Question about Osaka and the surrounding towns/cities

KingArturia

孤独な騎士王
Oct 31, 2010
Fellow residences of ASF, I know there are many of you who are experienced and lived in Japan extensively previously, or are native Japanese who lurks around the forum, so I wonder whether or not I could get a few suggestions from you guys to help me plan my trip to Japan. I've been to Tokyo for the past 2 trip to Japan recently, wanting to explore more of Japan so I decided this time I want to go to Osaka region instead. However never been to Osaka region before, I want to see what are people's suggestions on things to try such as local food, nearly town/cities to visit. At the moment I'm thinking of staying there for a week or so, and already have Himeji Castle as one of the place to visit. Since Kobe and Matsusaka is nearby ish (within 2 hours of travel I think?) which city is more famous for its beef? I'm a big beef fan and want to try some really nice wagyuu beef. I would like to leave a day to do some anime related hunting if there is something similar to that of Akihabara near Osaka that would be great as well. I'm opened to suggestions and I hope you guys can give me ideas on what I could do for my time there! :D

Heya... one of the lurking Japanese here.

I lived in Osaka for about a year on business, for food, Osaka is known as the kitchen of Japan, it has historically been known for its cuisine, takoyaki and kushiage, if you want it all in the same place, Doutobori(道頓堀) has it all for food.

For site seeing and such, Kyoto is pretty close by so you should go there, I mean the oldest city and former capital of Japan has many things to see, albeit it'll be full of foreigners that may ruin the atmosphere.

Reactions: KingArturia
Heya... one of the lurking Japanese here.

I lived in Osaka for about a year on business, for food, Osaka is known as the kitchen of Japan, it has historically been known for its cuisine, takoyaki and kushiage, if you want it all in the same place, Doutobori(道頓堀) has it all for food.

For site seeing and such, Kyoto is pretty close by so you should go there, I mean the oldest city and former capital of Japan has many things to see, albeit it'll be full of foreigners that may ruin the atmosphere.

Hello! :D I'll definitely plan a day near doutobori if that is the case then, half the reason why I'm there is because I miss the food there! I vaguely know that Osaka is famous for its food, but don't know what they're famous for outside of takoyaki, but I'm willing to try out new things as well, I'll put kushiage on the list of things to try :D

I didn't realise Kyoto is that close to Osaka o.O (just did a quick Google just now), the famous sightseeing for Kyoto is that there is a Gold plated palace I think? (or is that another place?), any other famous historical places for Kyoto you would recommend as well?

Basically the entire city of Kyoto is full of site seeing places, there are a lot of guides of them on Youtube and such, if Tokyo was New york, Kyoto would be London and Osaka is.... well kinda like New Jersey, its a town made by merchants and the people are very rowdy and business savvy, at least the stereotype is, if you've been to Tokyo the place will be a different experience. And yes it's very close to Kyoto, there's a mountain called Ikoma that I climbed once, from the top you can see Osaka on one side, Kyoto on the other.

Last edited:
Basically the entire city of Kyoto is full of site seeing places, there are a lot of guides of them on Youtube and such, if Tokyo was New york, Kyoto would be London and Osaka is.... well kinda like New Jersey, its a town made by merchants and the people are very rowdy and business savvy, at least the stereotype is, if you've been to Tokyo the place will be a different experience. And yes it's very close to Kyoto, there's a mountain called Ikoma that I climbed once, from the top you can see Osaka on one side, Kyoto on the other.

Aright, I'll do some digging around and see what I can find on Youtube :D I'm not sure whether I want to climb a mountain but I'll also put it on the list of things to do if I have time :D Thanks for the suggestions~

Btw this being the anime-sharing site, the Akihara equivalent of Osaka is in walking distance from Doutobori called the Niponbashi DenDen town, its only one strip but it has all the otaku goods there, even has a Turkish food joint just like akihabara.

Btw this being the anime-sharing site, the Akihara equivalent of Osaka is in walking distance from Doutobori called the Niponbashi DenDen town, its only one strip but it has all the otaku goods there, even has a Turkish food joint just like akihabara.

Oh, that's definitely a place I need to visit :D I need to find as much Seiba goods as I can gather :P

Fellow residences of ASF, I know there are many of you who are experienced and lived in Japan extensively previously, or are native Japanese who lurks around the forum, so I wonder whether or not I could get a few suggestions from you guys to help me plan my trip to Japan. I've been to Tokyo for the past 2 trip to Japan recently, wanting to explore more of Japan so I decided this time I want to go to Osaka region instead. However never been to Osaka region before, I want to see what are people's suggestions on things to try such as local food, nearly town/cities to visit. At the moment I'm thinking of staying there for a week or so, and already have Himeji Castle as one of the place to visit. Since Kobe and Matsusaka is nearby ish (within 2 hours of travel I think?) which city is more famous for its beef? I'm a big beef fan and want to try some really nice wagyuu beef. I would like to leave a day to do some anime related hunting if there is something similar to that of Akihabara near Osaka that would be great as well. I'm opened to suggestions and I hope you guys can give me ideas on what I could do for my time there! :D

One week visit and stay in the Osaka region. Good travel and experiences to you Arturia.
Suggestions? Well, if you will visit to Osaka city, it means you vist to the Kinki region. There may be three major regions/ cities in the Middle of the Kinki region. That is, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara. They are the names of prefectures, and those of capital city of each prefecture. They are nearly adjacent cities. The distance among these three cities is one hour by train. So if you visit to Osaka, you may easily visit to both Kyoto and Nara. Kyoto and Nara are both old cities and regions. There are many historically important places, bulidings, and memorials. in both Kyoto and Nara. (Osaka has historically important places and buildings as well).

----------

The most old city is Nara (奈良). Nara was the capital of Japan in around 8th century. The political major places in those days were in Nara bonchi (Nara basin 奈良盆地). The court of Royal Prince Shotoku (聖徳太子) was located in the Eastern area in the Nara basin. Alias name of Nara is Yamato (大和). Yamato signifies the nation name of the old Japan. "Yamato no Kuni" (Country of Yamato) = old japan. Yamato-damashii (大和魂 Yamato spirit) means "Japanese spirit".

There are many and various historical places, remains, old buildings, etc. in the Nara basin. Nara city is located at the North-west area in the Nara basin. (10,000 years ago, Nara basin was large lake. At that time, Kyoto basin was also large lake with Biwako lake. Nara, Kyoto, and Biwako formed the big lake(s) in those days).

Famous places and facilities etc. in Nara city, for sight-seeing.
+] Todaiji temple (東大寺) : they say this temple is the oldest wood-built building. There is the bronze Great Buddha in this temple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōdai-ji
+] other places and buildings etc. in Nara city, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nara,_Nara

----------

The old and long-historical city is Kyoto (京都). Since 9th century, Kyoto was the capital of Japan (794 to 1869 CE.). Kyoto was the capital city for about 1,100 years.

Therefore, there are many historical places and buildings in Kyoto for sight-seeing.
Kyoto is a city of traditional cultures. It is the city of students (there are various universities).
Famous places and buildings:
+] Kyoto Gosho (京都御所) Royal Court
+] Kiyomizu-dera temple (清水寺)
+] Kinkakuji (金閣寺)
+] Ginkakuji (銀閣寺)
+] Nijou-jou castle (二条城)
+] Nanzenji temple (南禅寺)
+] Heian jingu shrine(平安神宮)
+] Kamigamo jinja shrine (上賀茂神社)
+]Gion (祇園)
+] Kyoto University (京都大学)
+] Shijo Kawaramachi (四条河原町)
etc. refer to travel guide for Kyoto

Near Kyoto: Uji (宇治), Fushimi (伏見), Fushimi Inari (伏見稲荷) etc.

----------

Osaka City is located in the Osaka plane. It was sea, seashores, and field with trees and grass before 16th century. There were no big town/ city in Osaka till Toyotomi Hideyoshi established City of Naniwa and Osaka castle. But Naniwa (old name of Osaka) was cultivated region since some thousands years ago.
Hideyoshi founded the city of merchants and business center of commercials and trading of Japan.

Famous places,facilities, buildings etc. for sight-seeing:
(Refer to : https://retrip.jp/articles/1849/ there are photos of each place)
+] Osaka-jo castle (大阪城), Osala-jo koen (大阪城公園) [1st entry in the above site page]
+] Sumiyosi Taisha shrine (住吉大社) [13th]
+] Osaka Tenmagu shrine (大阪天満宮) [16th]
+] Shitenno-ji temple (四天王寺)
these are historical places and buildings.

+] Doton-bori (道頓堀) [2nd] for foods and cuisine, There is old temple here. Mizukake Fudo (水掛不動) stone statue is here.
+] Tsutenkaku tower (通天閣) [8th]
+] Kuromon Ichiba market (黒門市場) [9th]
+] Nakanoshima island/park (中之島) [15th] Park and Library

+] USJ (Universal Studio Japan) [4th]
+] America Village (アメリカ村) [3rd]
+] Kaiyu-kan aquarium (海遊館) [5th]
+] Tennoji dobutsuen zoo (天王寺動物園) [22nd]

and for subcultural materials:
+] Nihonbashi (日本橋) subcultural area/streets in Osaka

Central towns of Osaka are roughly divided into two regions.
Kita (北, the North) and Minami (南, the South)
Kita is Umeda (where JR Osaka station is) and near area.
Minami is Nanba (where Dotonbori and Nihonbashi are) and near area.

Dotonbori, Nihonbashi, Kuromon-ichiba, Tsutenkaku, Tennoji, Abeno are located in the South.
Umeda, Nakanoshima are located in the North.

In Osaka, there are two kinds of inner city railways, JR Kanjou-sen (JR環状線, JR Circular raiway) and Osaka city subways (大阪市営地下鉄). Using city subways is convenient to go to plaeces inside Osaka city.

Dotonbori (the town of gourmet) is located near the Namba station of Osaka subway. Walking from Namba station toward north (a bit east), then Dotonbori.
From Dotonbori toward south, then Nihonbashi and Kuromon-ichiba.
Subcaltural center Nihonbashi is the area between Nihonbashi (日本橋) station and Ebisucho (恵美須町) station of Osaka subway (Sakai-suji line).
Nihonbashi area (now, Akihaba-like town in Osaka) was once called "Den-den town". Den-den town means roughly "electric-electric town" because there were many shops selling and dealing with electrical goods/ machines in this area. Now, it is Akihabara-like area, where many shops dealing subcultural goods and services. However, it is still center of electric goods shops. (In Nihonbashi area, there were shops which were seling electric machines for home usage in 30 or 40 years ago. In 1990's to 2000's the shops were dealing audio, video, computer related equipment and their parts, and software of them. In 2010's, many shops are dealing anime goods, games, music, figures, etc. thus changed subcultural town).

(see: http://seyana.net/tiiki/375.html as to オタロード Ota-road)
(see: http://www.akibakei.info/plist_nipponbashi.php click to see: 日本橋北西側)

Near Osaka:
+] Daisen Kofun (Nintoku Tennou-ryou, the Tomb of Emperor Nintoku), in Sakai city
One of the largest tombs in the world. The overall length of tomb is about 840 meters, and the length of main mound is about 486 meters.( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisen_Kofun )

-----

Kobe-niku and Matsusaka-niku are a kind of brand-name.
You do not necessarily need to go to Kobe or Marsusaka to taste these meats.
There are restaurants in Dotonbori, where you may eat these beef.
On map of Dotonbori, there is Matsusaka-niku yakiniku (grilled Matsusaka beef) restaurant.

_ mrd

Reactions: KingArturia
One week visit and stay in the Osaka region. Good travel and experiences to you Arturia.
Suggestions? Well, if you will visit to Osaka city, it means you vist to the Kinki region. There may be three major regions/ cities in the Middle of the Kinki region. That is, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara. They are the names of prefectures, and those of capital city of each prefecture. They are nearly adjacent cities. The distance among these three cities is one hour by train. So if you visit to Osaka, you may easily visit to both Kyoto and Nara. Kyoto and Nara are both old cities and regions. There are many historically important places, bulidings, and memorials. in both Kyoto and Nara. (Osaka has historically important places and buildings as well).

----------

The most old city is Nara (奈良). Nara was the capital of Japan in around 8th century. The political major places in those days were in Nara bonchi (Nara basin 奈良盆地). The court of Royal Prince Shotoku (聖徳太子) was located in the Eastern area in the Nara basin. Alias name of Nara is Yamato (大和). Yamato signifies the nation name of the old Japan. "Yamato no Kuni" (Country of Yamato) = old japan. Yamato-damashii (大和魂 Yamato spirit) means "Japanese spirit".

There are many and various historical places, remains, old buildings, etc. in the Nara basin. Nara city is located at the North-west area in the Nara basin. (10,000 years ago, Nara basin was large lake. At that time, Kyoto basin was also large lake with Biwako lake. Nara, Kyoto, and Biwako formed the big lake(s) in those days).

Famous places and facilities etc. in Nara city, for sight-seeing.
+] Todaiji temple (東大寺) : they say this temple is the oldest wood-built building. There is the bronze Great Buddha in this temple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōdai-ji
+] other places and buildings etc. in Nara city, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nara,_Nara

----------

The old and long-historical city is Kyoto (京都). Since 9th century, Kyoto was the capital of Japan (794 to 1869 CE.). Kyoto was the capital city for about 1,100 years.

Therefore, there are many historical places and buildings in Kyoto for sight-seeing.
Kyoto is a city of traditional cultures. It is the city of students (there are various universities).
Famous places and buildings:
+] Kyoto Gosho (京都御所) Royal Court
+] Kiyomizu-dera temple (清水寺)
+] Kinkakuji (金閣寺)
+] Ginkakuji (銀閣寺)
+] Nijou-jou castle (二条城)
+] Nanzenji temple (南禅寺)
+] Heian jingu shrine(平安神宮)
+] Kamigamo jinja shrine (上賀茂神社)
+]Gion (祇園)
+] Kyoto University (京都大学)
+] Shijo Kawaramachi (四条河原町)
etc. refer to travel guide for Kyoto

Near Kyoto: Uji (宇治), Fushimi (伏見), Fushimi Inari (伏見稲荷) etc.

----------

Osaka City is located in the Osaka plane. It was sea, seashores, and field with trees and grass before 16th century. There were no big town/ city in Osaka till Toyotomi Hideyoshi established City of Naniwa and Osaka castle. But Naniwa (old name of Osaka) was cultivated region since some thousands years ago.
Hideyoshi founded the city of merchants and business center of commercials and trading of Japan.

Famous places,facilities, buildings etc. for sight-seeing:
(Refer to : https://retrip.jp/articles/1849/ there are photos of each place)
+] Osaka-jo castle (大阪城), Osala-jo koen (大阪城公園) [1st entry in the above site page]
+] Sumiyosi Taisha shrine (住吉大社) [13th]
+] Osaka Tenmagu shrine (大阪天満宮) [16th]
+] Shitenno-ji temple (四天王寺)
these are historical places and buildings.

+] Doton-bori (道頓堀) [2nd] for foods and cuisine, There is old temple here. Mizukake Fudo (水掛不動) stone statue is here.
+] Tsutenkaku tower (通天閣) [8th]
+] Kuromon Ichiba market (黒門市場) [9th]
+] Nakanoshima island/park (中之島) [15th] Park and Library

+] USJ (Universal Studio Japan) [4th]
+] America Village (アメリカ村) [3rd]
+] Kaiyu-kan aquarium (海遊館) [5th]
+] Tennoji dobutsuen zoo (天王寺動物園) [22nd]

and for subcultural materials:
+] Nihonbashi (日本橋) subcultural area/streets in Osaka

Central towns of Osaka are roughly divided into two regions.
Kita (北, the North) and Minami (南, the South)
Kita is Umeda (where JR Osaka station is) and near area.
Minami is Nanba (where Dotonbori and Nihonbashi are) and near area.

Dotonbori, Nihonbashi, Kuromon-ichiba, Tsutenkaku, Tennoji, Abeno are located in the South.
Umeda, Nakanoshima are located in the North.

In Osaka, there are two kinds of inner city railways, JR Kanjou-sen (JR環状線, JR Circular raiway) and Osaka city subways (大阪市営地下鉄). Using city subways is convenient to go to plaeces inside Osaka city.

Dotonbori (the town of gourmet) is located near the Namba station of Osaka subway. Walking from Namba station toward north (a bit east), then Dotonbori.
From Dotonbori toward south, then Nihonbashi and Kuromon-ichiba.
Subcaltural center Nihonbashi is the area between Nihonbashi (日本橋) station and Ebisucho (恵美須町) station of Osaka subway (Sakai-suji line).
Nihonbashi area (now, Akihaba-like town in Osaka) was once called "Den-den town". Den-den town means roughly "electric-electric town" because there were many shops selling and dealing with electrical goods/ machines in this area. Now, it is Akihabara-like area, where many shops dealing subcultural goods and services. However, it is still center of electric goods shops. (In Nihonbashi area, there were shops which were seling electric machines for home usage in 30 or 40 years ago. In 1990's to 2000's the shops were dealing audio, video, computer related equipment and their parts, and software of them. In 2010's, many shops are dealing anime goods, games, music, figures, etc. thus changed subcultural town).

(see: http://seyana.net/tiiki/375.html as to オタロード Ota-road)
(see: http://www.akibakei.info/plist_nipponbashi.php click to see: 日本橋北西側)

Near Osaka:
+] Daisen Kofun (Nintoku Tennou-ryou, the Tomb of Emperor Nintoku), in Sakai city
One of the largest tombs in the world. The overall length of tomb is about 840 meters, and the length of main mound is about 486 meters.( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisen_Kofun )

-----

Kobe-niku and Matsusaka-niku are a kind of brand-name.
You do not necessarily need to go to Kobe or Marsusaka to taste these meats.
There are restaurants in Dotonbori, where you may eat these beef.
On map of Dotonbori, there is Matsusaka-niku yakiniku (grilled Matsusaka beef) restaurant.

_ mrd

First of all hello and thank you for taking your time to write out those suggestions and giving me details of places for me, Mildis!

I didn't know Nijou Castle is located in Kyouto, the one I really wanted to visit is Himeji which I heard is near Kobe, I've seen photos of it and the majestic white castle is very entrancing and thus I want to pay there a visit, but I won't pass up an opportunity to sightsee Nijou if it is in Kyoto as well! Fushimi Inari is very famous for the shrine where it have many many torii right? If so that's another place I seen on internet that I want to pay a visit as well, it looks really nice in photos! Kaiyu-kan is definitely on the list as well, I've always wanted to visit Aquarium and I heard the ones in Japan are really good, I will definitely try to spare time for that, I hope they let me take some pictures!

Kuromon Ichiba Market, I heard its scale is on par with Tsukiji Fish Market, but lacking the ability to speak decent Japanese I might struggle in those places, a place I want to visit but not sure how much I can get out of it, what do you think? Zoo is not something I'm that interested in so I'll probably pass on that, unless you have very good recommendation (i.e. something special like a near extinct breed of species is currently residing there). I don't think I want to go to USJ and American village either as I already live over here in England so Western culture isn't too special to me :P

The question regarding the Matsusaka beef and Kobe beef purely stem from a Youtube video on a place in Matsusaka, more specifically this one:

where one of the Youtuber that I'm subscribed to went to eat in Wadakin, apparently it is very famous in Japan and my gosh the beef looks amazing, that's why I ask whether it is that famous to those more knowledgeable to Japanese culture than I am, Kobe is the other one and since they're both famous, I was seeing which one should I try if given the chance. Outside of that, Saifis kindly suggested me to try the local takoyaki and kushiage. One thing I'm dying to want to find is a good bowl of unadon, I wonder whether or not it is the season when I visit (I think I once read somewhere that eel is best during Autumn time?) I also remember watching a program on TV where the presenter was advertising this famous mochi near in kansei region where it was mochi with red bean paste shaped like waves, I think it might be called Akafuku or something similar, it looked really tasty and I wonder whether those are available near Osaka. I also know that each region tend to have their "famous" style of ramen, any flavour you would recommend me trying? Or other food you want to recommend?

Thanks~

King

I have been to only Tokyo, but I do have learned on multiple occassions that Osaka speaks different dialect (Kansai-dialect), so don't be surprised of that. Also, when going to escalator, in Osaka, people stand in opposite side compared to the rest in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

umi131 wrote on Shine's profile.
リクエスト
これのアートCGをお願いします。
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01166080.html/?locale=pt_BR
dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?
a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?
dohuni wrote on UFO's profile.
Hello. Could you reupload the version 2.0 of this game? RJ310786 thanks.
If you don't have a file, can you let me know?