Your Favorite Anime Genre

ecchi comedy harem romance and often times drama
and lets not forget school life

Historical and Action. Every once in awhile I go and find some Ecchi.

which explains the Inyuasha themed avatar

what kind of historical... like fantasy or magic edo based or like modern day historical fiction

Erm. More or less modern day historical fiction. Like Samurai Champloo. Correct in just about every aspect.

Yeah I don't mind fantasy or magic history either. I like InuYasha. Shippo rocks.

Hmm thats interesting i don't mind historical animes but it doesn't seem that appealing

does is it have more of a passive effect on your decision making or is it something essential to your liking

It is a very fine mixture of both my good sir. It does affect my ability for decision making. Sometimes I need to stop and shake my head to surface the controlled thoughts about a situation.

Personally I like old traditions, ways, thinking and such. They are much more simpler.

Historical anime is important to me. For I can see through a mirror, how Japan's history was, through an entertaining story. I also like to watch one anime and switch directly to a historical and see how big the differences are in story, time frame, area settings, events. Plus you learn something just watching it.

Watching Samurai Champloo, I learned a little more about the Edo era, and Ryukyu islands.

Wow, it's quite rare to find someone who has interest in historical genre. Or at least in my place, that is.

I like to watch Drama anime most, and then Action anime which have a lil bit of Sci-fi or Military sides. Comedy is to my liking too, but seeing many comedies that aren't funny at all these days, I kinda lost interest in it.

Where do you live? is historical a dying breed of Anime?

Nothing wrong with comedy. I like the ones that have very sly jokes or clever uses of wordplay.

Vietnam. If you ask 10 people here, I may say 7 of them say they don't like historical genre. The other 3 may consist of 1,5 elderly, 1.25 middle-age and 0.25 teenagers and below

You draw very valid point that satisfy your own opinion, however like most genres or themes (historical included) to what extent is it too much that it takes away from the anime itself.

For example; there are plenty animes that claim historical but are overshadowed by a fictional fantasy based plot. Not to hate on inyuasha (its the only one off the top of my head) although i am a fan of it, the historical ties are kept simply by several aspects; clothing, profession of the time (monks preists). at which i think is over powered by other themes

or other animes like hyakka ryouran samurai girl or shin koihime musou ( historical (in a sense) ecchi slapsticks)

Do conflicting themes take away your incentive to compare reality with blatant fiction? or what about fictional history(made up history) which most animes revolve around?

In response to PhantomZwie. That is a very low ratio. Do they all share your tastes, or are they completely different?

Now for Mr. Tofoo12, In your own turn, you have also drawn a very fine point. I am an analyst. If it does not make sense or it has, as you said "Conflicting Themes" I get up and find out why it contrasted.

A good example would be from Hayao Miyzaki's "Castle in the Sky" Old time setting, but held alien/advanced technology in the end.

On Historical fiction, I find it most entertaining. I do get up and see what one anime would be based upon. Sometimes it appears as a paraphrase or a re-telling of a well known legend, hero, dynasty, etc in the Japanese history. But is told with new elements. Kind of like how we have so many versions of "Little Red Riding Hood" It is old, but has been re-told over and over again with new twists and turns.

Not very often, but 1 out of 92 will I not bother to get up to find out wether what I just watched was correct in telling something or not. Those are for the days I do not wish to think.

Last edited:
For example; there are plenty animes that claim historical but are overshadowed by a fictional fantasy based plot. Not to hate on inyuasha (its the only one off the top of my head) although i am a fan of it, the historical ties are kept simply by several aspects; clothing, profession of the time (monks preists). at which i think is over powered by other themes

In my opinion, while there are many anime out there that emphasize on the theme, they're mostly targeted at a certain type of viewer, not for everybody. And while there are things like ecchi and fantasy blended in a genres (OK, I'll take historical as example), they're there so that people would want to take a look at it. Historical genre is not something many people want to look at if it's pure historical, but if there are "historical and fantasy" in an anime, there'll be much more viewers. And I'm pretty sure every producer wants as many viewer as possible lol. A piece, before becoming a good work, must have many people watched it first.

Lastly I think, being realistic is good for anime and manga. But if everything in it is realistic, stays true to what had happened, then it isn't anime/manga anymore. So it's a good thing that historical are sometimes mixed with other genres in an anime.

In response to PhantomZwie. That is a very low ratio. Do they all share your tastes, or are they completely different?

Last time I asked a friend of mine if he wanted to watch anime with me, he answered, "I don't like watching cartoon" lol

Last edited:
You speak very truly. If an anime (Historical) contained only the material for the most accurate telling it would be very bland. But on the other hand. If an anime was tell a story in the most accurate way possible, it would first be uncensored. When it's uncensored then obviously violence galore. I will say right now, violence in a History anime should not be dumbed down. Simple biology explains the reaction of violent disruption to flesh and bone. So it already falls into an Action, History sort of thing.

But I must say the Historical anime 100% depends on what article of history is being told. The Iliad by Homer. That if put into an anime, would be and action, adventure, mythological sort of setting. That would be an interest to many viewers. Now if the telling of how the Shogunate came to be. That could be a little more bland. Mainly recounts of skirmishes and heroes grown old. That to most viewers would be a failure.

I am fairly confident that when making an anime, the producers know of this and introduce an add-on element to attract viewers, but without destroying the image of what they are trying to create. Like as said earlier "Ecchi" It is a tease. Mainly for men. But what will take down an anime really fast in my opinion is when Ecchi is used excessively and any historical meaning is lost. This also goes hand in hand with fights. If you got women, you need guns, knives, swords! Then you fight! That does not appeal to me. Some creators realize and fewer balance it out evenly enough.

Realism is a must. It must not be sugar coated, stretched and pulled. That is what gives a good ground to an historical anime. Hey was that, just now the sword known as Masamune? In reading, it is a legendary healing sword. So thus gives ground that this certain kind of anime is real. Or very close to the real world.

Everything I have said here goes the same for Manga. I like it sometimes with a little twist or some third element not mentioned in the books, but yet put in check with a fourth element called truth. That element sadly does not exist in most works now.

I must now retire to my bed. I have no idea what time zone you are in or where you live. But over here it is now bordering 2 in the morning. I have to be up 6 hours to do school work. Goodnight, Mr. PhantomZwei.

Last edited:
too many..
action, adventure, drama, slice-of-life, sci-fi, supernatural, romance, historical, ecchi, etc2..
arghhhhhh................... i'm all-rounded.

Fantasy, Mecha, Romance, slice of life, Comedy, and Harem :D

How many anime genres are their anyway? I sometimes come across new ones but forget what there called.
I think I like psycalogical but of course I like comedy and action and romance but not romance alone or else it might be boring and everything else almost and I prefer a mix of genres.

Ooh this is tough...

Romantic Slice of life is definitely among my favorite genres in both Visual Novels and Anime. Like junna stated it is relaxing. I just finished Shuffle! (both game and anime) and that was a great story.
I also like the animes that are heavy in action, suspense, magic, etc etc.

Im not too heavy on mecha or animes solely based on heavy technology. I mean futuristic technology is good for me in some instances as long as they dont go overboard with the man-operated war machines.

Hmm lets see.. romance, comedy, historical, action, drama, supernatural, slice of life...etc
as long as there is romance I'll certainly watch it xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02
tahmurath wrote on amaimono's profile.
Hi. amaimono. What if you have it savedata Boku No Elf Oneesan "My Elf Elder Sister" just now,
Can you Give me It Savedata ??
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks