Helping me Taking a Difficult Decision: to Go and Risk in Japan? Studying IB and Colleges

Flamingoat

Jan 30, 2018
I've already posted this on another forum, but I need more opinions and I think anime-sharing community can give me some great ones. I saw there are some people living in Japan, some people are from Asia and some other users are already grown up and they've already had made a lot of experiences. Please help me in taking a decision I'm not able to take.

I'm an EU student, I'm studying an IB in Denmark. I cannot study in my country, I cannot afford it. My family is not that poor, but for some reasons, like my step brother and sister taking a lot of money and doing nothing in the past and stuff like this, they never gave me any occasion. I had a lot of problems with my parents and I went away from home, I couldn't study at home even if I'd want. I stopped High School and so my possibilities go around the International Baccalaureate in English in order to be able to study for the Univesity/College. Denmark is very expensive, but you can study with the help of the government, you'll only need to work stupid and crazy part time shifts if you're not Danish. I'm not happy in Denmark, for several reasons and I feel forced, and I dream and I'm considering to go in Japan. I'm going to spend EUR 1200-1500 to stay three months in Denmark, with those money I could go to Japan (consider this: I had a lot of journeys, I stepped in Denmark as an homeless because I was tired of going around, I took me some time to get away from the streets, but I can live cheap).
In Japan, there is one International Baccalaureate school, UWC ISAK in Nagoya, that gives you full need based scholarship. With that I could study, get to live in a dorm, get to know Japan and learn Japanese as well learn to live in Japan. If you're willing to study, there are scholarship for higher studies too.
There are two problems: 1) IB puts an age limit, usually 19yo in the last year. I'm already 19. 2) The school enrolling system is over now and they're considering for 2020-2021 year. Now, my current Danish IB school stated they only accepted students in the age limit, but, with a very little smooth talking I've got enrolled after school started and with my age being above the usual limit. They told me they make exceptions sometimes, and I saw there is a lot of people over the age limit (30% and more) in all the years. It's more a guideline than a strict rule. So the Japanese IB schools might do the same exceptions. But I believe you need to talk with them in order for them to close an eye on certain things, of course I've already tried by e-mail and no way (I guess that it'd have been the same with my current school if I were to be trying to get enrolled by e-mail/internet instead of going there and talk). Other IB schools in Japan exist, but they are expensive and don't have specific scholarship programs like UWC ISAK.
I feel like going to JP is a risk, and staying in Denmark is a risk as well: never fulfilling my dreams, staying in a country where I feel like shit, deserted and depressed (imo). So, I'd get some crap jobs and work my ass off all life dreaming about Japan, perhaps never going there (since if I my motivation drops, the chances I'm going to get a good life in Denmark and be able to move as an expat in Japan are very slim), that's why I feel staying in Denmark could be bad for me. Going to Japan is a risk too, but I went through a lot of troubles in my life, it shouldn't be the worst.
This is one of those decisions that could easily influence all your future, and it's the first time I cannot decide by myself what's the best to do. All you folks of anime-sharing: What would you recommend me to do?
PS.: Thanks for the attention, please note that I appreciate any kind of help.

Hi [MENTION=159305]Flamingoat[/MENTION];!

Well, sorry for the delayed reply of me, but like you're expecting I was very busy... But I'm now here...

Well, short said: You wanna live/work in Japan, right? Well, what I can you first very very VERY high recommend: that you first the mess at you clean having. Really; 1st. Japan isn't a cheap plaster (you don't have other choice as after an job to find - this is so sure like the fact that the humanity nowadays without the electricy not live could!), 2nd. You should the Japanese language and with included culturaly parts (policy, school-system, and cuture) at least the basics know, because you couldn't await from the people in Japan that they constantly with you (and not from everyone there) via English speak would, because this would be very respectless toward them, that you their language and culture don't knowing. You should be actually with the study about it ongoing whie we're speaking now. - With another words said: You should these two main tasks solve/manage - otherwise it will not work your goal.

For me, it looks like you have already decided what you want to do though.

Dealing with IB and coping with a foreign country (which you don't know the language of) at the same time? Good luck.

I think it's more realistic for you to do the JET program after your studies, than trying to juggle a very difficult academic system and figuring out how things work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha