AS Operational Plan for Q4 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkmate

ピュア&イノセント
Admin
Oct 16, 2010
Hello, everyone.

As you may know, Anime-Sharing Project (AS Project for short), especially AS Forum, has been growing at an accelerated rate and now reached a tremendous size. Let us take this chance to once more thank everyone, contributors and visitors alike, for making this forum a safe and fun playground for all kinds of people and for giving all of us a warm feeling of pride over the community's achievements.

Sadly, growth comes at a price. In this case it is our infrastructure being no longer able to cope with the amount of traffic. We did several updates and optimized every aspect of the browsing process, but several unpredictable developments in the past months hastened the rate at which our servers became inundated with traffic to one far faster than planned. Especially the latest surge of visitors added a huge additional load on the forum.

While we did have really nice plans to update the infrastructure as we grow, they didn't include this stellar a rise. The latest surge alone brought us twice as much traffic as we thought we'd get. The errors popping up here and there on the site are a direct result of this. Therefore we are left with no choice but to upgrade as soon as possible. Specifically, in the fourth quarter of 2011.

There was already a substantial amount of money set aside for updates ($8 000 as initial investment and $2 000 in additional funds over the span of a year, bringing the grand total to $10 000), but as we were about to order the parts unforeseen events interfered once more: The flood in Bangkok caused an unprecedented rise in hardware prices, particularly for HDDs. Not only did prices skyrocket, but stock is also being sold out everywhere and people are now facing strict buying quotas of 2 disks per person. At the time of writing, we are still trying to procure as many HDDs as possible.

For all the planned upgrades we need 40 HDDs and 6 SSDs, out of which we only secured 6 HDDs to date. By cannibalizing several other systems we might be able to make do with severely limited hardware, at least until the situation improves.

We're publicizing this small message to give some insight into what is happening behind the scenes and why the upgrades are taking their time. Currently our funds will still allow us to upgrade and operate without donations from outside since we always carefully picked (and heavily negotiated) for our hardware and bandwidth.

Then again, at the current rate of growth we will sooner rather than later reach a point were AS Project will become unsustainable for us alone, and we do hope we'll be able to count on the generosity of all our members to continue the project then; to maintain and improve your favorite community, right here.

Sincerely,
the AS Staff
Checkmate, corocoro, firev1, GdragonX, girlcelly, Ignis, Ortix, Pinkylicious, Tessu, WsE, and Zero2DS.

Update: Anime-Sharing Infrastructure: An Overview

Reactions: nr345
changes will have to give to give a better experience for Visitors who are now a lot ..
AS we thank you very much to continue working here.

Hope you'll grow and grow. People need to know animes. Yet the bandwith and traffic problems alienates people from that site, I hope you won't face them. Grats again!

Of course, anytime If AS need help, please let us know. We will be ready to do anything which we can. Thanks all AS staff made this forum.

Thanks for everyone's posts. I have seen and enjoy it. I have a question and i want you help me : Why I don't have point and level bar? i have join about 2 month and i have post 30days , What do I do so I can write in the DDL. ? Thanks

Currently our funds will still allow us to upgrade and operate without donations from outside since we always carefully picked (and heavily negotiated) for our hardware and bandwidth.
Couldn't hurt to have a donate section set up anyway. You could always use the extra funds could you not?
I'm sure many members, myself included, would help the site in anyway they could.

Couldn't hurt to have a donate section set up anyway. You could always use the extra funds could you not?
I'm sure many members, myself included, would help the site in anyway they could.

Although I agree 100% with what your saying, I'm sure there are some good reasons that the staff may be against this (or maybe they're not, idk, cant read minds xP). For some reason, when something/someone on the internet has a donation OPTION, people tend to take it a bad way, and totally blow it out of proportion, saying that the site/person is extorting money in exchange for a continuation of said service (in this case, the site. In other cases, like popular youtube channels, the continuation of new videos.).

Either that or staff just doesn't want to (quite yet) start asking for donations because they want to go as long as possible before asking for any kind of funds from the members of the site.

Either way this is an irritable situation, HDD prices, even small ones of a few hundred gigs, have nearly if not DOUBLED in price. I went to go buy a TB drive yesterday off of new egg, expecting to spend $70-$80, only to find out the cheapest I can get is a TB for $140. Though I don't think externals have been hit quite as much, I heard they aren't too bad but I haven't really checked to see for myself.

Thank you for letting us work here and as a parts of a great project and forums. ;)

Thank you for letting us know what is been happening with AS. I wish you good luck in you're crusade and i'm sure you will make it work out :)

Understood, thank you for letting us know.

Good luck in maintaining AnimeSharing! (^_^)b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Khroad Law Professional Corporation is a multi-service law firm located in Brampton. We provide legal services in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Immigration Law, Corporate Law, Wills & Estate, and Civil Litigation.
Nagomikaze wrote on Shine's profile.
Hey, do you have a working Textractor hook for this release? I can only hook the base game. Thanks in advance!
feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi. I need your help once again. would you upload ここから夏のイノセンス!OST?
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.