Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Be Very Careful at NYAA ...a major Trojan Attack underway in Hentai games and anime

Incompetent Teitoku pichu655889's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 871 Posts
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Re: Be Very Careful at NYAA ...a major Trojan Attack underway in both games and anime

Whether or not the torrents are infected, it's still good practice to be careful and ensure you're not downloading any malware/virus into your computer.

Although having never experienced being infected before I can't really say much.
    Ignore This Signature

My blog: 655889 things

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Close to JP GMT +9 Time Zone. However not at JP atm.
    Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Re: Be Very Careful at NYAA ...a major Trojan Attack underway in both games and anime

Quote Originally Posted by Joyjason View Post
    The thing I'm curious about is...

How are they "injecting" said viruses onto the torrents? When are the viruses actually received? What does the "attacks" consist of?
    Just because there are "as-claimed" 70 people who confirmed its existence, there's definitely a chance that they all went to the wrong site and received the virus.

Now, I know it's not highly likely, but you can't just throw away that possibility and point fingers at a single torrent site.

Again, I'm no expert--but how are they "sending" such viruses to victims? If the victim is infected, how is the virus triggered and what are its symptoms (aka, how do you know it's a virus?) Is this diagnosis consistent for all the victims?

One can even look up the "infected" torrents and see if there's a pattern.

I understand the Original Poster had good intentions of alerting anyone he could, but without definite evidence (you could have at least linked some of the torrents that were claimed to be infected, or at least take a screenshot of the comments), you're simply blabbing about something that you expect us to believe unconditionally.

While I don't think anyone here is knowledgeable about this topic (which includes me), I do believe we all know better than to take for granted a theory/claim out of the air.
    Well I agree on this post and opinion of yours. Although, I would believe the admins and moderators of Nyaa would of at least removed and neutralized the problems by now. Assuming they're serious about their reputation of host an index for others to get their stuff. I would, if I was planning to keep running it for a long term. Can't say about anything else though.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

I am not an expert at nasty practices...but it is easy enough to place a trojan into game files and then zip it up and make a torrent. It can also be placed into any exec. I was not passing on meaningless spam i was sharing a honest concern. There are plenty of posts about this in the torrents themselves on NYAA if you would like to look to conform. I frankly dont have the time with my work schedule and demands to do more than i did, and as i see some people have taken note and will be careful that is all I had hoped for. Dont need to be believed by all, nor frankly do I care to, just wanted to give a caution for any who are careful. I myself will not download anything from there for a while. the mods there clearly do not monitor that closely nor do they have the time to do so. They do great to keep that great channel flowing. It is up to us the users to be careful ourselves and report when we can. Glad I helped some. Have a nice day.

btw...the section i am referring to is ONLY the Hentai section of NYAA of Games and Anime for that specific section. The main Anime section has not had these problems that i have ever seen. that is perhaps much better moderated.

I saw warnings in posts that specific torrents were infected and it had taken the poster a day to clean their system after wards,..other messages that such and such a submitter of over 70 torrents was a known Trojan distributor and those torrents were generic, no info no pictures just a catchy and well known title and the link to download. When i saw these warnings for several days running and there were a lot of torrents that had not much info on them i decided to avoid using any for a while and thought to post a warning here. Sorry i dont have the specifics, as i said I just dont have time to take chances. hope that helps a bit

I edited the Opening post to try to make this a bit clearer.
    Last edited by adameve; February 23rd, 2014 at 04:27 AM.
    Ignore This Signature

Incompetent Teitoku pichu655889's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 871 Posts
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Quote Originally Posted by adameve View Post
    I am not an expert at nasty practices...but it is easy enough to place a trojan into game files and then zip it up and make a torrent. It can also be placed into any exec. I was not passing on meaningless spam i was sharing a honest concern. There are plenty of posts about this in the torrents themselves on NYAA if you would like to look to conform. I frankly dont have the time with my work schedule and demands to do more than i did, and as i see some people have taken note and will be careful that is all I had hoped for. Dont need to be believed by all, nor frankly do I care to, just wanted to give a caution for any who are careful. I myself will not download anything from there for a while. the mods there clearly do not monitor that closely nor do they have the time to do so. They do great to keep that great channel flowing. It is up to us the users to be careful ourselves and report when we can. Glad I helped some. Have a nice day.

btw...the section i am referring to is ONLY the Hentai section of NYAA of Games and Anime for that specific section. The main Anime section has not had these problems that i have ever seen. that is perhaps much better moderated.

I saw warnings in posts that specific torrents were infected and it had taken the poster a day to clean their system after wards,..other messages that such and such a submitter of over 70 torrents was a known Trojan distributor and those torrents were generic, no info no pictures just a catchy and well known title and the link to download. When i saw these warnings for several days running and there were a lot of torrents that had not much info on them i decided to avoid using any for a while and thought to post a warning here. Sorry i dont have the specifics, as i said I just dont have time to take chances. hope that helps a bit

I edited the Opening post to try to make this a bit clearer.
    So... sukebei.nyaa.se? I don't find it entirely surprising that there would be malicious software hidden inside some of the files there. Just continue downloading from trusted sources and should be fine. I took a look at the "Fun" section yesterday and I can't say that I found any torrents that looked suspicious, only the usual ones you find there from the usual groups
    Ignore This Signature

My blog: 655889 things

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Re: Be Very Careful at NYAA ...a major Trojan Attack underway in Hentai games and anime

It was last week now, and they may indeed have cleaned it up. it was a long string of rather odd postings as i said, just very generic and many of them and they may have all been from one or two people., Lets hope it is fixed. They are a good source often for hard to find things.
    Ignore This Signature

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information