I'm Truly Torn!

Kyubikokage

Elite Member
Feb 9, 2014
Alright, this is going to be an extremely serious post. So no joking around, okay? Hm, how should I start this though... Alright, well, uh... First, I guess I should explain what this is all about. I'm 15 years old, 16 in May. As you probably already have realized, I'm a sophomore in high school, which also means I've began to look at colleges. When I was a little girl, my Nana and I would watch a show called NCIS together. I'd visit her and we'd watch the marathons on USA Network for the entire day. Even though it's only a TV show, one of the characters, the forensic scientist named Abby, inspired me to pursue the same career. I've always loved science, so this path made much sense to me. For years and years I've said that that is what I'll be, that's what I want to do. But, here's the thing: I love to draw. I love anime and manga, I eat, sleep and breathe it. So I've come to the crossroads. I must choose the path I want to take. Science or art. I'm truly stuck, and honestly a little scared. Some of you I have built relationships with, but since I have yet to reveal myself, I guess I shouldn't even be asking for anyone's help. So I guess I should just come out and say who I am:

My name is Amanda. I have been apart of this community for quite a while. I became very good friends with Shiki and Neko. Neko and I actually planned on creating a Virtual Novel together. I am Exaelia.

If I were you, I would study science in order to get a job/career and keep drawing in your free time. There's no reason you can't do both. But it's very hard to make money from being an artist.

If I were you, I would study science in order to get a job/career and keep drawing in your free time. There's no reason you can't do both. But it's very hard to make money from being an artist.

But... I'm afraid that, in a few years, I may change my mind! What will happen then?

I don't know about how America works...but how things goes on my end is, with Science, you can take pretty much anything, whereas on Art route you are basically limiting your choices.

Nothing is set in stone. Once you get to college you'll meet a lot of people who either haven't declared a major or keep changing their major. You can never have too many interests and hobbies.

logically you should go with science. there's more job opportunities, and can hold very financially good decisions. however, if you don't pick a career choice you love, you won't be happy with your job. at most you'll be content. so just find out which one is your true passion and go from there

Hmm science is probably the better route for the future (says the art major ;p) Ahh... you could probably take art as a minor if your uni allows?

Well, since you asked me to not joke, I'll take off my cynical mask and tell you the cold hard truth.

Science, as everyone states, is probably the only route available. Nowadays, anything "non-science" is really considered a minor, and does not require anything too advanced, like a Master's degree.

In addition, science in itself is very ambiguous. What kind of science? Chemistry? Physics? Biology? Ecology? Physiology?
Obviously some of them can be grouped together to form what we often refer to as "a major", but in truth, they're all "science". (Heck, even history is called "Social SCIENCE" sometimes)

Science, in short, is a study. That's why it's a #1 choice in colleges--what else would you do in college? Party? (Well, that IS an option...)

Art, on the other hand, is very fragile. Not only will you be unable to put food on your tables with it, it's actually a lot more stressful than you think. My friend is an art major, and she hates all the assignments and projects she has to complete--when she really wanted to keep it as her hobby, just like you.

Don't think Art School = better drawing skills. That's the biggest mistake anyone makes. As I've learned the hard way, anime-style drawing is a NATURAL TALENT, not an acquired one. Sure, there are some exceptions to that rule, but I would simply laugh at you for being in denial if you wanted to argue "No, I'm one of THEM"

Lastly, let me mention that despite how attracted to anime you may be, you'll graduate from it eventually. I still remember myself back when I was still a junior in high school where anime was everything to me. I would be the type of person to directly say "Fuck you" to a teacher if she bothered me in class watching anime (although that never happened, because I could shut them up with my grades). Now, I'm a 3rd year in college working on my first Bachelor's (and Master's at the same time), and only rarely do I even watch anime, or visual novels despite enjoying them to a greater extent. My mind is always set on how I'm going to pay my loans, how I need another part-time job, and of course, about the 4-5 core course materials that I need to learn all at the same time.

Hi Amanda, my name is Jason. I'm a P1 Student Pharmacist in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and I'm JUST NOW in the process of transitioning from a spoiled brat into a responsible adult at age 20. I've listed my opinion, and it's completely up to you to honor it or not. Although it is my hope that you do since you asked for it in the first place.

But don't rush life. You're only 15 at the moment, and that's still very young. For now, just think about what kind of relationships you want to have with the people around you. Build on what kind of beliefs or ideals you want to keep, and which ones to refute with all your strength. After you did both of those, focus on your SATs. It is after your SATs that you should really think about your future (since you'll have your score, relationships, and beliefs at this point), and this will determine your destiny for the rest of your life.

I think you are just making it hard for yourself in asking yourself this question. Life isn't as simple as choosing one thing over another and then you're set. Choices lead to more limited options in a closed box you made for yourself. Also formal education isn't everything (or for everyone for that matter) I'll have you know. The degrees help though.

And while it's really rude to answer a question with another question, I think it would be appropriate to redirect your efforts to help you address the situation yourself. Because even after everything everyone's written here, it's still your call to make. Never be afraid to make mistakes, that's where you keep learning.

So the question is, where do you see yourself in a decade? What would you be doing by then? Will you still find anime/manga/games as interesting as you find them now? Have you discussed this with the people close to you?

Hello Amanda,

As someone that isn't very far in life either, I cannot give you words of wisdom, but I'll just give my input on this.

First and foremost I think what Joyjason said is important. Ask yourself if you want to bring your art to a professional level or just keep it as a hobby. I'd say there's a pretty stark difference between the two. Logically, as the general consensus here seems to be, science as a job will get you further. Of course, again as Joyjason said, "Science" is an enormous umbrella term for the many fields open out there - Medicine, Engineering, Computer Science, Material Science and Defence Science to name a few, which is a good thing.

I'm not sure how the system works in the US but where I am, at 15, we're still in middle school (or Secondary school as we call it) and we still cover a general range of subjects including Literature, Science and sometimes Art/Music/Other Languages. We do so until we're 18 when we sit for the A-levels and only start zooming into what we really want to study in University. If your system is anything like ours, there's still time before you have to make the choice. I suggest to start by getting to know people who work in both Art and Science and maybe watch them work, and search for opportunities that expose you to both fields such as mini-internships or something so you can get a taste of what it is like to work in that particular field. For example, I currently have a research project on malware mentored by someone who works in the Computer Science field.

Ultimately, of course, the choice is yours to make and you should not let anyone pressure you into pick one or the other. If you really have to make a decision soon, sit down and look at what you have done thus far in the respective subjects. Think about whether you want to live your life doing that for the rest of your life, think about whether or not it is a sustainable career path, think about whether you will enjoy and are willing to go through grueling times working in that field.

Also, feel free to ask whenever you encounter troubles, I don't think the community is not going to help you just because we do not know who you are in real life. Rather, that would take away the meaning of an "online community".

Just as a final (unimportant) note, Comic Sans is not the font to use when trying to set a serious tone in your message/writing. It gives the reader (at first glance) the entirely wrong impression.

Good luck!

Reactions: Joyjason
I concur with what many have said;

Science is the real money-bringer, you can learn to draw art on your free time. Art doesn't rake in the dough like a science degree does, so your living standard would probably be higher as a result.

just my .02.

There's been some very good advice given.

One thing I might add, is about when you choose what to do in life.

Some people know exactly what they want to be from a young age, and actively work toward that goal. That's great!

But most people aren't really sure what they want to be, right away. You're in high school. There are people in college who still aren't sure what they want. There are people with jobs who still aren't sure what they want. And that's okay, too.

There are stories about people in their 50's who suddenly discovered their life's passion, and changed careers to pursue them. Again, it worked for them.

People eventually figure out what they want, some just take longer than others. What counts is their eventual happiness.

The best advice I can give, is don't stress out over it. You have an entire life ahead of you. Study what is most practical for now, but spend time on your other interests as well. Having one does not keep you from having the other. In time, whether it's tomorrow, or years from now, or anywhen in between, you will find and focus on what you truly want.

In the meantime, enjoy life, enjoy your interests, and see where the road takes you.

Hope this helps! :hi:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks
Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
porm wrote on Shine's profile.
Hey Shine, can you please upload Version #74 for this? It's the latest update.

https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/いーめいどぷらす-サバイバルゲーム-#71.1224098/