Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: anonymousnessesssss :p

Thanks
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassYour first GroupOverdrive25000 Experience Points1 year registered

anonymousnessesssss :p

soooo I'm wondering about people that like to be anonymous on the internet~

In what ways are you (or prefer to be) anonymous?
    Why do you want/like to be anonymous?
    Explain why it's important (or not) to you~
    Maybe a few risks?

I just happen to hear about this random stuff from time to time~ I don't relly understand the whole concept of being anonymous, but it sounds interesting. I mean, I think there's a certain amount that's important to have, but just how much do people need? How much is too much? (or illegal?? x-x)

You can also tie this into other things like very..creepy love letters some random person gives you x-x (I mean like, they mail it to you! x-x). Then there's restricted calls where you don't know the number calling... (idk how they do that x-x).

There's lots of projects and stuff i heard about~ here's a few:
    http://www.anonymox.net/
    https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I2P
    http://invisibleip.sourceforge.net/iip/
    https://www.torproject.org/
    https://freenetproject.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Duck_Go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_%28group%29

Sooo is it just me, are a few people paranoid? orrr is there something important that people just don't know about? Should people care about what information is being collected about them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Re: anonymousnessesssss :p

I don't share phone numbers, address', real life - name, family, friends, work, school
    I'm not really 100% sure why.. it could be because i don't have to worry about peoples opinions because i won't actually care if i'm anonymous, where as in real life if you do something stupid; rumors can go around and people might look at you funny without even getting to know you. Its not that important i just prefer it =P
    Risks!?
    Stalkers...Stalkers everywhere!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 578 Posts
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    SOTM #01: January 2011

The EFF's HTTPS Everywhere has little to do with anonymity. It merely forces your browser to load many well-known websites (and others you add via your own rulesets) with SSL and thus encrypt your connection to minimise the chance of interference and interception.

Also, merely caring about anonymity and making efforts to stay anonymous on the 'net doesn't necessarily associate you with the Anonymous collective.

I don't believe the notion of being "too anonymous." Being anonymous is being anonymous. It's a pure boolean equation with only 1 and 0, yes and no, true and false as the answers. "Too anonymous" is just a concept in the minds of those in league with surveillance laws fearing circumvention and trying to tell people to keep their anonymity to the level where it can be traced back to them.

However, as we know, laws have stopped serving the people long ago, and are one of the main reasons this very issue you're bringing up in this thread has become of much importance lately.

Rules and Guidelines - read them.
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases, please try XDCC.
    Bug report? Feedback? Go to Site Support, not my inbox. Thanks.
    Join our IRC channel: #anime-sharing@irc.rizon.net

Spoiler: 正体 

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered

I like being generally anonymous.. I'm honest about my first name, age.. sort of where I live ( I don't usually specify what city unless I get to know someone).. but I prefer to keep things like my phone number, full name and address anonymous..

I think many people (especially young people) put way too much personal things online (especially on facebook) and at some point will regret something that they posted online.. especially photos

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassYour first GroupOverdrive25000 Experience Points1 year registered

I'm one of those people~ XD I put everything and anything online and somehow ended up being scarred for life x-x
    still~ even if I or them don't know each other, I still feel bad if someone's feelings were hurt x-x People are still people afterall.
    I also find it weird how random people will try to talk to me using my name... and i don't even know the person x-x
    Which reminds me, it's kinda odd how in usa friends won't use each other's names unless they're like talking about someone. orrr getting their attention?
    anyways~ It's unbelievable how I'm still hooked to the internet XD I might take a break after a while and do some things I wanted to do~ maybe when i don't have school x-x

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registered500 Experience Points

Being anonymous, and why people like to keep information private is a matter of self-protection.

There's a safety feeling about being able to interact with someone without being subject to possible retaliation in case of misconduct and/or conflict.

If you are gay, you can openly talk about it aslong as you don't disclose your personnal information, this way even if you happen to meet someone who hate gays, he won't be able to punch you or harass you, you can simply 'mute/remove' on whatever discussion platform you're using, and he can no longer interact with you.

I took the gay exemple, but it's the same for discussing about political or religious beliefs. Basically everything that is 'sensitive' and in which people usually have firm beliefs and tends to go conflictual about. When being anonymous on the internet, you can discuss about everything without the risk of being shuned by your peers. Because if they do shun you, you can just ignore those who do, or find another community that share your mindset.

Oh and yes, people who do not keep some information private tends to get some troubles. Rumors can spread, and we all know about peoples who got fired after posting party picture on facebook while they were supposed to work -> their boss found it -> fired

Thanks
    Achievements:

So I'm guessing this will mostly apply to U.S content:
    http://torrentfreak.com/six-strikes-...monday-130223/

they mention a possible way around it, but it might be bad news for people who use lots of banwidth in general x-x
    I thought Tor might help, but then I read this:
    http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...urrentPage=all

Thanks
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience Points1 year registered

That is USA for your...
    Ignore This Signature

Props to nanashi <3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassYour first Group

Hmm... im quite an idiot when it comes to this stuff x3 So dunno~
    Ignore This Signature
    To the many friends that have come and gone...
    We shall miss you..~ Do drop by if you find yourself nearby..~

Made by an odd neko~
      Spoiler: Test your video editing skills or try a random game~ 

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Hmm....Well I do suppose I like to be anonymous, and for the same reasons most do. (You know what those are. XD)
    Personally, I just don`t like the thought of being monitored. It freaks me out to think I`m being watched all the time. And as for the risks, saying you like to be anonymous is essentially evoking the 5th amendment which is a pretty useless one IMO. All it does is say "I have something to hide and I`m not going to tell you what it is." which makes you suspicious beyond words.

And on the "six strikes" thing, it doesn`t worry me too much. Specifically the line "hardcore pirates are not the target of the system.". To me that says "We want to scare you, but because we know it would turn out problematic we aren`t actually going to do anything to you.". I think they know it would take too much time and effort to arrest every pirate under those ISP`s. They also know that it would cause the biggest uproar yet from the people opposing the anti-piracy and monitoring things they`ve been throwing at everyone for the past few years. (All of which have failed I might add.)

It just doesn`t scare me anymore.
    Ignore This Signature

"They don`t think it be like it is, but it do."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information