Animes Based on Games

Cinderwood

Experimenting on you...
Elite Member
Oct 30, 2011
I've always been partial to animes that are based on games (including, but not limited to ero games). So I wanted to start a thread for people to post their opinions on animes that are based on games. For the sake of discussion, it may help if you've both played the game and seen the anime, but this is not required :D

For my part, here are a few from my list (with more added as time permits):

Disgaea:
Ah, my beloved time-sink. I think I've devoted more time to this marvelous level grind and it's offshoots than I have to any other game series. Wonderfully memorable characters and just enough tongue in cheek jokes to push the forth wall without making fun of itself.

As far as the anime adaptation went, I was glad they were able to get the English voice actors from the game to do the dub (No one can laugh like Laharl). Although the plot was loosely based on the game, there was enough variety so that you didn't know what was coming next. I was a little disappointed that they chose one of the bad endings to base the end of the series on, but it was nice that the creators didn't take the traditional happy ending route.

Star Ocean EX:
Another favorite game of mine. A customizable set of significantly different characters allowed for multiple playthroughs without becoming too stale. Battles couldn't really be automated though, so you had to attend to things even when you didn't necessarily want to. An interesting story kept the game moving along, which leads into my complaint about the anime...

Star Ocean Ex give time to most of the characters and does a fairly decent job portraying them (though Ashton comes off entirely too whiny). But the series only covers the first half of the game. The main villains for the game never really even come into play in the animated series, which i found profoundly disappointing. Much of what I liked about the plot developed in the later half of the series, which is largely ignored in the anime. Still, the series was fun if only to revisit the characters of the game.

Most anime nowadays are based off some other source, and that's exactly what separates Angel Beats! from other anime for me since it was originally an anime, but that's off-topic.

Anyways, the only game-based anime (excluding visual novels since a large portion are based off them) I've watched are the Final Fantasy VII movie and OVAs. Since I haven't played the game, I couldn't enjoy it as much as I'd like to have.

Last edited:
Tales of the abyss is the last one I can even remember being "not to bad" to people. (Never was a fan of tales games, didn't want to even give the anime a minute honestly)

There's so many examples of series that where unwatchable to any sane person like Devil May Cry (might even be 1 of the absolute worst...) that it's gotten to the point of video game movie adaptations almost..

VN's are a whole other bag to be honest. Eroge's have a pretty bad reputation for most of them also except some of the hentai adaptations rather then "normal ecchi anime" some try to pull.

There's always exceptions, but overall, they're pretty terrible.

I've heard a lot of things about Persona 4. Primarily, that it's very true to the game (which is the only reason I haven't watched it, since I haven't gotten around to playing the game yet). Any comments?

Considering most games that was animelized are console games, I don't have any experienced on trying both. It's always just the anime that I've tried, coz I'm more on a PC gaming.
Though I do have Ai Yori Aoshi, both in anime and game a few years ago, but never try them...yet. Still waiting in my HDD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Suziiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Could you please reup this on mexashare if you have it still? Thanks

https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/100924-ローズクラウン-bloods~淫落の血族2~.23054/
vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 676387

upd
vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 1106310
lgbtgenshinasianhate wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/✨shine✨-240328-rad-revel-【10日間限定ドスケベ4大特典付き】【全編お下品オホ声】x【全編お下品ねっとりベロチュー】低音〜ドスケベワイフ〜相愛子作りお下品チン媚びドスケベねっとり孕ませ交尾-rj01166786.1461947/
Hi,Please re-upload the file as this file is throwing an error "not compatible OS", and it does not start after trying compatibility mode as well.
somacruz63 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.