Anti-Downloading Law Hits Japan, Up To 2 Years in Prison From October 1, 2012

Chivien999

Banned
Jun 10, 2011
Bullshit >"<

A few hours ago Japan introduced new anti-piracy legislation designed to clamp down on illegal file-sharing. The regime is one of the most draconian in the world. In most countries users are only targeted when they upload copyright-infringing material to other Internet users, but the new law’s wording means that simply downloading unauthorized material could result in a jail sentence.

According to the Recording Industry Association of Japan and their IFPI affiliates, the Japanese music industry is in trouble. Unauthorized downloads eclipse those from official source by 10 to 1, and the market for downloads shrank by 16% last year.

This decline needs to combated, they insist.

After intensive lobbying by the music industry, in June this year Japan approved an amendment to its Copyright Law that would see downloaders of unauthorized music face stiff criminal penalties in addition to the civil remedies already in place.

The wording here is important. While in some countries downloading copyrighted media without permission is already illegal, it is usually the uploaders (distributors) of content that are targeted in so-called “3 strikes” style campaigns.

While Japan already has the legislative muscle to hit uploaders with up to 10 years in prison and a 10 million yen ($128,300) fine, this new legislation makes criminals of mere downloaders.

From today, knowingly downloading copyright infringing material can result in a two-year jail sentence or a fine of 2 million yen ($25,680). But there could be complications.

Tracking uploaders of infringing material is a fairly simple affair, with rightsholders connecting to file-sharers making available illicit content and logging evidence. However, proving that someone has downloaded content illegally presents a whole new set of issues.

On BitTorrent, for example, rightsholders would have to be the ones actually sending the infringing material to a file-sharer in order to know that he or she is downloading it. This scenario could cause complications, since rightholders already have permission to upload their own content, making the source a legal one.

But for the implications for ‘downloaders’ could be even more widespread. The generally tech-savvy BitTorrent user understands the potential for being targeted for sharing, but by making mere downloading a criminal offense it is now feared that those who simply view an infringing YouTube video could also be subjected to sanctions.

For some rightsholders though, even this kind of draconian regime isn’t enough. As reported in June, music rights groups including the Recording Industry Association of Japan say they have developed a system capable of automatically detecting unauthorized music uploads before they even hit the Internet.

But to do that they need to be able to spy on Internet users’ connections and compare data being transferred with digital fingerprints held in an external database. That can only be achieved with the assistance of Internet service providers who would be asked to integrate the system deeply into their networks.

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-downloading-law-hits-japan-up-to-2-years-in-prison-from-today-121001/

Reactions: ~SnowAngel~
Saw that yesterday,this is really messed up D:,Japan Y U DO THAT!!

Two years for downloading =.= How much is it for shoplifting compared to that?...

Why is Japan taking a page out of our book?

Here, first time offenders can receive up to 5 years in prison with a minimum penalty of $750 per copyrighted item. (songs, movies, etc.)

By the way chivien, does the Japanese prison system work like the American one does? Over here if a person is sentenced to do any longer than one year, even if it is just a day longer, that person has to serve all of their time in prison, not county jail.

I have never been to prison but I have spent 45 days in county jail for violating the terms of my probation after a drunk driving incident. (Stupid I know, but I did learn my lesson the hard way).

My point being that stuck in county jail with inmates who have committed DUI's, drug charges, domestic abuse, petty theft, and other small crimes sure does beat the hell out of spending over a year with murderers, rapists, gang bangers, and other career criminals.

I would feel extremely sorry for someone who had to go through all of that just for downloading forms of entertainment. Jail sucks and will definitely make you re-evaluate your life. Prison however, changes people forever whether they want to change or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
This topic of discussion has been around for few months (it was discussed here too in one of other anti-piracy topics) but I guess it's official now.

To be quite honest though, I don't see Japanese having to pirate as much anyway as the rest of the world considering the forms of entertainment there aren't really gut wrenching expensive (comparing to how much rest of us have to pay to get our hands on those) and they have some of the best stuff in the world available at their doorstep...Obviously that's only based on assumption that people download stuff because those are not readily available for immediate purchase or for reasonable price, which is probably not the case. Still bothers me how hard ass they are being though.

It's not about arresting innocent people... It's much more complicated and if u care Ill try to explain:

So Internet is place where people can share all the ideas and talk about all topics (which not benefit those richfags). And all the movements nowadays get organized over the net... So firstly, they tryed controlling it whole (which they failed so far but still trying), so they can stop everything. Well second thing they do is removing free stuff, why? Only so they would get people to actually stop going on internet (well many people use it only for that). That way they reduce number of people who are able to see the truth that is present on the internet and it's about all goverments...

It's not about arresting innocent people... It's much more complicated and if u care Ill try to explain:

So Internet is place where people can share all the ideas and talk about all topics (which not benefit those richfags). And all the movements nowadays get organized over the net... So firstly, they tryed controlling it whole (which they failed so far but still trying), so they can stop everything. Well second thing they do is removing free stuff, why? Only so they would get people to actually stop going on internet (well many people use it only for that). That way they reduce number of people who are able to see the truth that is present on the internet and it's about all goverments...

I know, I know. Basically, they're trying to limit freedom of speech on the internet because it has the potential to massively expand one's level of consciousness/intelligence or in other words, awareness. The dumber the population is, the easier it is to conquer them. Dumbing them down is key.

Hmm dumbing them down :goodtea: I wonder if thats what the government is trying to do with their ruining the school systems... so many not quite as intelligent as they could be people going nuts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Koskas wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, can you update this? New version fix the character skin chage bug. This bug will cause you can't interactive with anything.
hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ315563 RJ327273 RJ367842 links were dead, please could you reupload these?
TasogareHentai wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry for disturb, but can you please reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
umi131 wrote on Shine's profile.
リクエスト
これのアートCGをお願いします。
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01166080.html/?locale=pt_BR
dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?