Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Let's talk about torrent safety

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Let's talk about torrent safety

So guys, listen. We will start the class right now.

Joke aside. Some days ago I downloaded a game and three addons (Custom Maid 3D 2 and the two + packs as well as the visual pack to be exact) as a torrent from this side. Because I don't know sh** about stuff like this I didn't use anything more than utorrent. That means no vpn and stuff like that because I don't even know what that is. The problem now is: I'm getting more and more paranoid by the day because of this.

Is anyone here who is familiar with downloads and torrents? What exactly are my chances that - some day from now - I will get a nice little letter in my mail which will screw me over royaly because I got...what's the term? Caught. Yea. That one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

El Psy Kongroo

Re: Let's talk about torrent safety

Hmm, this is an interesting topic. I'm also interested in others experience with it. I used torrents for years now and I never had any problems, and I've never even heard of someone getting fined or worse because of it. Maybe I just didn't pay attention to it or they don't really care in my country... VPN is in short protecting your activity from your ISP provider, but I also never used it. And I don't think that using something for free is really going to help you.

I Am Admin, Hear Me Roar! corocoro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,027 Times in 20,292 Posts
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdriveThree FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points

You should always use a VPN to stay safe when torrenting. Especially if you're from a country known for having an active DMCA shakedown industry.
    Of course, the danger is a lot higher when you download Western games, movies, and music since the evil letters mostly originate from U.S. companies.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

As I said: Since I usually never use torrents I didn't know how important VPN is. But that's the toll when you are to lazy to get your facts straight.

I also don't know anyone who got fined using torrents bzw fear knows no limits. Especially when it is too late. It would be interesting to know if germany has an active DMCA shakedown industry. Especially when it comes to objects that are not sold inside the countries borders. Like with CM3D2. Finding information about that is not really easy if you ask me. Either that or I'm not good at finding such information on the internet.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Well me and my brother have torrented for like 5-6~ years (many many movies, games, anime and a lot music) and nothing ever happened to us and we are still torrenting (maybe because In Sweden our ISP's dosen't need to hand out information about their customers so i heard) You don't need to be so paranoid :p. But if you want to be on the safe side don't use a free VPN and pay for one
    Ignore This Signature

* made by Nanashi1

Spoiler: Old sig by zad38 

El Psy Kongroo

I think that chances of getting fined are slim, as Corocoro stated it depends more on what kind of stuff you're downloading/seeding but no one really knows what you shouldn't ...of course its always better to be safe. But as I said, I wouldn't really trust in free services.

I Am Admin, Hear Me Roar! corocoro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,027 Times in 20,292 Posts
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdriveThree FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Daedae View Post
    It would be interesting to know if germany has an active DMCA shakedown industry.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedae View Post
    Especially when it comes to objects that are not sold inside the countries borders.
    No. Eroge pretty much never suffer from shakedowns outside Japan.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

i once got a warning letter from EA for downloading a game i never even finish downloading it largely depends on what your downloading. some companies just find it too much of a bother to investigate
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 936 Posts
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
    some companies just find it too much of a bother to investigate
    Some don't even investigate; they outsource to other companies the monitoring of torrent traffic and the checking of whether a piece of transfer they suspect actually represents something the media companies own the copyrights to. That's arguably a bigger problem. You can find plenty of stories on sites like TorrentFreak about DMCA notices targetting home users downloading things that are not what they're accused of downloading. A friend of mine (living in the US) once got sent a notice for downloading some latest Hollywood blockbuster when he was actually downloading some anime.

The quality of the outfits that do such monitoring varies greatly. There are the big names, like MarkMonitor and Remove Your Media, and then there are the fly-by-night operations run by people who barely know coding, barely know English, barely know anything about copyright (much less copyright laws), and worst, barely care about barely knowing anything. They're a dime a dozen, staffed by such people as college students or otherwise people with unverifiable backgrounds, who paid a web designer a couple hundred bucks to make a decent site and sell their 'services' to media companies. And media companies do use them as they're cheap.

These amateurs then fire notices to various sites or ISPs like a kitten who considers the hand-crank of a nearby Gatling gun as her toy. They don't care about getting things wrong often or even the majority of the time. The media companies that hire them hardly care, either. They do a lot of damage since many hosts have a zero-tolerance policy of taking down stuff without checking, and in the case of ISPs, there are policies such as "six strikes" (US) or "three strikes" (France, Australia) whereby an ISP will either disconnect or penalise you after you've received a certain amount of "strikes".

Depending on the jurisdiction, you may be able to ignore the warning letters (as the onus will then be on the DMCA notice filer to take you to court), or you may be able to contest it. But be careful with the latter. In the US, for example, filing what's called a "counternotice" necessarily requires you to agree to provide your name, address and other details (something the DMCA notice filer doesn't know yet, mind you), as well as being taken to court.

TL;DR: Get a VPN. If you can't afford one, make use of such tools as BTGuard and troll the internet for more guides on how to keep yourself safe. And know the law of your land. Throw away that thought which says only lawyers have to be familiar with laws.

/lecture, but you said "class", so...
    Infamous likes this.

Rules and Guidelines: they're useful!
    I don't take reupload requests. For ASL releases, please try XDCC.
    Bugs? Feedback? Can't see hidden content? Site Support, please.
    Check out our monthly signature contest, too.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

thank you @Ignis; that's a useful writing you put. so in your opinion, what are some good VPN services? and have you ever received a warning?
    Ignore This Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information