Just starting to draw!

w33t

Programmer
Nov 3, 2012
Hey everyone! I'm a long time anime fan but never got around to try to draw. It's always something I've wanted to do but never really had the time for. Over the past few weeks I've been practicing ad I've seen lots of improvement.

I'm finding it difficult to draw women. I don't know why.

Any tips? I'd love feedback!

My first few. (Dont laugh!)
4ape8ahu.jpg

5abyruny.jpg

More recently.
ebavy2uz.jpg

9uqerene.jpg

uqadama2.jpg

arazete8.jpg

it's good to do some freedrawing like you did, fast, self inspirational, and get you used to the strokes
but as it always is with beginners
start with templates:runhappy:
20_Face_Templates_by_Supaslim.jpg

the link that thecoins gave is a good one , even if you don't understand japanese you can just go through the steps drawn on those guides

I would recommend to improve that you find other artists who you like their style (usually a few different ones) and try to re-produce, or emulate their work by reference (when you post it somewhere, be sure to say who you reference though).

That can really help you get a feel for how the lines work together. Life drawing is also really helpful, if you can do that. Other than that just drawing in general will get you there slowly but surely. :)

My latest! Im actually really proud of this! Same Girl as the colored one! I spent almost 5 hours on this and i guess taking your time really pays off! Feedback please!

7Tdr8v1

^Trying to display with this. probably wont work^

http://imgur.com/7Tdr8v1

Hmmm quite lot of improvement overall. the head is quite good, but the hands are bit too small.

learn the basics--- work on trying to draw subjects as if they were walking towards you and you only had 15 seconds to capture the "essence" of the person. google gesture drawing. i teach drawing and I always tell students to worrk about refining the outline (contour) as the last step before moving on to value. i teach a sequence---1. armature and structure (armature = supports the rest of the form--- a stick figure is a simplified version of a complex armature---the skeletal system. structure---think of it as the framework that holds up the structure---like a building in construction----by drawing vertical and horizontal lines it creates references where to put everything else in the drawing--helps with anatomy, perspective, scale, etc). 2 gestural massing.---similar to cursive writing---overlapping, continuous lines that mass out the form (on top of the armature) isn't outline specific---can easily be modified, erased, and builds the volume of the form and allows you to layer overlapping lines to create value and contrast shifts. good for adding value and contrast to later. is meant to be quick, along with gesture and armature----leaves more time for refining later. 3. revisions to structure, form, etc. just like an english paper. start with the rough draft and then refine. 4. after form is accurate (and accurate with rest of composition) Edge Refinement. outlines are dangerous to start off with--like a bad relationship--they are hard to get out of---and when you try to fix one element, you realize have to fix everything. sometimes starting over is a good thing. do it better and quicker when you know what the mistakes are. 5. cross-contour (volumetric expression----like the wire frame models used for video games and cgi---controlled lines that round things out, or create directional changes---helps to separate surfaces.
don't be afraid to can your roughs---- level for white and black values and then print at different sizes---work small so you spend less time in revision---then re-scan and reprint to start adding value, contrast, contours, details etc.
tracing paper can be your best friend if you don't have time to scan for revisions. add registration marks on original (used for getting everything re-aligned after the fact---i use t's at top left-top right and bottom left---tape tracing paper down over original--trace registration marks---then make corrections, add value, all that stuff. do a little or a lot. if you scan the registration marks, will speed up overlays in any graphics program. marker does not go through tracing paper so you can add value, color, etc.
keep taking notes on your drawings---notes are more important than signatures
feng zhu is someone you should check out for traditional media as well as digital---bigtime concept artist for games, movies etc---tons of video tutorials. i've learned a lot from watching what production artists do to save time. they don't get paid by the hour usually so time is money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM
keep at it, and make sure you learn basic perspective, anatomy and composition
good luck

epic fails

Like the honesty but its a little harsh

W33t dont let that put you down
You did improve a lot
keep going and practice more on body anatomy. It does help.

Looking forward to more.

Thank you for all the help and support everyone! I know it's been a while but I plan on updating the thread with more progress. I have more drawings that I'd love to show you but I don't have my computer at the moment. They will come soon!

Reactions: mekenimerlaur
for a begginer you are really good, i can see area's for improvement but i myself aren't an artist, although i wouldn't mind learning! keep it up and im sure you'll be as good as people that do it for a career!

I think they look really good, you just started and still have much to improve but I've seen people that are far worse than this. Don't stop! You can only get better, I need to remind myself of that a lot. :3

Hello again!

These aren't any recent drawings but were around the time I made the last one i posted. Thanks for taking the time to look.

I felt as if I moved a little too quickly on the picture of the guy.
http://imgur.com/aHRGCRZ

Also in the second photo, i attempted to draw the girl flipping her hair but i failed a little. =]
http://imgur.com/mOASfpx

ohhh, i see improvements
good job :cheerleader:

why not make a deviant art and join the comunity?
it's fun, and you'll learn alot

I think I made one a few months back but never really used it. What's the community like?

generally supportive, the community is better than i thought.
the tutorials section is very helpful, should definately check it out
there're alot of contests too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。