Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion <SPOILERS INSIDE>

加藤浩

Full Pledged Lolicon
Elite Member
Jul 14, 2013
Post your thoughts and any comments for those out there who are excited to watch the new Madoka movie.
Personally, I can't stop watching the trailers.

Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion

Ah, that's it. I knew it started with an "R." Saw the trailer during the NYCC Aniplex panel, although I think the one I saw was slightly longer...
And yes, very excited. :bigeyes:

This is Madoka we are talking about. I'M REALLY REALLY EXCITED. :D

That said, I still have to watch the first 2 movies. <_<

Can't wait! but same as BlueMage, have to watch the other 2 first xD

That's going to be awesome!!!

Gonna pre-order my tickets as soon as available. Missing this is not an option. And that new ClariS song, カラフル, so good.

This post contains zero spoilers.

So I couldn't wait. I watched Rebellion in camrip with the camera that didn't capture the entire screen.

While I seem to be back to normal now, I was completely speechless when the film ended. I haven't been able to wrap my head around the events and I demand we engage in a thorough discussion as to what the hell happened whenever you guys get around to seeing it. That is all.

I'm watching it next month in LA.

MADOKA MOVIE PART 3 DISCUSSION <HUGE SPOILERS>

Discussion of Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: The Rebellion Story. Post your thoughts and pure your soul in this thread. I personally cried and did not even know why. The shock of the ending was too great. Truly worthy of being called a tragedy.

Re: MADOKA MOVIE PART 3 DISCUSSION <HUGE SPOILERS>

Are we abandoning this thread? I left my thoughts on that already.

Reactions: KingArturia

[MENTION=59026]加藤浩[/MENTION] What do you want me to do? Close this thread? Close that thread? or merge the two together?

Merging the two together would be a good idea, I just thought I should make this one apart since it would contain spoilers. The first one was meant for those who have not seen the movie yet.

I figured that was the case, but seeing as how it's starting to hit theatres in North America now (or very soon), it may become redundant to have a "speculation thread".

To bring back what I wrote in the other thread:

Myself said:
So I couldn't wait. I watched Rebellion in camrip that didn't capture the entire screen.

While I seem to be back to normal now, I was completely speechless when the film ended. I haven't been able to wrap my head around the events and I demand we engage in a thorough discussion as to what the hell happened whenever you guys get around to seeing it. That is all... for now.

Nov 17, 21:24:
Jesus they got Warner Bros on this film.
edit: omg this transformation thing is so LOL

Nov 17, 23:54:
Holy -
I just finished Rebellion. I am speechless. I almost want to curl up and let 2 days fly by.

Topic question (previously posed elsewhere):
What do you think this film departs with?
I think it exits with the realization Homura will never have a normal life with Madoka ever againm like there's always bound to be something that will take her away in one way or another, hence why she seemingly commits suicide(?) at the end.
I agree with the first part, which was likely the driving force for what she did in the second half. I think she did it to stop Madoka from being taken away from her, seeing as she has incredible powers now. As for her committing suicide, to me it didn't look like she did.

Me: I wasn't sure about it, but it sure looked like a sign of giving up.

What kept me on edge was the amount of tricks both Homura and Mami deployed in battle. The choreography was pretty good actually. The bullet to the head against was a huge gamble.

What I'm still unsure about is what the parameters of the new universe is, the one Homura created... also, how the hell did she gain the power to take away Madokami's power?

All I know is, I feel incredibly sad for her.

Given up in the sense that her old methods had brought Madoka into an unseen entity. I'd guess that greed and love made her lead to the decisions that she made, and maybe in some twisted way her wish allowed her to do it also.

Discussion ends there, but to draw back to the question (and to pose more to get your mind going), what do you think this film departs with? What do you think the theme of the film was this time and did you think it was a fulfilling experience based on the events that happened before? Did it answer any questions you've had at the end of the TV series or two films? What do you think makes this film successful/unsuccessful?

To branch off on another tangent, here's a completely different question I have for you readers. If you wanted to get someone unfamiliar with the Madoka series to watch the 3rd film, without wasting a lot of their time, what would you do to ensure they've acquired sufficient background knowledge to understand where the events in Rebellion take off? Would you suggest going with the summarized films? Or would you argue that the first two films alone may have left some untied ends that is crucial to having the same level of understanding of witch hunters as those who sat through all 12 episodes?

So far, I feel that knowing about the minor characters have little to no significance as they barely came around to being important to the plot of Rebellion. Having rough knowledge of the character's origin of being a witch hunter would probably be enough to watch the 3rd film without missing anything. Let's break it down:

-That love triangle between Sayaka and friends weren't important after all. It has no impact on Rebellion. All we know is that Sayaka is a witch because she succumbed to the grief. That is covered briefly in the films. Well then again, it was her wish–along with all the sequenced events– that showed us why it wasn't a good idea to form a contract with Kyubey.

-Knowing why Kyoko became a witch wasn't significant either. All we know now is that she's just another player on the team. Weakest link if you ask me.

-In the case of Mami, her death in the TV series hasn't played a huge impact other than hinting to us (once again) that the story takes place in alternate timeline/world. It should be easy to spot since her brutal death was shown in the first film and how she is alive again in the second.

-As for Madoka and Homura, everything we probably need to know about them to pick up on Rebellion's content has probably been covered in the 2 films. I mean, it better have done so if they expect audience unfamiliar with the series to engage with Rebellion.

Rebellion revolved around mostly around everything we learned about Madoka and Homura in episodes 10 to 12, and most of the stuff above (I felt) doesn't seem important to be knowledgeable of to have a fulfilling (or alternate) experience during Rebellion.

Last edited:

Yay crackpot theories!

Whereas the TV series / first two movies were an ode to Faust, Rebellion is an ode to Paradise Lost.

Homura broke the Madokami universe when she told Kyubey that there was a more efficient way of gathering energy (turning magical girls into witches). She sacrifices herself (her sanity, her mortality) to not only bring back her friends (at the cost of their memories), but also to defeat Kyubey.

It's also possible that at the end of Rebellion, magical girls (and thus witches) no longer exist.

It's even more likely that this is cyclical, meaning that Madoka will one day regain her powers and change the entire universe again. We get a hint when her eyes glow gold before Homura suppresses Madoka's powers and refers to Madoka as her enemy. So we'll get this yin-yang battle between selflessness (Madokami) and selfishness (Akuma Homura). That could explain the stinger at the end where there's a half moon, and a half cliff.

Rebellion: still a better love story than Twilight

I am a bit confused on how the new cycle for mahou shoujo is suppose to work. In the, when Homura was talking to Sayaka, she states that she has only pprevent Madoka's essence from disappearing. Those that mean that the mahou shoujo still don't turn to witches and still fight wraiths or what? And if that's the case, then hope are they saved from becoming witches when Madoka's God powers are being suppressed?

Thread merged

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02
tahmurath wrote on amaimono's profile.
Hi. amaimono. What if you have it savedata Boku No Elf Oneesan "My Elf Elder Sister" just now,
Can you Give me It Savedata ??
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks