoulders bend, and its a small thing that makes your poses much more natural.

As for perspective, that is a whole other can of worms. You can learn how to do heads looking up and have the body parts in different angles fairly quick, but doing a whole picture in an odd perspective like you wanted is hard. After almost 6 years of drawing, 4 casually and 2 seriously, I still don't like to do it. The basic idea is to find a vanishing point and then draw the whole rest of the picture inside guidelines that originate from that point. This can turn into a mess very quickly and that's the simple perspective. There's other types of perspective that can have up to three vanishing points. You can search for some tutorials online, but this is something I recommend buying a book for.

I'd leave you with some tutorials, but all of the ones I found online suck compared to books, and almost all of them focus on architecture and don't show how figures work inside the guidelines. Even a small magazine that has 10 pages dedicated to it is better than those tutorials. I'd scan it, but its in Portuguese, and so is the book I have. Best thing to do is to check if your library has a book on it, and figure out if its something you want to focus on now or do it later when you have more experience.

What Gothicat said about vanishing point.
Try keeping the shape of a cone (reverse cone in the case of your drawing) in your mind when you plan out your proportions attempting an overhead perspective.

Personally I would hold off on perspective drawings until you get the basics down. Perspective figure drawing is a really advanced drawing technique.

So you can get an idea how it works, here's a quick and dirty sketch I did using perspective with one simple vainishing point. Keep in mind that this is a very simplified version, you need way more guidelines than that and I didn't even make the guidelines that good. But you get the basic idea. The more objects you add, the more guidelines you need.

My%20art

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi I looking for axl vocal collection cd for a long time. would you reupload these 3 files?
tekitonine wrote on Shine's profile.
nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02
tahmurath wrote on amaimono's profile.
Hi. amaimono. What if you have it savedata Boku No Elf Oneesan "My Elf Elder Sister" just now,
Can you Give me It Savedata ??
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.