My Japanese Coach

R_P_Gamer

Oct 31, 2010
I've been considering getting a game called "My japanese coach" for the DS to learn the fundamentals of the language as my college won't be offering an intro Japanese course until next year. Does anyone have any experience with the game? is it a good purchase for a beginner? Please let me know!

~R_P_Gamer~

Edit: Just realized i clicked the wrong link when i created this, it should have gone in the Q&A section.

Last edited:
Hmm well I never played it before... but when I look it up on review sites like I IGN I got this...
My Japanese Coash is designed to help you increase your Chinese comprehension, vocabulary writing, and conversation skills-all while playing games and having fun. You'll be surprised by how quickly you'll learn and how much you retain just after 10 to 15 minutes a day, and the sky's the limit with around 10,000 vocabulary words, 1,500 phrases and 1000 lessons contained in the program.
However it go a 5.5 to their stats... Japanese is pretty hard to I'd stick to a good old fashion way like a book or classes xD It looks like a simplistic game from the screenshots so you can only learn so much... but if you wanna learn Japanese go for it. xD I'd say it's decent though. You could also use the threads here to help you know xD

Hmm Q&A or Game talk? o.o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Japanese_Coach said:
According to Ubisoft, My Japanese Coach (MJC) will develop a player's Japanese knowledge by lessons which teach the player the correct ways to pronounce words in Japanese. Players can compare their pronunciation to that of native speakers using the Nintendo DS's microphone, as well as using the touch screen and stylus to allow players to trace and correctly practice writing Japanese characters.
Sounds a bit like Pimsleur? I honestly have no idea what the game is like, but it may be good for learning the basics. Screenshots make me think of the game that it's like a visualised Japanese textbook to make it look more interesting. It seems to have some sort of puzzles too, and admittedly many Japanese teachers would have some mini-games for their students to help them memorising certain parts.

However, I have yet to try it myself, and am not sure of how reliable it can be. As how self-learning from textbooks is, you may need people you can ask things to avoid confusion. I'd say that written explanations have limited reliability. Also, while this may be good for basics, I don't think it's the same for advanced Japanese. Probably it only aims to teach people basic things like daily conversations, mannerisms at certain places, etc (probably, just probably, for I have no idea).

Conclusion - if I were you, I would try it, but might not buy it.

btw, the thread's good to be here.

Reactions: Cocona
Basics is exactly what i'm going for, eventually i will be taking Japanese as a class so i just wanted to get something of a head start.

In the end to me even with video learning and all that tech, having a sensei is still the best, it you really want to get ahead though. memorise the hiragana and katakana tables. That will make self studying when you enrol much easier.

try it out is ok.
but based on personal experience, don't ever try to learn from this game if you don't have the basic,
(by basic i means the proper course),,

you will get easily confused if try to play/learn without basic,
but it is a good game tool to exercise if you already take the proper course,
especially the kanji section (though inside its only cover about a thousand of toyoo kanji),,

[-_-]

Topic moved to General Discussion
Reasons: Japanese Chat Forum should be carried out in Japanese.

I see this thread is almost a year old, but I just want to point out I tried to learn a bit on my own before taking classes in college as well. I used this little package (a book and 2 CD's) by some brand called Teach Yourself. I learned enough from it that my first semester studying in school was literally effortless. I recommend it. Should be able to find it in any regular book store.

Official site: www.teachyourself.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.

How to Start a NEMT Business in Idaho?

Discover the essential steps and regulations for launching a Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) business in Idaho, from licensing to operational setup, ensuring compliance and success in the healthcare transportation industry.

Read More: https://medium.com/@nemtclouddispatchsoftware/how-to-start-a-nemt-business-in-idaho-45cd46c150ee
mozzamezo wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please re upload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01177568.html/?locale=en_US

Thanks in Advance
coolguy12346789 wrote on Shine's profile.
Koskas wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, can you update this game? New version fix the character skin chage bug. This bug will cause the game can't interactive with anything.