Human evolution

Ruyzan

bunny maid :3
Elite Member
Sep 20, 2011
Let's forget about 2012 or oblivion in this thread.

Based on the theory of evolution, all living beings can evolve, becoming more favorable for survival in certain ways. Therefore, it is possible that the human race evolve?
In your opinion, how would be such evolution?
Discuss.

I don't believe human evolved from monkey, thou I can accept that we fall within primate group.
The evolution theory that we changed from monkey to today's human, is baseless.
The only thing that human evolved was how we look. We changes based on our location.

People from the north mostly are big, fair skin and have narrow nose, so that they can tolerate the climate in the north, which is cold. They body structure are design to reduce the lost of body heat. Think about it, which color is a good heat conductor, dark or light? Of course it's dark.

People in hot climate, like Africa and the Australian native(plus the Polynesian) mostly have smaller body compared to the northern people. They have darker skin and wider nose. Dark skin help to deflect some of the heat from the sun. All those characteristic are design for hot climate, where these features help release the heat from within the body, so that they don't have temperature buildup in the body(if you know what I'm trying to explain here).

Those in the jungle/rain forest area typically tend to have small body but slightly fairer skin than those at the hot climate.

That's why when we saw people from the cold places, when they come to warmer places, they tend to turn red like lobster, and people from warm place come to colder place doesn't stand cold that much.

And this evolution doesn't happen within a person lifetime, but take many generations to have changes, coz changes to human body happened within the DNA structure which past down to their children.

That how I look at human evolution.

I see evolution not as much as radically changing in our appearance but more as our genes changing to adapt to our ways of life.
So to me, evolution can be as big as growing horns on your forehead or as small as building immunity to a sickness.

People only tend to look at radical changes as viable course of evolution, but I believe our bodies change everyday. When I was a kid my nose used to bleed a lot. Now I can't even remember the last time it did (not once in 8 years at least). To me this is evolution, no matter how small it is.

Changes to actual body structures will take many generations to happen, if ever. I believe humans only radically evolve when there is a necessity for it in order for this species to survive through what Darwin called "natural selection". This isn't just limited to humans however, it applies to all living creatures.

Humanity is continuing to evolve - fact. The reason that so many have problems with this idea is that they have a misunderstanding of what evolution is and the evolutionary process.

What evolution is: A process by which a species of organism experiences genetic 'drift' (changes in the genetic code or in which parts of the code are active) that eventually results in enough drift that members of the subset have become a different species. The ONLY requirement evolution has is: Can the organism viably reproduce before it dies? If it can, congratulations! You survive. If not, thank you for playing - sorry, there is no consolation prize. Many, many creatures/species are NOT particularly well suited for life - but since they can (so far) pass this one requirement, they continue to exist. Rabbits are a good example - most are not very fast and very few are even remotely intelligent. They are prone to diseases that they die from (unlike say, rats, which just carry said diseases to pass along). They are tasty to most predators and have literally NO way to defend themselves short of 'I can run a bit faster than the other rabbit I am standing beside'. Yet, because they breed continuously and in large quantities they continue to survive.

What evolution isn't:
a) Adaption to specific environment or criteria. Unless you believe that God (or other supreme diety type) is controlling or influencing the process there is no specific adaptation or even adaptive trend (if you DO believe, that's cool too as we definitely tend to find more benefital changes than non). Evolution is quasi-random changes in the genetic code (chemistry) and has no intellect by which to try or plan an adaptation or even know what one is. Changes... happen. Literally anything can be tried. Most fail - usually immediately as they are non-viable (still-born or such) or within several generations. Eventually something survives that is different - which may or may not have any relevance to the environment the creature exists in. It is only through our perceptions and need to find purpose and order to the universe that we 'see' a pattern or reason out an 'advantage' when actually ANY change might work. Instead of say, growing a long neck to reach the tastely leaves in tree-tops (like the giraffe), a creature might instead develope the ability (or just have the ability to learn) to climb the tree instead (like some goats) and be able to reach the same leaves. This example also demonstrates another aspect - the long neck of the giraffe, while enabling it to reach those leaves, is actually an evolutionary DISadvantage; it makes them much more vulnerable to injury and certain diseases than other adaptations that would have allowed the same benefit.

b) Changes to make a 'better' or 'more competitive' creature. Yes, this CAN happen, but usually it is not the case. Again, there is no plan and the ONLY requirement evolution has is 'Can you viably reproduce before you die' (and even the death part is fairly flexible as the situation of the male praying mantis demonstrates). Often the 'better' branch of a species goes extinct because of totally random, temporary events (floods, fires, volcanoes, disease, drought, famine, etc.) that happens to hit the 'prime' habitat area that they had pushed the 'less competative' branch out of, thereby inadvertantly perserving the 'inferior' version. What might seem like an advantage today can be a huge disadvantage tomorrow. The cheetah is a good example in this case: it has evolved into a 'dead-end' - it is going extinct and not because anything man or the environment has done; it's own genetics and adaptations are causing a rising infant mortality rate and decreasing breeding rate that is not naturally reversable (and probably not scientifically reversable).

So.. back to humans. First off, let's look at some things we KNOW:
a) About 500 years ago, the average height of a human male was only slightly above 5' for most of the world. Around a 1,000 or so years before that, it was in the mid 4' range and around a 1,000 years before that it was around 4'. We know this because of buildings, remains, suits of armor and almost limitless other records. Some have said, "Well, it is because of diet - they didn't eat as well" - but this is incorrect. Many actually ate *better* than their modern contemporaries (especially in those locations with chronic food shortages), plus the rich/rulers of *every* civilization were able to dine on fruits, vegatables and meats (often to unhealthy levels)... yet they were no taller than the peasants/peons. Considering that the average today for most of the world approaches 6', that is a FIFTY PERCENT increase in size for humanity.

b) Both by funarary masks (masks made from a mold of the dead person's face in some cultures), skeletal remains, and artwork (from those periods and places that practiced 'realistic representations') we can also see that the common features for humans have changed as well - facial features tend to be more prominant and defined in modern man than those of the same peoples 1,000 or more years ago. This is a change that can be noted across racial and cultural lines as well.

... there are other changes as well, though most are more subtle. In any other organism, we would have long since declared modern man to be of a different species than ancient man (much less primative man) because of these physiological changes - but (I am guessing) due to our egotistical view of ourselves we continue to believe we are some sort of 'apex of evolution'. We're not.. we are changing and will continue to change. From a scientific standpoint, this is probably a bad thing since we strive so diligently to preserve the life of every human regardless of how diseased, deformed, impaired, or whatever they may be and continue to bring those genes back into the gene pool.

Interesting....
While we at it, lemme throw something to spice thing up, considering it involving human evolution.
What do you think about some claim that human evolution was jump started by some 'outside' intervention?
From civilization that just discovered fire, suddenly few thousand years later, we started built big buildings, which some surpassed today's engineering.

Our evolution has progressed from organical to technological. We are constantly evolving, by making stuff to make our survival easier, while at the same time, giving an illusion that full scale darwinism is not in effect(which is a sack of shit, as the higher ups of the gene pool go for the other higher ups of the other gender's gene pool, thus making 'better' babies, where as the sack of shits of one gender's gene pool breed with the other gender's sack of shit part of the gene pool, making dumber, less likely to survive babies[unable to feed themselves/their families, which is defined as survival nowadays]).

Evolution is a concept, and said concept can be applied to nearly anything that betters something so it has a greater chance of surviving.

I dont believe that we evolved from monkeys. Related sure, evolved from, no. We evolve through random genetic mutations which may or may not make us more fit for survival, although in this society, basically everyone is forced to survive as long as they have the money. The chemicals we intake will probably have some effect or another on us which we may not know of yet. I wonder if what humans strive for are part of our evolution. 1gecko's reply made me think about how we say being taller is better and try to beautify ourselves. Would our psyche have an influence on how we evolve (though i guess since that is considered "better" anyone with that would be more likely to reproduce and thus pass on genes)?

We are evolving every day little by little.
See, physically we've evolved as far as we need to in which to survive so the only change left for us physically is universal skin tone and possibly dropping the apendix (which in itself is mild proof of evolution as its only function was to assist in the processing of solids such as stone through the digestive system, now useless).
Mentally we're still evolving, mental capabilities matched with advanced paths of thinking and scientific discoveries. Putting it blatently education systems are becomeing more advanced, more strict (in australia for instance you are now forced to go through until yr 12 as aposed to 10) and universities are becoming more attractive options for youth. As a result, average intellegence rises little by little, not only slowly increasing capacity to learn but also the capacity to retain information. This gets passed down through genetetics like most other physical attributes however usually only a fraction.
On top of that we have the entire subject of science prevailing slowly over the inferior subject of religion (hold your rage until you read the whole lot). The Reason Religion is deemed inferior is simply because it limits us. Whether there is a god or not the simple concept provides motive and reason to not look for answers to questions that religions claim to answer. Case in point: Genisis claimed to give us the origin of man and as a result the origin of man wasn't sought or looked into for a long time when in actual fact not too long ago darwin's theory of evolution was deemed fact. Religion, being the primary (but not the only) barrier to our next phase of intellectual evolution, is slowly but surely dying out chiefly thanks to darwin's work. Religions, particulary those centered around the catholic, christian and protestant God are slowly losing number and within 2 centuries most if not all religion should be wiped out (heres hoping). With religion out of the way stem cell research and other genetic research can continue unchallenged. Stem cell research is highly shunned as a result of the religious masses but has the capability of restoring lost limbs and fixing paralysed ones, curing most mental illnesses and alot of other amazing feats. Aditionally biologically modifying and cloning the human genome is also shunned/banned virtually everywhere but has incredible capabilities. Case in point, we have the technology to modify a child before birth to make them have better academic and athletic capabilites.
At this point in our evolutionary cycle we are at our peak physically, as mentioned before we no longer need to evolve to fit our environment. However if cirtain sciences prevail some time in the near future we will have the ability to evolve past our environment and be ready for greater frontiers (such as space). Whether naturally evolving through the mind, or artificially evolving... we are still evolving.

Last edited:
Nice explanation. [MENTION=5390]him_dox[/MENTION] , but some of what you said worried me, a little.
I believe that religion and science should be co-exist together.
Another thing about our gene, we should be careful when we tempering with our gene. Too much tempering with it might cause something bad for human race.

We have see what happened to the Coordinators(Gundam Seed), where the birthrate of their kind have drop. I believe this is because the gene no longer able to evolve itself. It's like that old saying: "Give a man a fish and he eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life."

And don't forget the Asgard(Stargate). In pursuing means of extending their lifespans, they began to use cloning technology. Unfortunately for them, the excessive use of cloning process have cause the irreversible genetic degradation, which eventually lead to their extinction.

alex, your confusing science with science fiction.
While the possibility of negative effects is high, they can be countered, if not we wouldn't use these methods widely. If modifying genes stuned birthrates then it simply wouldnt become the norm until that was fixed. And its genetics, it can be modified to work.
and yes religion and science CAN co-exist, but they aren't and likely wont, every scientific explanation that contraditics a religious claim is like another bullet fired at religion as a whole. As i said religion is slowly deminishing as a whole and its the result of a widening acceptance of scientific theories. Once upon a time you could say 'Hey i discovered something that contradicts what you know! Heres the explanation!' and you would be shunned and shot down, nowadays its more like. 'What you know has just been contradicted by respected minds' 'oh, how interesting, ill check it out.'
- Another example of mental/moral evolution, standards getting better.

Last edited:
While the possibility of negative effects is high, they can be countered, if not we wouldn't use these methods widely. If modifying genes stuned birthrates then it simply wouldnt become the norm until that was fixed. And its genetics, it can be modified to work.
Gene modified corn can make pigs and cows infertile. That's a rather big problem for some farmers at the moment, as they're about to lose their livelihood because they can't pay for imported breeding stock. Additionally, they are contractually bound to continue growing the gene modified corn, meaning they can't even start fresh with clean grain.

On the other hand, gene-modified enzymes are already widely used and affect a grand array of food.

The problem with gene manipulation is that we understand too little about the effects caused by it - both short-term and long-term. It's not only as simply as what eating it causes to humans. With GM plants we risk throwing the "ecobalance" out of whack ever more. Imagine something modified to be resistant to parasites. Now, those parasites die - and birds that rely on them do the same. This causes a cascading effect of species dying out or grossly changing their habits, the end of which cannot be seen from our current knowledge-base.

That doesn't mean we should stop researching how to control genes, just that we might want to put off planting/producing/eating GM crops/produce until we understand it better.

and yes religion and science CAN co-exist, but they aren't and likely wont, every scientific explanation that contraditics a religious claim is like another bullet fired at religion as a whole. As i said religion is slowly deminishing as a whole and its the result of a widening acceptance of scientific theories. Once upon a time you could say 'Hey i discovered something that contradicts what you know! Heres the explanation!' and you would be shunned and shot down, nowadays its more like. 'What you know has just been contradicted by respected minds' 'oh, how interesting, ill check it out.'
When talking about religion (and/or politics) you always risk alienating others. This can cause fights, foster ill-feeling, and can even start flame wars. That's why we banned those topics here - it is time you step back from discussing them, as you'll never know who'll read this thread in the future and how their reaction will turn out to be.

It also has to do with generational values. There has been a trend of each generation being more free than the last (in the US at least) so maybe those scientific advancements may be allowed later. Religion also changes (protestant religions were made cuz catholic was being too strict or something) so cant just say it wont coexist with science :/

That doesn't mean we should stop researching how to control genes, just that we might want to put off planting/producing/eating GM crops/produce until we understand it better.
Exactly, hence why i said withing 2 centuries or so. These things take time.
When talking about religion (and/or politics) you always risk alienating others. This can cause fights, foster ill-feeling, and can even start flame wars. That's why we banned those topics here - it is time you step back from discussing them, as you'll never know who'll read this thread in the future and how their reaction will turn out to be.
My bad, figured if i explained myself a little better i wouldnt offend but i guess i got a bit carried away.

My bad as well.:pushups:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。
nanashinanashi wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/111125-overdrive-d2b-vs-deardrops-cross-the-future.1174725/ to katefile or mexashare or rosefile.Thanks
Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.
Groups23 wrote on zhonyk's profile.
Could you upload fantia.jp/posts/2683868 ?