Chronic urticaria advice...

Joyjason

Cynical Philosopher
Elite Member
Dec 16, 2010
Hi guys, I'm hoping if anyone can help me with a problem.

Right now, I have a condition called urticaria. It's more commonly referred to as "hives", and is usually caused by an allergy. It's those raised bumps that itch like mad when you get them, and for a lot of the healthy people, they disappear in 24 hours.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I consumed a large number of clams. I can't help it--they taste good. Well, it seems that I'm allergic to them, even when I wasn't before--I started to get hives all over my body that itched a lot.
Strangely, they're not going away even after 14 days. I've already consumed 15 antihistamine pills, and I'm still getting hives that's keeping me awake every night unless I take another pill. It's really driving me nuts.

According to a lot of websites, it may be that I have chronic urticaria, or a relatively rare condition where I constantly get hives on and off. It corresponds to my symptoms now, where I don't itch as much in the daytime as I do at night. The cause is unknown.

I need advice. I'm trying to take less antihistamines, since they're actually slowly fading in effectiveness (my body becomes resistant to drugs quickly), and if I'm not on antihistamines, I'm pretty much screwed--trying to scratch myself spontaneously.

Does anyone know of an article regarding this condition? I'm still trying to look for options I have, but the only thing I can find for now is "just chug drugs and hope it goes away".

Thanks for the help.

Do not chug drugs and hope it goes away! That could be very bad for your health, or even worsen the condition if you don't know what you're doing!

It probably isn't a rare condition or anything, you might just take a little while longer than some to clear up. Maybe you are doing something else that is agitating it.
It is probably not chronic, as that would normally mean that it just comes and goes regularly over long periods of time (such as years).

I would recommend you to visit a physician. They've probably seen it a few dozen times by now and know how to help you best. Looking at articles online can be helpful, but in the end a professional look is a good idea. :)

Hope you get better soon!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I was exaggerating a bit with the "chugging drugs" part because I was just so annoyed with this itch X_x

You may be right--it might clear up soon. Thankfully, I know I get the symptoms after eating shellfish, so I guess no more clam chowder for me (currently crying because I love clam chowder)

I can't go see a Physician, though, since I don't have insurance... While I agree with you on the fact that that's the best choice

If you can't afford a physician, it might be worth checking out a free clinic in your area.

I would assume that why you still have hives is because of iodine. You are probably unable to handle large amounts of iodine and you probably still have a good amount of iodine still in you.

Epinephrine should fix you up. Else, just stop eating foods high in iodine.

Edit: This is a bump post. Noticed thread is old and OP is probably fine now.

Nope. I'm still getting hive-like symptoms around 11PM, which is really preventing me from sleeping.
The current antihistamines have finally stopped being effective, so I'll probably have to hop over to the nearest CVS tomorrow get a stronger concentration (or a different kind)

Contrary to what's normally expected, epinephrine isn't effective against hives--it's only for those who suffer bronchioconstriction allergies
I'll probably have to contact our school health center, because I can't find the cause for this--the only thing I can think of is the clams from a few weeks ago.

If anyone else has comments or ideas to share, please do so.
Thanks for the comment, though.

Bump.

Checking on OP's health status. Need an Esuna spell cast on you?

Thanks for the checkup.

Right now, I'm suspecting that these so-called "hives" are actually simply because of too much body heat (although I'm not sure why it's localized to the upper leg area), or from dryness. I'll be utilizing air conditioning and Eucerin (Lotion) for a few days to see if they are effective.

I don't know why this condition suddenly appeared, but my best guess is that the initiation was caused by my hives, which were actually from the clams I consumed previously.

I suggest that you should go to see a doctor, he might have a better idea after all.

I suggest that you should go to see a doctor, he might have a better idea after all.

I actually did go see a nurse practitioner who works at our school clinic, and even she said she has no idea. (Not to mention there are no signs of hives OR irritation in the area)
Frankly, the suspicions above are her "suggestions", since we were pretty much throwing ideas around.

It wasn't so bad yesterday, but you never know when it'll come back--I'm keeping close watch on what I eat and what I come in contact with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。
nanashinanashi wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/111125-overdrive-d2b-vs-deardrops-cross-the-future.1174725/ to katefile or mexashare or rosefile.Thanks
Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.