Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassYour first GroupOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

The Future of Transfers/Downloads?

We know that there has been dramatic issues about downloading in the past several months. File Hosts have changed their policies and service, as well as deleting uploaded content more quickly. Some of these are responses to bills such as SOPA, CISPA, PIPA, etc. Mountain Lion is making it where you can only install software via the App Store. Even internet companies are changing their policies. This may not only affect the USA, but also other countries in the future.

If the internet becomes a much more dangerous place to download from, what do you think would change?
    If you can no longer get things freely on the internet, do you think there would be underground data-trading groups? If your IP never changes, how would that effect the internet, and people downloading? Would some people simply stop using the internet? What would happen to P2P or IRC?

Ignoring the worst-case scenario above, what do you think people would settle with? That is, when will the majority of people be satisfied enough for this to not be an issue?

Lastly, what do you think would be the penalties if/when they find a large number of people downloading? They usually can't afford the cost, Jail helps no one, and there's too many people to deal with.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 742 Posts
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveThree FriendsTagger First ClassYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    SOTM #16 Winner

Re: The Future of Transfers/Downloads?

Despite all these issues you are addressing it mostly comes down to those who make the rules and those who pass judgement upon the rules.

People may take action, but it depends if those 'in power' are willing to listen.

Not much would change I presume if worse comes to worse. I believe it'll be like before when the internet first came about. Back then, downloading anything was nearly impossible due to dial-up. It was just a place to look up information for the most part.

There were already 'underground trading groups' I suppose before direct downloading and torrents existed. We might resort to that once again. Who knows~

Depending which Internet Provider it is and its policies, it may affect those who download or not. I have not much knowledge about that. Therefore, I'll leave it open.

No one would stop using the internet. They would use it with caution or do other things as they usual do.

P2P and IRC would still exist. They are reliable and are still good to use to download. Can't imagine people not using them if they can't direct download or want something an alternative.

It won't be an issue... Very hard to tell since some want it 'this' way and others want it 'that' way. Most downloaders or those who use the internet for their enjoyment/personal use would find common ground with those who do the same. In the end, it depends on how to reach compromise or 'make almost everyone happy' by addressing the government and its lawmakers.

Pertaining to penalties, like you mentioned... it is not something that can be done in one day and just arrest people. I thought there are some policies that are in planning or in consideration when people 'do things on the internet' and 'how they would be dealt'. Read it somewhere not sure which site though.

Overall, people may rise up and take action. People might vote and change the politicians and other political figures in office. No real win-win situation, but it's still worth contemplating.
    Ignore This Signature

Spoiler: Reworking the Links ✿ Nothing in There 
    Nothing in Here Yet

♫Learn How to Use IRC♫

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassYour first GroupOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

I made this thread to think of the possibilities and not be shocked if/when a major change happens.
    And yea.. some people might go back to the first generation of (hackers?) where they talked via tapping telephone polls.
    The punishments I've heard of so far is simply limiting your internet service, or even suspending it. The only way they'd take it further, is if the court ordered it or something.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Honestly the issue is pretty simple and the keyword is adaption, the problem is that the owners of the big industries are uncapable of understand that, and if they don't have the will, eventually they will die.
    In the middle age the people thought that dragons were real and also in the existence of people that were able to invoke creatures from other dimensions to destroy other kingdoms and then rule the world, but now we know that is silly just think in that as a absolute true.

Honestly i don't want talk to much about it but, even in the worst possible scenario people are gonna find a way to exchange digital content and the P2P is gonna prevail even in those dark days.

Sorry for no follow the structure of the post.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Naa I agree. Whether or not we make progress in this generation, old ppl will die and someone else will replace them. It's been the same for ages with people who help onto old things. The important thing here is to not worry or be surprised about what happens.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

More people download from free space website. it is good for its companies. that means companies can earn more income from the commercial. it is good for them as well as for free downloader.

In a past several years, FTP /P2P is a main way for downloading. I think lots of people have been tried it. But it is not a good way for now, many free storage spaces on internet make sharing become fixable. When uploaded on the internet, uploader shared it freely in difference forums. Don't worry for the flow of capacities.

I hope the free storage companies on internet will in growing unless there are now way.

Close to JP GMT +9 Time Zone. However not at JP atm.
    Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

I don't know the future of downloads and what not but there been some talks between various people some people have already resorted to different things that I won't mention. If it does become restrictive, they still have to deal with bootlegged goods entering in the country and selling for their own profits. If not, they'll forever discriminate Valve ideas for making a business to sell their game products online. Microsoft has taken a path to get a slice of their profit by implementing a that some of their newer games released under their name to use their resources for profit. Right now, it hasn't gone into effect just to yet. But only time can tell.

Honestly speaking, it would be fairly difficult for people to deal with big companies still wanting to be a middle man for everything and make profit in still traditional means that is based on bricks and mortars and staggering the releases to customers discontent. If they chose to keep up with the times, perhaps they can make a sizable profit instead of spending money on court cases to cry on losses that they probably most likely not going to get. Right now, the climate is not healthy enough to have people earn a disposal income that they're drooling on. Not in my eyes at least.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

The internet is the last place on the planet that is truely unregulated, and where anyone could remain unknown if they so wanted to be. The corperations want to regulate the internet because everything is free there, there's no profit to be made in any of it. True, some copyrights need to be enforced...but I think regulating the internet would mean the end of everything. I also think at the same time that it's now impossible to keep the entire internet under watch or control.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 2,230 Posts
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassYour first Group
    Awards:
    WOW #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 Participant

Blahs regulation... i doubt people are going to allow them to :/ Internet doesnt belong to any single country so countries shouldnt be allowed to just create rules for it... Especially those rich people twisting the rules to create more profits for themselves...
    Ignore This Signature

~Do you have a wish?~

To the many friends that have come and gone...
    We shall miss you..~ Do drop by if you find yourself nearby..~

Made by an odd neko~
      Spoiler: Test your video editing skills or try a random game~ 

Thanks
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Much like the rise and fall of the great tentacle shrines at the hands of "the man" and his shiny swords, the internet is being cracked down upon and more tightly controlled by men in suits.

Its like the dawn of the 1700's for the internet, with the golden age of the 1600's fading away in the back drop.

The real change will eventually be done by the hardware, as the casual mass market continues to switch to tablets and companies like MS change/regulate how the end user will access new content.

Much like my fellow tentacles, the non-casual market will have to be a little more sneaky, a little more indirect to survive in the modern age of "the mans internet". Slurp!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information