Sailor Moon!

Leggy

Veteran Member
Elite Member
Oct 17, 2012
After more than 20 years, and lots of hope and lots of hype, Sailor Moon is finally back in anime!

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal, known already as Sailor Moon Crystal, aired today, simulcast to a worldwide audience.

For those who never saw the original Sailor Moon anime, or read the manga, you're in for a treat!

For those who have seen the original, and read the mange, you're in for a treat!

Sailor Moon Crystal is a retelling of the Sailor Moon story, the Dark Kingdom arc, that attempts to stay close to the original manga.

When the original anime aired over 20 years ago, it differed from the manga in several key areas, keeping the basic story, but changing many of the details. Some of the characters' personalities were different between anime and manga.

One of the more notorious changes to the original was

Tuxedo Mask's rose. In the anime, Tuxedo Mask's main weapon was a thrown rose. It became his trademark. But in the manga, no roses were ever thrown, not one, ever. That was just an anime gimmick.

The series should be more compact and fast paced than the original, since there was a lot of "TV fluff" added, 20 years back. For example,

The next episode of SMC introduces Sailor Mercury. In the original, we didn't see Sailor Mercury till episode 8.

The original first season was 46 episodes; the new series is 26 episodes, airing every 2 weeks.

Sailor Moon Crystal is a good watch. The artwork and animation are state of the art, the music is clever and modern (I still love Moonlight Denesetu though,) and so far, the details are, indeed faithful to the manga.

Hopefully, if Sailor Moon Crystal is a hit, and I believe it will be, they may produce more manga faithful seasons.

Sailor Moon is back! :cheering::shinies:

I never watched the original SM, so I will give this reboot a shot and see how I like it

EDIT: [MENTION=35259]Leggy[/MENTION]; I just watched the first episode and actually enjoyed it more then I thought I would. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Hmm, Sailor Moon has never really drawn me in but if Leggy thinks so highly of it...

Hmm, Sailor Moon has never really drawn me in but if Leggy thinks so highly of it...

And to be fair, everyone's tastes are different. All I can suggest is try it and see. I think you will enjoy it.

Saw episode one the other day, looking good (in terms of art)

Read above that its a 26 ep season, which i think is great, the original had far too much filler imo.

Definitely looking forward to this, grew up watching the original so this just feels right haha

I'm liking it so far.
I can live with it airing bi-weekly if that means the animation quality is a step up from Toei's other shows.

Ahhh, Sailor Mercury! Next to Sailor Moon, my favorite Sailor Senshi! :lovestruck:

Episode 02 was well done. :dthumbup:

In 2 weeks, Sailor Mars!

Users who are viewing this thread