Do you have problems downloading from a certain file host?

What is the best filesize per download for you?

• 100mb

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 200mb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300mb

• full size

• mirrors/torrents? (explain why~)

• Total voters

~SnowAngel~

~♥RadiantHeart♥~
Contributor
Mar 24, 2012
File hosts, file sharing, and internet threats.

I'm expanding this thread a bit~ Most downloaders know that a dropped connection is very annoying, and it would be better to have different options. Think about your download speed, the file host speed, and how often your connection drops. I want to know if there is anything I could do to help so that others don't have to repeat the same download. Also, what are some mirrors that you like offered other than mediafire?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(there's actually another thread here, but I'll let this be an expanded one)

I don't really know who is affected, but I've read something about ul.to:
Uploaded.to (ul.to) blocked in US

Has anyone not been able to download from ul.to? Any other file host links posted by ASL that you could not use? (other than broken links)

One thing I've had trouble getting something from is adfly, or indowebster. (for example, tho it'll never be used here).
There's often times when mirror links are for certain countries also. If you google file hosts, you'll most likely get a different list depending on where you are. (UK, US, JP, etc)
Because of overseas bandwidth cost, or concerns with piracy, some file hosts will not serve you. Furthermore, even if a company is available for multiple countries, they may restrict their service do to new laws or pressure to keep a good name.

Then there's file hosts that will quickly take down links or ban accounts. Even tho they might be useful, things like fileserve and mediafire are now difficult to keep links working.

While ASL ultimately is not effected by this (we have IRC and a server to give you a DL), it may soon become a bigger issue for USA downloaders, or maybe uploaders in general. A USA ISP could block traffic to a certain website if required; file hosts could be restricted to be isolated for each country; and possibly other methods may take place depending on what happens. Keep in mind that USA might not be the only ones effected, as other companies may agree to take that practice or have extensions in your country as another file host name. Probably one of the biggest things about copyright being talked about is torrents, which is very difficult for companies to deal with today. They could and may take action on certain ones, usually by having your ISP email you a warning, but later start penalizing you.

What are some file hosts that you can NOT download from? What alternative would you suggest?

I encourage you to learn about copyright cases that have been made, even if you're not in the USA.
one place you can search is here: https://www.eff.org
Everything I've mentioned can be read about here: TPP Creates Legal Incentives For ISPs To Police The Internet
and here: ACTA Signed by 8 of 11 Countries - Now What?

Last edited:
Hmm i dont download enough to know... but back to ACTA and other related stuff again i see...

I just think it's important to give ppl a heads up about this x_x you'd be surprised about how many americans download and upload without ever knowing what the dmca and all is. really, it's better that sharing is stopped than for a person being charged for thousands and millions of dollars (euros, yen, etc.)

I'm still mourning Megaupload. :dispirited:

As far as filehosts go, the working ones seem fine. Mediafire, File Factory and Rapidgator seem okay most of the time. But with Rapidgator, I need to click the link twice for it to work - one click just makes the page load to infinity. I remember this German file host which really throttled my download speed (it actually downloads in two digit Kbs) but I haven't needed it in a while so I can't remember it.

I have the most problems with downloads from uploaded.to as free user. Some times the files are unavailable for hours, then it only downloads a file with 1 KB, and the most annoying problem, the download often aborts at 90-99 % and then I can wait for the next download :D

But I've found a premium link generator now (http://ul-load.com). It's very limited, but it works just fine and it's a good addition to the free downloads :)

Reactions: ~SnowAngel~
Actually, you don't have to wait. There's this trick I've learned; turn off your modem and turn it back on. Voila, waiting time skipped. :goodtea:

[MENTION=13204]pumasrevenge[/MENTION] would you mind saying what country you're from? I'm guessing germany? (since the link is german :P)

Kasumi does that work all the time? I think some file hosts found a way around that.

Actually, you don't have to wait. There's this trick I've learned; turn off your modem and turn it back on. Voila, waiting time skipped. :goodtea:
Yeah, know that, but that's not a very good idea to restart the modem after every download, because we are four people, and if it's in the evening, everyone of us is connected to the internet.

[MENTION=13204]pumasrevenge[/MENTION] would you mind saying what country you're from? I'm guessing germany? (since the link is german :P)
Not exactly, I'm from Austria ... but the language is the same ;D

Hmm and if all four of you go and download then itll be a pain to get it to work for you ;p

Hmm and if all four of you go and download then itll be a pain to get it to work for you ;p
Haha, that's right, but that shouldn't happen in the near future, because I'm the only one who downloads something from the internet, that's the reason why I often have to download something for them ... they use the internet only for playing games, facebook etc. :D

Hmm they dont stream stuff or anything? xD My internet dies quite a bit when my sis/parents stream and whatnot...

Hmm they dont stream stuff or anything? xD My internet dies quite a bit when my sis/parents stream and whatnot...
Not really, ok, my brother sometimes stream some certain videos, if you know what I mean, but no one else :D

*see the first post.

I'm expanding this thread a bit~ Most downloaders know that a dropped connection is very annoying, and it would be better to have different options. Think about your download speed, the file host speed, and how often your connection drops. I want to know if there is anything I could do to help so that others don't have to repeat the same download. Also, what are some mirrors that you like offered other than mediafire?

I remember this German file host which really throttled my download speed (it actually downloads in two digit Kbs) but I haven't needed it in a while so I can't remember it.
That was RapidShare. They now have got high speeds and parallel downloads for freeusers, LOL.
But it probably has got a reason that everyone abandoned that host...

Splitting files has got advantages and disadvantages. No splitting means that you download less individual files so that you avoid unnecessary waittimes. It however is also annoying when your computer decides to power off when your 1GB download is at 95%.

About hosts... shouldnt you pick the host you are most comfortable with?
The downloading procedure is pretty simillar on most of them after all.

That was RapidShare. They now have got high speeds and parallel downloads for freeusers, LOL.
No limitation with 30 kb/s anymore? Last time I heard about RS was when they dropped the download speed for free user to 30 kb/s ... never downloaded or heard about them :D

In the beginning RS was the biggest host, but then they stopped their affiliate program because they suddenly feared that they could be paying uploaders of illegal content with it. (They of course did not know that already from the beginning... :rolleyes:)
Then the MU thing happaned and they cut the speeds, but now they just give high speeds and parallel download to everyonee, since there anyways isnt anything to download anymore.

I like downloading from Depositfiles and Rapidgator. Other than Mediafire of course.
Well, it's easy to understand when you have premium accounts... lol ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha