what about buying anime?

xiu-kun

Apr 2, 2012
Sometimes I really want buy anime on dvd or bluray for the cover, the collection but you see, DVD are very expensive in japan and its so hard to find them on the internet...are you agree ?
US people are so lucky because they are good recent series on dvd and bluray at low price.
In france ( I'm french..) you are some old anime series on dvd and its not so often. I think its much easy to buy somme american release but dvds are not compatible with european players I'm disapointed:(

So , the ultime solution Its to download them. What do you think about it ?

I aggree with you (I'm french too ^^). DVD/BD anime choice in France is not really interesting, I always watch great animes 3 months before their release in Europe on the internet (thanks to Fansub teams, I love your work ^^).

I would buy animes if they were licensed sooner and sold at a LOWER PRICE, because 19,99€ is a minimum for a recent OAV/anime, and because I'm a student I don't have a lot of money to spend on it.

So I download, but when I love I buy ;)

Last edited:
Same with me, and I'm not even a student anymore.
Bought an anime DVD once, at some renown video store. It even have seal of approved by our government saying that this original.
But when I watched it, the subtitle was very bad. I presumed those people that approved it didn't know the different between original and bootlegged one from oversea.

Now I just DL them. Fansub's sub quality surpassed some of the licensed one, IMO.
I could order them from Japan, but what are the chances of them have (reliable) subtitle. Plus my region and Japan are different.

Hmm regions can be changed in the dvd player but subtitles... nope =.= I would buy too if it was an awesome anime but i dont haves money :/

If I could, I would buy the original DVD/Blu Rays.

Why? First, for support. You have to support for favorite shows and pray hard the support with others hand you a continual to the series, be the form of next season or an OVA. Second, it feels really good. Dont know how many of you have actually experienced the thrill as me, but having a hard copy DVD/Blu Ray and watching it the comfort of your house with a TV rocks. Having hard copies makes you feel real good, trust me.

Blu Rays are region-free and better, so I always try and go for them. Subs? I dont need them. You shouldnt really try to attempt to buy the discs without sub if you are just watching casually. If you are really watching casually, you should not even consider buying discs.

BUT, I havent been buying them now.

Why? Its completely troublesome. Trustable online sources for these are either amazon or cdjapan. Both sites have major disadvantages (amazon being its ridiculous shipping fees, cdjapan for bad shipping rates and is subjected to limited availability of its products). It is not wise, buying original dvd/blu rays OUTSIDE japan. The situation is different however, if you can go around the shipping fees involved. Common ways include having someone to bring back the discs in Japan if he/she travels frequently betweeen the 2 countries. However, odds are exceedingly low to know someone like that.

So yes, if there's a cheaper, better mode of obtaining the originals, I would give it my out and purchase them. Hell I would even work my ass off to pay for the prices of the discs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread