JRPGs What are some good ones?

Shikimory

Apr 13, 2012
I absolutely love the Jrpgs but I think I am starting to fence my self off from some possible good games by sticking with the "Tales of" series and what ever NISA puts out. What are some other good JRPGs or RPGs that you would suggest?

i suggest u to play "monster hunter" its a great jrpg it even has an MMORPG but well, its in japanese =p

Last edited:
I thought Monster Hunter was more Action Adventure then RPG. I haven't tried the MMO yet since I am not too interested in jumping through hoops to play fully.

Shin Megami Tensei games are fantastic, and provide a good challenge too! I really recommend them, if you haven't played yet.

recettear, chantelise, fortune summoners all japanese rpg and theyre all hard but the first one xD i completed it in a week~

Baten Kaitos and its prequel "Origins" (GCN).
The legend of Heroes (PSP trilogy).
Resonance of Fate (PS3)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (PS3)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

Those are some I can think of the top of my head. I would have mentioned some of the "Tales of" games but OP already said he plays em.

From personal experience, these are the best JRPGs(No specific order):
The Final Fantasy series - Though the new ones aren't exactly my cup of tea.
The Disgaea series - Excellent artwork and gameplay.
Fire Emblem - Really deep strategy.
The PERSONA series - Excellent artwork, story and gameplay.

ALRIGHT! I'm, pretty picky with my JRPG games, but I love them!!! Here is what I recommend!
- Ar Tonelico Series. (FAV)
- Star Ocean -Till the End of Time (Fav in the series)
- Persona, or really any Shin Megami Tensei games, all are pretty great!
- WILD ARMS!
- Radiata Stories!
- Okami was a good game...not really a JRPG, more like a Zelda type game!
- Dark Cloud 1&2.
- Atelier Iris and the Mana Khemia games!
- FFX was the only FF game I really liked....worth a play.
- If you want a fun side scroller kina JRPG ish experience play Odin Sphere, and Muramasa The Demon Blade, both by Vanillaware!

Also random...Shadow of the Colossus is fun! Me and my friend always beat it together, taking turns on killing the Monsters! Fun game to play! Hope this helped!

I would recommend "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of The Cursed King" it's by far (IMO) the best JRPG ..
It's Platform is PlayStation 2 by the way :D

Well i think Xenoblade chronicles is the best J-RPG of the last 10 years,
there also the luminous arc series T-RPG and rune factory series on ds that i find good

Hope it will help you ^^

Persona games , Atelier games and Tales of Games!!!! are my favorites!!!!

Love the tales of series too, just want to cry when they didnt get out of japan T_T

you're right. :smug:
But there are some "Tales of" Translation patch
as narikiri psp dungeon x that has the menu translated into English!!!!

Final Fantasy is a nice RPG or Tales of Eternia
Dunno if Black Rock Shooter the Game is the same but it is also a nice game ^^

It depends for what console you want games:) i still have my old supernintendo, or super famicom for japanese users:) On that console i massively uberly whatever recommend Lufia, rise of the sinistrals. its an old game, but if you, like me, like games for their gameplay, and not because of their graphics, you should definately try this game. It has a VERY good story, memorable characters, awesome music, and best of all; Capsule Monsters.

Capsule Monsters are kind of like a pokemon for your party, in the sence that you can feed him, and when hes filled up he evolves into a new form, there are 7 (or 8:P) different starting capsule monsters, each having their own attribute( Fire, wind, earth, light, darkness, water and neutral.)

You cant control the moves of the capsule monsters as they act on their own. Wich is okay because you have 4 other party members you control:)

Trust me, this game will be a really fun experience to play.

ps.: the tales of series are a good try too:) Really fun combat system and a good story. i also recommend Star Ocean; till the end of time(PS2). wich is also a great game.:)

Final Fantasy series, Tales of series, Star Ocean series, Xeno series, Grandia Series, Persona series, Vandal hearts series, Valkyrie Profile Series, Dark Cloud series and many more.

Last edited:
Not sure if the Fire Emblem counts as an RPG as it has RPG elements but its a great franchise.
The Shin Megami Tensei games are worth looking into.
Wild Arms.
Tales series.
Pokemon
Digimon (the ones on PS1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Khroad Law Professional Corporation is a multi-service law firm located in Brampton. We provide legal services in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Immigration Law, Corporate Law, Wills & Estate, and Civil Litigation.
Nagomikaze wrote on Shine's profile.
Hey, do you have a working Textractor hook for this release? I can only hook the base game. Thanks in advance!
feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi. I need your help once again. would you upload ここから夏のイノセンス!OST?
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.