Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Let's talk about torrent safety

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 948 Posts
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Re: Let's talk about torrent safety

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
    thank you @Ignis; that's a useful writing you put. so in your opinion, what are some good VPN services? and have you ever received a warning?
    You're welcome, the pleasure's mine.

My experience with third-party VPN providers is limited, to be honest. TorrentFreak does annual VPN reviews, see here for last year's review: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

Among these, Private Internet Access is perhaps the most popular (and it's a solid service), though those averse to using a US-based VPN may want something based in another country. Last I checked, IPredator was good; they had a solid setup and understood security well. It was also founded by one of the Pirate Bay guys. IVPN is a member of the EFF, so when it comes to such issues as privacy, you can be assured they're on the 'right' side. Finally, I've also heard good things about Mullvad. A friend's been a happy user for a while.

Additionally, there are some services best avoided, such as HideMyAss ( https://invisibler.com/lulzsec-and-hidemyass/ ), but that's the only name I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Bottom line, it depends on what you need. Some people use VPN services to circumvent geoblocking imposed by the likes of Netflix and Hulu. Those people only need to care about masking their public-facing IP addresses. Some people use them to secure their connections from anti-piracy threat letters. Those people need to care about masking their IP addresses, securing (i.e. encrypting) their connections, and using VPN providers that can be trusted (I won't say "that won't log"; you have no way to verify). Some people use them to defeat government spying. Those people need to care about all the aforementioned plus choosing providers not located in countries allied with their own in surveillance matters (see: "Five Eyes").

And so on, and so forth.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

First question is, does your country care? If no, it doesn't matter. Here in America, we can get an unlimited number, and it never means shit. Nobody has been sued for ages.

However, I remember reading that France and some other places will eventually ban your connection if you get too many complaints.

Let's say you're in a country where it matters, and have an ISP that will potentially ban you.

Most takedowns are for major studio movies, music, and AAA video games. Don't torrent those on a public tracker, and your odds of getting a DMCA strike are virtually nill.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AzureCrystal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

This is safety when you have virtual machine (VirtualBox etc.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hbjay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

When you download a torrent, I'm pretty sure your IP adress is public for everyone who have the torrent loaded too, so everyone can see it basically, so, obviously you can be easily traced too. Even so, it was pretty much safe 10 years ago :/... Nowadays though, using a VPN is almost mandatory if you download a very popular torrent.

Then, as you probably figured out, I'm pretty sure downloading anime related stuff especially in here is not risky at all, but again not a long time ago japanese governement wanted to close nyaatorrent. So I'm guessing it might be monitored as well to some extent.

What I like to do to feel safer regarding that subject is to keep an eye to the most popular warez/download websites in my country, I either avoid using them or I try to be super carefull when I do. (Alexa can give you the top 500 most visited websites in your country for example, otherwise, google...)
      Spoiler: ALEXA 

If you need a VPN, PIA (Private Internet Access) seems pretty legit to me. It's 40USD a year only, might be more expensive than what you would expect but it's worth it, if you ask me.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran

Well. I use mostly Nyaa or RuTracker for torrents. For years now basically. Or other Russian Torrent sites. Never had any problems.
    But I doubt that anybody cares about such Torrents in my country since I am living in Europe. Torrent sites like RuTracker are not even in English. Also it needs a registration.
    I try to avoid public torrent sites like Kickass, Piratebay though.

P.S. That must not mean that its safe but as I said, I downloaded over many years, probably several Terabytes and no problems at all.
    I usually download movies, hentais or underground music. I never really download US Charts or whatever.
    However, many of the things I download I also buy or I delete them at least after I have used them.

Wanted to get a VPN at some point. No idea which. Any experiences with good prices and good value?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 445 Posts
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

I'm also using torrents for years now (without VPN) and I never had any problems.

First thing you should know about is the law in your country. In my country, Austria, for example it was not illegal to download or stream a file, regardless of the source, since it was allowed to make private copies. So you never had any problems if you didn't upload the torrent. But a year ago (or maybe even longer) the ISP in Austria even blocked the access to piratebay, isohunt and a few other torrent sites as well as some streaming sites (because the film and music industry wasn't happy at all with the law). And with that the law was changed as well - what's new? It's illegal to download from obiviously illegal sources, that's all. But yeah, overall nothing changed, since I never heard that someone got to court because of downloading.

The next would be that it's not easy for the prosecutor to get your adress, name and so on. Also depending on the law it's not allowed for the ISP to give out information without judicial order - and even if your ISP should give out the information illegal, in most cases you will be acquitted, because evidence which you obtained illegally is not considered in court. Illegally obtained evidence only is considered in really "big" crimes, like murder, but not if it's about some trifle.
    Ignore This Signature
    "Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the thing you can't hear, and not bothering."

Thanks
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

i used torrent often and can say that is safe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information