Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Raw (In Japanese, without subs)

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

pichu655889

Incompetent Teitoku
Elite Member
Sep 13, 2013
I don't know if it's just me, but I prefer fansubs to official subs (like Crunchyroll). My reasons being:

1) Fansubs generally have better typesetting
2) Fansubs generally include karaoke :D
3) Fansubs generally have better overall quality

Somehow to me, fansubbers just seem to care more, though maybe they might not be as good or accurate in translation compared to official subbers, I that find they do a better job overall. I also feel a little guilty for not doing anything to support the creators but anime really isn't very accessible where I am...

(No need to talk about dubs - personally I feel that they take away something from the original and you can't pick up much Japanese from watching dubs anyway)

Well, that was me rambling. What do you guys think? Fansubs or Official Subs? Please share! :)

Reactions: GenKiDan
I generally watch anime with fansubs. Where i live anime is not really available, and like you i feel kind of guilty, but sometimes there aren´t many choices.

Fansubs or get out! (Half the staff are within the fansub business :P )

Official subs, like fansubs, depend entirely on the people/staff working on it.

Fansubs are awsome expect GG subs
Most fan subs leave the names and honofics alone, expet GG
I dispise offical subs, they always westernise the names and tranlate the honofics

fan subs definitely... legible typefaces, use of honorifics (not just -san's, but onii's etc), explaining cultural references!!!

BUT, sometimes you get those fan subs which are TERRIBLE. i remember watching an episode of kimi no iru machi (and SNK) and the subber clearly wasnt a native english speaker, ended up using A LOT of slang which made next to no sense or was used completely out of context.

EDIT* oh, and dubs can die... 90% of the time (at least in english dubs) most of the emotion is lost in translation. incredibly annoying.

Fansubs are awsome expect GG subs
Most fan subs leave the names and honofics alone, expet GG
I dispise offical subs, they always westernise the names and tranlate the honofics

gg isn't bad! I get some of my anime from them.

fan subs definitely... legible typefaces, use of honorifics (not just -san's, but onii's etc), explaining cultural references!!!

BUT, sometimes you get those fan subs which are TERRIBLE. i remember watching an episode of kimi no iru machi (and SNK) and the subber clearly wasnt a native english speaker, ended up using A LOT of slang which made next to no sense or was used completely out of context.

EDIT* oh, and dubs can die... 90% of the time (at least in english dubs) most of the emotion is lost in translation. incredibly annoying.

I just cringe when I hear dubs... they just fail so badly in portraying the character, although that's understandable since the pool of voice actors is different compared to Japan's.

And I have to agree on the use of honorifics. It feels so weird seeing "Mr. Tanaka" instead of "Tanaka-san", and the relationship between characters are lost when Japanese honorifics are translated.

I just cringe when I hear dubs... they just fail so badly in portraying the character, although that's understandable since the pool of voice actors is different compared to Japan's.

And I have to agree on the use of honorifics. It feels so weird seeing "Mr. Tanaka" instead of "Tanaka-san", and the relationship between characters are lost when Japanese honorifics are translated.

i also hate when they change the names to dumb it down for the audience (eg Serena instead of USAGI!!!!!!!)

I dislike GG because they always westernize the names and no honofics, just like R1 DVD subs, which I hate it ruins the experinse for me

Most of anime I watch now is fan-sub because I spend most of my fund on manga and novel. ^_^"

I spend more of my money on light novels and music :XD: . Not that I wouldn't want to spend on anime though, but I don't have enough money :sowwy:

I actually thought the only reason to get fansubs was because ppl where too impatient to wait for official ones if it where to even ever be licensed to the west.

Fansub for me. Their translations are usually more reasonable

I choose Official Subs, because Sentai Filmwork and other licensed company like Funimation have better translation than Fansub.

Fansubs are awesome expect GG subs
Most fan subs leave the names and honorifics alone, expect GG
I despise official subs, they always westernize the names and translate the honorifics
No wonder, I don't understand.:reallyconfused: I correct your misspelling.
I dislike GG because they always westernize the names and no honorifics, just like R1 DVD subs, which I hate it ruins the experience for me
Even your spelling is wrong. No wonder, I don't understand.:reallyconfused: Honorifics? Do you speak that on your country?

I choose Official Subs, because Sentai Filmwork and other licensed company like Funimation have better translation than Fansub.

Even your spelling is wrong. No wonder, I don't understand.:reallyconfused: Honorifics? Do you speak that on your country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorific
Japanese honorifics would refer to the -san, -chan, -sama, etc.

And there was nothing wrong with magicalgirlj's spelling..?

Oh, you corrected the mistakes when quoting. Sorry, didn't notice that.

No I am just a bad speller, sorry

I can't say which one I prefer since each subs won't be absolutely perfect.
Sometime Fansub is better than Official and the other way around.
But the plus point of fansub is the visual and have better editing(?)

I personally look for official subs because some fan subs can go way out of context with what the character was originally trying to say. Not all fan subs are like that of course, but I prefer to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。
nanashinanashi wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/111125-overdrive-d2b-vs-deardrops-cross-the-future.1174725/ to katefile or mexashare or rosefile.Thanks
Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.