Question about the tsundere stereotype

thebog64

Trusted Member
Jun 2, 2012
I honestly just don't see the appeal about the archetype, or at least how it's handled a lot of the times. I get the basic principle of dude makes a goof -> tsundere kicks his ass, which is fine, especially is the dude really earned it. The thing that irks me is how most of the time it just devolves into the things that make the tsundere to go off becoming more and more harmless and a lot of the time are not even the poor guys fault. Take anime like Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Kore wa zombie desu ka, Love Hina for example, I wonder if people just ignore the abrasive behaviour the tsundere in those shows have or if they are actually enjoying seeing them pummel a guy for the smallest transgressions.

So, do you guys also think that tsundere only really work if the beatings are well-earned? If not, what makes the stereotype enjoyable to you?

Yknow, I'd like to see an anime for once that instead of playing the tsundere for cheap laughs and running gags actually takes it dead-serious and has the cast treat this behaviour like a serious problem. An anime that shows the struggle of a tsundere having to deal with her anger issues and the backlash that they incur would be a nice change of pace.

Some I really, really like are...:

- Kirino from My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute ?? ^^
- Vegeta from Dragon Ball (Z/Super/GT)
- Chitoge from Nisekoi

I still know another one but I just can't manage to remember it. It has a male MC that has been summoned to a fantasy world. The female MC has red hair and is an extreme tsundere. I just don't remember the name T_T It has more than one season too!

Tbh, Vegeta probably is the biggest tsundere of all time (untill later in the series...where he does something quite non-tsundere!!)

I remember a series I watched a while ago, can't remember the proper name of it. I think it was "The Friend's Club" or something like that. That was along those lines, but it was sorta like My Little Sister, Can't be this cute. Which to main guy is in the same situation with a couple of the girls.
Both of those drew me in and then pissed me of with the endings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha