Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Visual Novel Cafe

Thanks
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends

Re: Visual Novel Cafe

Ahaha... ahaha... guys, anyone tried Maukoro trial by Pulltop?

http://www.pulltop.com/maukoro/download.html

I'm sorry, maybe, that is only me, but voices in that game... Ehm... For example, Hino Yuki... My ears just in blood, seriously, here is some examples...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ugz8mi...voice.rar/file

YUK_0002 and YUK_0009 just blow my mind. What that little sister saying so, that my ears are bleeding?

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

YUK0002 : ねえねおにい凄くない?日本だよ日本!私たち、ほんとに日本に帰ってきたんだよ! 
    Hey brother, isn't it great? It's Japan, Japan! We really came back to Japan!
    YUK0009 : ???? sounds like just screaming random sounds to me

She's on the high pitch range of voices but I've heard worse.

Finished Kohane's route in love clear, Giga's latest offering. Ending excepted, it was actually pretty decent, with cute characters with relatable troubles. The protagonist is a little slow on the uptake and on the action but what you can do, at least he has common sense unlike someone else in recent memory.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Some random, unfinished impressions:

Sugary Style: I finished Ichika's route. Outside of what I already said, the route was fine. It's Smee so I don't need some extra (artificial) hardship. However, while the MC commented how he seems to be someone who decides his (professional) future on the partner/loved one, they could have spent some more time on his motivation to pursue the bakery path outside of the afore-mentioned. And Smee, please add a scene skip or scenario jump/selection feature. Skimming through the whole common route for the individual segments becomes quite tedious after a while.

Love Clear: I like the general theme and idea of "Nomika" and though it was a shame that it was only used quite sporadically. A few nice bgm tracks and the heroines are funny on their own. I really love the the short 恋心モノローグ of each heroine. It's corny, but I think the PoV change is greatly utilized to see the heroine slowly becoming aware and falling for the MC.
    The meh aspects: I don't like academically useless MCs. The poison-tongued classmate is so-so as well, but I guess they tried to wash over it with her HUGE cat lover trait.

Sorceress Alive: Only skimmed through the true route: Good OST, likable cast and apparently competent MC. The plot element of the "Alive" route/chapter feels hard on the border of suspension of disbelief. The true end's outcome was personally not my cup of tea. It's nothing too uncommon in a broad sense I guess.

Spoiler: True End 
    The whole deal about Yuumi/Miyuki being the ultimate big bad evil feels a bit over the top. Combined with the time travel bit and the reoccuring loops in some kind of "mind world" was quite weird. I don't know if that revelation turns the whole "Sorceress" story with the first batch of endings void. Miyuki disappearing at the end is as mentioned nothing too uncommon with these kind of setting, but eh... not my cup of tea. I guess the girl in the epilogue is her reincarnation, so she may find happiness with the MC-lookalike? young boy. Can't really put it in words.

Thanks
    Achievements:

I've spent a couple evening on さくら、もゆ。 -as the Night's, Reincarnation-, the newest Favorite, but after going up to the first choice I'm unsure if I want to continue.

Spoiler: sakura moyu common route light spoilers 
    I don't hate it, but there are several points that make the reading a little uncomfortable, first of all the writing style that tries to emulate fairytale/picture books. The abundance of repeated adjectives and sentences quickly eroded the sympathy I had for adhering to this writing style and the more I continue the more it just feels like useless padding for a game that is already extremely dense on info dumps. Perhaps too dense, the "dream world" is very detailed in its functions and inhabitants but to be honest, I'm never that interested in fantasy worlds themselves, but more in what the characters make of them, and contradictions are not very difficult to find at this early stage.

About the characters, they are also a little difficult to appreciate for me, starting with the protagonist. I'm not a fan of the stream of comedians we've had lately but this one can be seriously depressing, what with his desire to be a hero and yet failing at it at almost every opportunity, and his obvious deathwish combined with the typical "better for them to hate me" style of thought. Despite that, the surrounding cast and especially the "mom" (because sister isn't fitting at all for her position) spoil him so much, it's very unsettling. I'm sure there a lot of past between the characters, but with the amount of information I currently have available the protagonist felt more like a brat that could use a good scolding to be put back in his place and given direction, rather than being handed down magic powers and sent to save the world/the girls hearts. The story is built with an enormous dissonance between player and protagonist knowledge, since our boy knows exactly what happened while we as players are left guessing, and I'm sure there are some big reveals along the way but that doesn't change the way I feel now which is what matters in my motivation to continue or not.

As far as heroines go, the general impression I have is... childish. It fits the magical girl theme, although they are supposed to be ten years older, but in their behavior and speech pattern, their really don't give the impression to have grown up at all. I don't mind childish heroines, but only if there is an older or more mature counterpart as the protagonist, which isn't really something the game seems to be aiming at. Kuro is clearly the center heroine from the various flashbacks and interactions, and she is the most interesting of the bunch so far, but route lock and all... Players of previous Favorite titles (this is my first one) may be able to enlighten me here, but I feel that ecchi scenes in this game will feel about as odd and out-of-place as ecchi scenes in Key games, if not more.

And yet, the first real happening of the game throws us up against the nightmare of a young girl who was abandoned by both her parents in succession and is contemplating suicide, but can't gather the courage to do it due to a questionable upbringing. I'm sure the game will have its fair share of cruel fates and other sad happenings to compensate for its other childish aspects, and the contrast is probably something that was aimed at, so I haven't completely written the game off yet. The mood and especially the music are top class, but I'm not too big a fan of the painting like background and the strange poses of some the character sprites (also, boy with flower hairpin, can't unsee).
    Last edited by kzel; February 5th, 2019 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

I'm still studying Japanese but your reviews are very fun to read kzel, they give me some insight as to what I will be trying in the future.
    Thanks for posting them here.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Veky View Post
    I'm still studying Japanese but your reviews are very fun to read kzel, they give me some insight as to what I will be trying in the future.
    Thanks for posting them here.
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm amazed my rants "reviews" could motivate you to pick up any game I've covered since I tend to always focus on the bad points. You could say anything I don't mention was relatively okay though! I wish I had some more to write about, alas I'm not much in a VN mood lately, in no small parts thanks to the avalanche of Valentine events in mobile games sucking up all my time. Speaking of which, here are a few comments on some with a more pronounced VN component :

ぼくらの放課後戦争!-AFTER SCHOOL WARS- : A light school-life with excellent art by a variety of artists and a good CV cast. The battle system is unfortunately entirely forgettable, just put it on auto and forget it even exists. The main/event story are for the most part very readable, sometimes funny. Each heroine actually has their own 12 chapters mini-route which is something extremely rare in the world of mobile games, they usually go straight to the sex scenes after a short introduction. I've grown more attached to these characters than any of the 200+ I have in other games. Unlocking characters doesn't take too much effort thanks to the daily free gacha, and the rare (or pricey) SSR cards only add some extra scenario/H so they're really not worth the money. In fact, considering you can buy a full game with 40+ CGs for the price of one character or two (usually 1-2CGs and 10min of text), I would say none of these games are worth spending any money into. I know I haven't.

あいりすミスティリア!R ~少女のつむぐ夢の秘跡~ : August collaborating with a mobile game, and after a rather long hiatus the game seems to be going pretty strong. The main story is the main appeal, with some good moments (especially the latest chapter) helped by some quality artwork, good sprite/background usage, very good music and a familiar CV cast. Unlocking all characters is very easy to do just by following the main story, each of them has their own mini-story (alas pretty short and skipping any romance transition) and two H scenes. Higher rarity cards unlock some more powerful variants and some mini-scenarios for each of the characters but they're not necessary to complete the main quest. I like how generous the game is with f2p players, with guaranteed SSRs gachas usually exclusive to paying players in other games. Just don't let that lull you into spending money though. The battle system is fairly simple and yet offers a lot of options in what you bring to the fights.

凍京NECRO<トウキョウ・ネクロ> SUICIDE MISSION : Despite having Shimokura Vio at the wheel, the original Nitroplus Tokyo Necro scenario writer, the main story is very lackluster and completely lost the appeal of the original, lacking either its cool animated action parts and its darker reflections on zombification. I also disliked the protagonist's strong presence in the story, considering he's a joke and about the weakest character you can get, not to mention his female magnet enhanced ex-brain of whatever. The battle system is fairly limited, it adds positioning but severely lacks variety of actions : attack, wait, one skill with cooldown, that's it. And yet, the auto AI is too stupid to make even a decent use of it. Since the difficulty is cranked way up in raid battle, it's not unusual to just get one-shot. I stopped playing at the first raid event, the management is way too eager to get players to spend money with an abundance of new 特攻 characters for each event (characters whose effectiveness is multiplied for that event), even for multiplayer competitive ones. 特攻 characters is nothing new in the the world of mobile games, but usually they'll go up to x2~300%, meaning you can cover the lack of one by just doing more runs. Here, it goes up to 1400%...

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by kzel View Post
    I'm amazed my rants "reviews" could motivate you to pick up any game I've covered since I tend to always focus on the bad points.
    As weird as it sounds, If I see a VN I'm interested in I generally prefer to read negative reviews about it so I can know the bad points of it beforehand. Of course if it's overly negative it can result in me being uninterested but I feel like you do a good job of objectively addressing their flaws.

That said, I'm currently trying to read 戦女神ZERO and while I still can't understand most it because of the excessive terminology (it also doesn't help that only the female characters are voiced), the gameplay is pretty fun so far and I love the skill system, as well as a small unique mechanic of each character being able to equip up to three weapons.
    Probably not a good idea to play a fantasy title as one of my first VNs so I think I'll just mostly focus on completing the game and come back to it later to replay/reread it.

Thanks
    Achievements:

I also very much focus on moderate to negative reviews when I look up a game, and tend to avoid those that are too lavishly praising the game. Like you I like to know about the bad points and avoid what I don't like, but mostly because I have too many times suffered from having too high expectations when starting a game. The disappointment alone can render what is actually an OK experience pretty terrible, and I prefer to be pleasantly surprised ("Oh it's not as bad as I thought") that the contrary. It's probably why I tend to go towards low-price and less popular games lately.

Doesn't Shin Megami Zero, as with most Eushully games, have a translation for at least the interface? If so I salute your courage in trying to read it in Japanese anyway as your first challenge. I wouldn't say it's a bad idea to start with fantasy, if that's a theme that really interests you. My first Japanese VN was about... rocket science. And it was not easy. Lots and lots of dictionary look-ups. But still, probably the best thing I could have started with considering I most likely wouldn't have put the effort to understand a game that was just standard school life. Once you have some basic Japanese knowledge then I think it's good to broaden your horizon and experiment with things you're not sure you'll like, as the amount of work that will be needed will be significantly lower. You may discover things you'd never have thought you'd enjoy (for me, sugary light-hearted moeges).

Enough of that, time for some comments:

Spoiler: Sugar*Style / Kaname 
    Nothing much to add from my previous comments, and that's a shame. I was somewhat expecting her ability to resist the MC's shimoneta and strike back to make a bit like Kuon from Kanojo * Step, but alas, she isn't nearly as resistant as her age and posture would suggest. While Kaname is cute, her story is shallow and easy to predict from her first episodes alone, and her character displays little growth. I will say that skipping all the common route and just focusing on the heroine episode made for a much better experience than my first time through the game with Mao. The ending left me a bit unsatisfied though :
      Spoiler: Kaname ending 
    The protagonist promised her dad he would find work as soon as he graduated the school, and that was the condition for allowing the dating, but not only does he not find work in the few years after graduating, but where he eventually ends up is... as a teacher is the very school the dad's the director of. That just feels so wrong.

Spoiler: なつくもゆるる 
    I liked あきゆめくくる, Sumikko Soft's next game, some parts more than others but overall it was good. And so, I had their previous work in my list of things to try for a very long time, and finally decided to give it a shot. Overall, I was not disappointed, the story managed to draw me in as much as its successor did and I finished it in just a couple of days, spending (way too) many hours reading it pulled by the desire to know what's coming next. Unfortunately as with あきゆめくくる the conclusion didn't really live up to the setup, ending up in an even more convoluted and fantastic way in a game that many praise as hard science fiction (it's not). Still, it was a fine mystery and the atmosphere was sometimes really intriguing.

Enough with the praise! As with あきゆめくくる, the humor is heavily focused on the shimoneta, sometimes obnoxiously so as it seems it's the only way the writer could find to lighten the mood after a tense scene. Speaking of tense scenes, some of them involve some rather crude depiction of joints being dislocated and borderline torture, don't be fooled by the loli on the cover, it can be quite brutal (in text only, thank god). To top it all, there are a few super-human fights in the game, but honestly I skipped all of them because I have zero interest in that sort of stuff. Reika's character in particular made me cringe everytime I saw her, because it meant either torture or fight, and I grew to really dislike her all the way to the very end, which makes her a good villain I guess. Thankfully these scenes are few and far between.

The heroines are pretty alright, if you like standard characters in loli bodies that is. To be clear, the game's romance aspect is relatively secondary to the story and in effect all but one heroine gets to have a proper future with the protagonist, all the other possibilities being erased for the sake of the plot. In that sense, it's actually good that the bond between protagonist and heroine feels shallow, especially in Himeka's case, as there's not too much regret when having to forcibly move on to the next in what is essentially a one way road. There are a few choices here and there but the route order is fixed and there is no deviation from it. Ecchi scene wise, it wasn't very good with many scenes featuring the protagonist being rather violent with his partner, or the reverse. I prefer more vanilla stuff, especially in the loli genre, that was not one of the game's strong points even for loli lovers. It's a shame as the MC is otherwise a rather decent fellow, but nothing a quick look away while holding CTRL can't fix.

Art is okay (if you like lolis), music ranges from good to disturbing but is generally unremarkable but not unpleasant. I'd recommend the game if looking for a decent suspense story with some science elements.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

finally got time to finish one backlog
    Deep One
    Overall 4/10
    even though they got plenty of characters, not much interact with them. even the dandy magician that shows up in the prologue never show up again till the end of the game.
    despite it has so many text, they all plainly just narrating something that i had to skip because too long and too complicated and not too relevant. even if you didn't skip it, the game isn't actually a long run.
    14gb is just too big for a short story like this. it's not even full voiced. all mob-chara is silent, even the hint animation also 'silent'
    the battle animation that took many space in harddisk

Story 6/10
    the prologue on the first day, which had kasumi fighting howard looks promising. but after that they just telling a random daily of the protagonist which is really not important and didn't even affect the story later on. the actual story starts after the first battle.
    the plot is also dull... just a fighting between family that posses an ancient 'grimoire' and the branch family that wanted it.

Characters Development 5/10
    The Protag is a completely moron and naive, i assume that the company wish to replicate Fate Series. but failed.
    The Antag also quite detestable yet it's characteristic is somewhat lacking.
    The Other Character as well.... despite of having quite a number of sub-character... their conversation or background is really dull. not much of telling yet they leave many mysteries.

H Scene 2/10
    despite of having many lovely heroine or sub characters. it only got 2 scene in a long play. even though the number of female characters are quite a lot.

Plot 3/10
    too many plothole and untold mysteries.

from what i think, either the company wanted to spin off, sequel nor prequel IF the game succeed... or they will release a DLC that contains ero-scene nor DLC to complete the story. otherwise, the game is totally another kusoge with just a good fighting animation scene.
    Last edited by Animaksiat; February 17th, 2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends

That kusoge costs 8800 yen... Is it really that playthrough only for 2 hours? Ahaha...

Thread Information