Looking for "smart" anime with interesting story

John Titor

Dec 29, 2014
Hello forum,

I need help with finding new anime. I'm looking for a rather mature one with a strong plot (so no talking cats or "oh she is so kawaii!" anime pls :D).

Its hard to explain what Im looking for and I dont watch much anime, so I'll tell you what I watched so far and why I liked it.

-Death Note: I watched this a few years ago so I forgot most about it. I remember that I liked the change in the protagonist from wannabe hero to murdering sociopath and antihero. It was very interesting how Light and L were trying to outsmart each other. Well written story. I also liked the dark atmosphere.

-Steins Gate: I'm actually reading the novel right now, after a slow start Im captivated by the mindbending and sometimes philosophical plot. Story is very well written and I will watch the anime for sure.

-Basilisk Chronicles of the Kouga Ninja: I like ninja and samurai and am interested in this particular era in Japans history. This anime is brutal and has mysterious characters and a very grim/dark atmosphere. I enjoyed it a lot.

-Berserk: A lot of slaughter, no story. I liked it just for the graphic violence.

-Elfenlied: was recommended to me. I found it rather boring. The characters are as interesting as a brick wall. No story. I skipped a lot of the dialogue, the action scenes were pretty cool though.

-Ergo Proxy: What I liked about this was the dark and claustrophobic atmosphere. The feeling of loneliness/Isolation and the mysterious world.

-Samurai Champloo: lighthearted and funny. Mysterious characters. A nice blending of historical japan and modern influences like hip hop.

Movies: Ninja Scroll
Akira
Ghost in the shell

So in short: I guess I like anime with a well written plot, with a dark/grim/hopeless atmosphere and some mystery. Perhaps from the sci fi or historical genres. I dont mind violence, blood or nudity, but it doesnt have to be the central theme.

Thank you for reading this far, I hope you guys can give me some good recommendations on what to watch next.

Hmm... Could there also older seasons be, or already the newest...???

Doesnt matter, it can be 30 years old or brand-new ;)

Ahaa, I see it... Well, I did me decided some from Fall-seasons and from the upcoming season to pick up for you:

Terra Formars: Dark-sci-fi anime...

WIXOSS: A card-battle anime - not underestimate, because it has the atmosphere like Magical Madoka...

Fate/Stay Night-UBW: Aah... What for a epic-dark-fanatsy-anime...

Girlfriend (Kari): A cute silence-of-life anime...

Tokyo Ghoul: As well dark anime...

Sengoku Musou: Japanese-civil-war anime...

Well, this would the small offer from me, but if you more want - Then let me know, okay?:goodtea:

Thank you Nanashi, you are awesome!

Terra Formars, Fat/Stay Night, Tokyo Ghoul and Sengokuu Musouu look very interesting, I will check those out.
I watched the trailers for Girlfriend (Kari) and WIXOSS, it didnt look like my style. I dont like these teen school series, I prefer adult oriented anime.

Can you also recommend something more story or character driven like Death note or Steins gate? Maybe with some mystery. Or perhaps something in a dystopian future? It doesnt have to be about fighting.

Thanks again!

Can you also recommend something more story or character driven like Death note or Steins gate? Maybe with some mystery. Or perhaps something in a dystopian future? It doesnt have to be about fighting.!

About the previously listed animes...?

No, different ones. Something with a story that made you go "wow", a series that made you think or that had surprising twists.

So far my to watch list is:
Garden of sinners
Terra Formars
Fate/Stay Night
Tokyo Ghoul
Sengoku Musou

But maybe I should watch these first before asking for more. :fulfilled:

No, different ones. Something with a story that made you go "wow", a series that made you think or that had surprising twists.

So far my to watch list is:
Garden of sinners
Terra Formars
Fate/Stay Night
Tokyo Ghoul
Sengoku Musou

But maybe I should watch these first before asking for more. :fulfilled:

Oh yeah...~ Kara no kyoukai (Garden of sinners) is really a good choice: I love this saga...:goodtea:

And there are more what me just now in my head jumped is:

Another: Horror-survivor anime...

Akame ga kill!: Assassin-fantasy-anime...

Mahouka koukou no rettousei: Sci-fi-action-anime...

Sword art online (I-II): Sci-fi-virtual-fantasy-survivor-anime...

Reactions: John Titor
"Another" looks very interesting, I will take a look at the others too. Thank you Nanashi :dthumbup:

edit: if anybody else has some ideas feel free to post, preferably series that are finished so I dont have to wait for new episodes and subs :baby:

Kara no Kyoukai, Psycho-Pass S1 (S2 was fine as well), Fate/Zero (since I like it more than Night), Baccano, Code Geass, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Durarara, maybe Kaze no Stigma, Black Lagoon, Canaan, Darker than Black S1, maybe Ga-Rei Zero, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Jormungand S1 and S2.

And because I like these: Gintama and Natsume Yuujinchou

Thanks Shir0. I've heard about Psycho Pass and Code Geass, those look pretty cool. I'll check out your other mentions too. Kara no Kyoukai is on my list too :thumbup:

Reactions: trtlatstewa
Hmm... Kara no Kyoukai, Another, Psycho-Pass, Black Lagoon, Canaan, Ga-Rei Zero... These works, I also recommend.
Additionally when thinking by the genre like the mystery and suspense, thriller...

- Hyouka: It is the story of the high school student, but the original is a whodunit getting a high evaluation in Japan.
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Horror and mystery that makes PC game original.
- Gosick: Year-long historical drama, Reasoning and Detective story that girl and boy develop in Europe immediately before World War I.
- Shiki: Fight of villager and people who turn zombie in a secluded village. The original is a mystery novel of Japan.
- Mirai Nikki: Psychological thriller that a boy is dragged into in the world of an enigmatic girl.

I forgot to write an essential work. It's one of the most favorite works for me.

- Noir: A woman and the girl who are a professional murderer continue a trip of the search for oneself under the theme of "a pilgrimage to the past". The story is set in Europe (France chiefly).

A couple of movies that might fit your bill:

Patema Inverted - Sakasama no Patema
A girl from an underground civilization finds her way to the surface, only to discover that gravity is reversed for her. Can she avoid falling to her death in the sky?

Princess Mononoke
Set in the early history of Japan, a prince kills a demon, but the demon curses him. Now he must find the demon's source, and stop the curse before it kills him.

Both are highly acclaimed classics! Well worth watching!

I'm a bit late to the party, but you should try following:

-Serial Experiments: Lain: This is a classic landmark series in cyberpunk (both Western and Japanese), and one of the most analyzed animes ever created. It goes on to influence other extremely popular and landmark films and series, like The Matrix Trilogy, Sword Art: Online, Ergo Proxy, and, yes, even Steins;Gate.

-Texhnolyze: This was created and developed by the same people who did Lain, and a classic in its own right (albeit less well know). Unlike Lain, it is incredibly bleak and gruesome. It is a cyberpunk that focus on the de-evolution of the human condition and extinction of human society in the midst of technological and philosophical evolution. Quite a few of the techniques used in Lain were used in Texhnolyze, which personified the bleakness of the series. However, unlike Lain, in this series, there is no hope, so, avoid this if you don't like hopeless shows.

-Haibane Renmei: This was actually created some of the creators of Lain. It is, by far, the weakest of the trio. Think of this as a better developed, more serious, and more tasteful Angel Beats.

-Ima Soka ni Iru Boku: I'm actually really surprised and disappointed that this anime isn't well know, and that most people haven't even heard of this. The plot of this anime is centered around a war torn world that has quickly descended into chaos due to a sociopathic and ruthless dictator. Although it's main theme is hope and perseverance, it is unrelenting in it's imagery of the aftermath war, rape, starvation, and death. Think of it as Grave of the Fireflies, only much longer, and encompassing much more tragedies of war. Even though this is one of my favorite animes of all time, I have a hard time watching it again, because I know what's going to happen.

-Grave of the Fireflies: This is arguably the defining movie of Studio Ghibli (and ironically, it's not produced by Hayao Miyazaki, but by his contemporary, Isao Takahata), and it is often listed as one of the best war films of all time. It's like Ima Soka ni Iru Boku, but it's meaning gets lost within the conflict of cultures.

-Gankusuou: The Count of Monte Cristo: This is an adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. Although there are quite a few holes in the plot, and it's not that original, it's plot is complex, the artwork is beautifully done, and each episode flows perfectly with the one before it.

All of Masaaki Yuasa's works. Kaiba, Mindgame, Ping Pong, The Tatami Galaxy, and Kemonozume. I would argue that he is one of the few true auteurs in the anime industry.

The entire Ghost in the Shell franchise is pretty great. It's latest entry Arise was a bit sub par, but still better than your average anime.

Shiki is a very good vampire show that doesn't depict them as something glamorous and romantic.

Last but not least, Fooly Cooly. Packs more depth, humor, and gorgeous animation into six episodes than most shows four or five times it's length.

Hope that helps:)

So you're looking for serious (if at all possible thought-provoking) stuff without the "moe".... as people often put it.

Legend of Galactic Heroes is one I have yet to watch but have been told numerous times it is brilliant, one of the best shows ever.

Aside from what's already mentioned, I'd skip Terra Formars. It's heavy on violent battles but it isn't "smart".

If you want to challenge your criteria, despite it having cats and moe-content, the Aria series (not Hidan no Aria)... It's pure Slice of Life, but it concludes on one of the more inspiring (and IMO romantic) levels, but I think you can only experience this level of happiness if you wind down and relax throughout the series.

It's not action-packed, at all, is not set in modern Japan with squeaky-toned schoolgirls. The humour is subtle and it is really an escape to a world inspired by Venice, Italy. Want a mental vacation? Look no further.

One that's worth looking into is, Akatsuki no Yona - The Girl Standing in the Blush of Dawn

It's currently running, episode 15 (of 24) just aired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha