Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Let's talk about torrent safety

Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 868 Posts
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 Winner

Re: Let's talk about torrent safety

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
    thank you @Ignis; that's a useful writing you put. so in your opinion, what are some good VPN services? and have you ever received a warning?
    You're welcome, the pleasure's mine.

My experience with third-party VPN providers is limited, to be honest. TorrentFreak does annual VPN reviews, see here for last year's review: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

Among these, Private Internet Access is perhaps the most popular (and it's a solid service), though those averse to using a US-based VPN may want something based in another country. Last I checked, IPredator was good; they had a solid setup and understood security well. It was also founded by one of the Pirate Bay guys. IVPN is a member of the EFF, so when it comes to such issues as privacy, you can be assured they're on the 'right' side. Finally, I've also heard good things about Mullvad. A friend's been a happy user for a while.

Additionally, there are some services best avoided, such as HideMyAss ( https://invisibler.com/lulzsec-and-hidemyass/ ), but that's the only name I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Bottom line, it depends on what you need. Some people use VPN services to circumvent geoblocking imposed by the likes of Netflix and Hulu. Those people only need to care about masking their public-facing IP addresses. Some people use them to secure their connections from anti-piracy threat letters. Those people need to care about masking their IP addresses, securing (i.e. encrypting) their connections, and using VPN providers that can be trusted (I won't say "that won't log"; you have no way to verify). Some people use them to defeat government spying. Those people need to care about all the aforementioned plus choosing providers not located in countries allied with their own in surveillance matters (see: "Five Eyes").

And so on, and so forth.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

First question is, does your country care? If no, it doesn't matter. Here in America, we can get an unlimited number, and it never means shit. Nobody has been sued for ages.

However, I remember reading that France and some other places will eventually ban your connection if you get too many complaints.

Let's say you're in a country where it matters, and have an ISP that will potentially ban you.

Most takedowns are for major studio movies, music, and AAA video games. Don't torrent those on a public tracker, and your odds of getting a DMCA strike are virtually nill.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

This is safety when you have virtual machine (VirtualBox etc.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information