A focus on the story

ansharz

Trusted Member
Sep 9, 2012
Every game has a story, some aren't bad but very few are amazing. What games in your opinion have amazing story, a story on an epic scale, a story that you just love the game for it? What games do you recommend for its story?

My recommendations:

Xenogears - it's such an amazing story and so incredibly thought out and detailed it reaches a perfection, the game is also very fun to play, and I never minded the infamous 2nd disc, in fact I liked it. If you have never played this game and love a good story (and want to play a great rpg too) don't go read any reviews or watch any videos on youtube (especially on youtube, there is one asshole who did a video review of the game and spoiled quite important detail that you discover very far into the game, that guy should be banned from the internet, lol) just go and play it.

Xenosaga - it's pretty much for the same reason as Xenogears, it's made by the same team, too bad it didn't get the fame it deserves, not only is the story just amazing and epic it also one of those games that pushes the playstation 2 to it's limits (especially Xenosaga: Episode 3), just like with Xenogears go and play it and don't spoil yourself with all the info on the net.

Metal Gear Solid (the entire series)- I don't know if I should even talk about it, pretty much everyone played it....

Ever17 - A seemingly slow and uninteresting story turns into an incredibly detailed plot, not gonna spoil it, all I am gonna say is if you, like me want to quit the game before you finish it, then DON'T, speaking as someone who gets really impatient when a story is just too slow, just keep playing, it will be worth it, I started to play the game years ago and stopped an hour in, lately I have finished it and boy was I wrong about this game, I just wish I had the time to sit down and replay it all again.

Dhux's Scar - A game I discovered by chance and I'm so glad I played it. It's an rpgmaker game originally in Spanish and has been translated into English. Not only is it a well plotted story but the characters are great too, and it's not all serious and dark (although it is very serious and dark) it has it's funny moments. It amazes me how a hobby game can have such good story while most commercial games can't even come close to it. The plot hooks you pretty fast and you won't guess where it's going, from a small a chance encounter into an epic plot and character driven story. I wish it was a bit longer so it could give some other characters more development because they were so interesting.

I'll update as soon as I'll remember of more games.

Please note that I don't want to see any arguments like 'games are meant to be played, not read or watched' or anything like that.
Feel free to share your opinions, even if it's a story everyone else hates and you think it's amazing please share your thought about it.

I love videogames with a great story, i mainly buy games because of the story.
I recommend games like Alan Wake, it has a diferent way of telling a story. I don't know why Remedy takes such a long time to release a game. MGS of course i like, but i didn't like metal gear rising very much.
Rpgs, like FInal Fantasy or Mass Effect. But my favorite is The elder Scrolls, because the've been bulding their story, culture and mithology for a long time!.

Well, I think Mafia has a good plot, its ending make me stunned for a while (I played it when i'm just a 6th-grader).

Persona 4 really brighten me up whenever I play it.

The elder scrolls 3: morrowind, there are some side quests that have a very great turning point and unforeseen events. Some books also has really good story. In short, the amount of content is huge.

Umineko, I first read it because it's a mystery sound novel, but after the first 4 EPs, BAM, the romance kicks in, and I like it even more! It also featured in many theories, some philosophies and the ending is really satisfying.

I've not finished Ever17, but thanks to ansharz's post, maybe I have to read it again :)

You definitely should play Ever17 especially of you like a very well constructed plot.

MGS is definitely up there. I don`t like its sci-fi elements, but the characters and their relationships more than make up for it.

I`d say the Halo series is pretty high on my list too. Once you look past the "badass space marine" exterior of the story you`ll find that it`s an amazing take on humans as a species and really delves into what they`re capable of when threatened.
And Halo 4 took it to a whole new level with it`s delving into the humanity of Mastercheif himself and how Cortana, despite being an artificial intelligence, is arguably more human than he is.

GTAIV was a great allegory for the "American Dream" and how easily that dream is corrupted, assuming it even possible to achieve in the first place.

Silent Hill never ceases to amaze me, with the second game being the epitome of stories for me. I`ve never seen another story that surpasses it, mainly because it wasn`t so much a story as it was a study on madness, and a damn good one at that.

As an end to my list I`ll just say that, as far as I`ve gotten in it, God of War is turning out to be one of the best video game stories I`ve seen.

Don't get your hopes too high about God of War, each and every game has the same story over and over, I can't stand the games anymore, and this is coming from someone who was a HUGE fan of the series. If you love the story it's cool but as for me I'm done with the series for a long while.

Silent Hill are the best story focused games i have ever played, superb characters and thrilling stories, the first 3 are the best, dont bother with the rest, quality went downhill after third installment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

sincy wrote on Shine's profile.
momoka1919 wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry, The title of "this" is different, but the correct title is"ド変態ドM&腹黒メイド服『ハイポリボディ版』+EXキャラビジュアル強化パック" This data does not contain "ハイポリボディ版". Please upload that data.
Hoppou wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
this person got some good stuff, plz upload them...https://vrsexfriend.fanbox.cc/
chocorn wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi shine,
This game update on March 26th
Can you please update it?