Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What is your opinion on Time Travelling?

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: What is your opinion on Time Travelling?

Time traveling is possible, just as how possible human's curiosity is.

Time traveling to the past should not be motivated by sense of regret or fueled by the urge to change pasts, adding save/load options to real life simply destroys the purpose of living to the fullest of present moment, besides the butterfly effect it could have caused as discussed long before here. If traveling to the past is a focus, then it has to be for 'educational' purposes and the time travelers involved are to be shielded by something that can do no slightest change in history, viewing the history as observers in kind of 'ghostly' form. But hey, all of these just my personal PoV, not much of us would actually 'respect and follow' that 'law' for such boring purpose if time traveling is opened to anyone, eh? What if someone actually time travels for personal and selfish purposes? It would mean utter chaos. (Don't mean to upset the ones with artistic thinking that goes with 'if I could go back to the past, I would have been different today', ya know :p). Personally, this depends more on thinking of people. Perhaps I would be more glad and accepting to the mistakes I made in the pasts once I realized how enormous the effects and responsibilities that revolve with the people around, which I cannot possibly carry to live on as a sane person, for how much it would affect myself throughout the progress of time traveling as well. No one really knows until attempting time travels.

Another pseudo-thinking of mine, let's say putting the concept of reincarnation into our real life. I made mistakes I would regret the whole life. At the end of my life I wished to live again as a human for another better life than the previous one. (You have to be real oriented or fixated to something that you are willing to live another life just to correct it, I suppose?). That's all I can think of for now.

At the end of points, I would say to fulfill certain fantasies (like experience living in the history) is better done in 'another' world (I don't have actual ideas about this) instead of time traveling to the past or doing something-something in few or many different timelines.

Since, ya know, time travel can be dangerous if it is used to serve for self-fulfilling desires.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lonans For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 955 Posts
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

A short discussion of time travel by someone who knows way more than I do, Steven Hawking.

He thinks it's possible.

Ignore This Signature

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Leggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    A short discussion of time travel by someone who knows way more than I do, Steven Hawking.

He thinks it's possible.
    That's probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard from that Steven, a whole load of wasted energy.

For a 100 of years, running at that speed? Come on, in space you don't need that much of fuel and with no friction at all you can accelerate exponentially more easier. X'D
    Well, it was though, a very good explanation on how time would behave inside the train, I'll give points to it. I even liked it on how it was narrated.

Problem is that I don't believe that's the only thing happening inside the train. I believe the brain neurons (signals) travels thousands times faster than our muscles, which means our brain might be working thousand and thousands more faster if we are inside that train.

If that's true, then we are feeling everything that our body is feeling being either happiness or sadness, pain or joy.. way much longer than expected. Thinking a lots of things when our body isn't really moving as fast as we might want to, is some kind of a torture, specially if our brain is getting tired. As the train goes to the future, we might sleep with our eyes open more times than our hand is trying to reach the next page of the book you might try to read inside the train.

And you want to experience that... for 100 of years?? Haha. No thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Schwarzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

@Schwarzy; One of the fun things about Steven Hawking, is that agree or disagree, like or dislike, the things he he says always seem to generate a lot of discussion.

As you noted, it would take so much energy (in space or Earth) to accelerate to near light speed, time travel by that method is currently impossible.

Still, the clip does illustrate Einstein's Theory of Relativity. However, it glosses over the fact that for the people on the train, time would seem to be passing normally. So the girl running in the aisles would appear no different to other passengers. They wouldn't notice any differences.

A real world example of time dilation, is being a Detroit Lions fan. As we watch the Lions blow game after game, week after week, time just seems to go slower and slower and s-l-o-w-e-r...
    Ignore This Signature

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

@Leggy; ooooh, Time dilation. I haven't heard that word quite some time now. It took me like a whole week trying to understand that. Not even this Mikownski? dude's diagram help at all. In the end, I found out that it was just a phenomenon. xD

Haha you mean the brain's power to make things slower? I've felt that too. xD

I like the time traveling like in the butterfly effect, where you can be kid again. Now wouldn't that be great. hohoho

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Schwarzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

I'm a big Doctor Who fan. The Doctor travels to all sorts of times and places in his TARDIS, and fixes things that go wrong.

But there are certain fixed points in time, that he can't change, no matter what, like not being able to save Pompeii.
    Ignore This Signature

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Leggy For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information